PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite window manager and why?

gymophett
May 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
If this is already a thread, please move it to recurring discussions.
Mine is OpenBox. Probably because it's clean, simple, light, and beautiful. I love the looks, it just makes me happy. I love how fast it is too. Right when I click, my app pops up at that instant. What about you?

dragos240
May 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
fluxbox/metacity. Metacity, very stylish, attractive, easy. Fluxbox, lightweight, attractive, easy, functional.

koshatnik
May 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Flux is nice. Just tried KDE4.2 and WOW! Stunningly good. And that's from someone that pathelogically hated KDE 3.x

Top work.

billgoldberg
May 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Flux is nice. Just tried KDE4.2 and WOW! Stunningly good. And that's from someone that pathelogically hated KDE 3.x

Top work.

KDE -> Kwin.

I mostly use Compiz Fusion.

If I need to make a lightweight system, I prefer Fluxbox.

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I don't use it but I think it's the coolest prettiest WM I've ever seen

Awesome WM

gymophett
May 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM
KDE -> Kwin.

I mostly use Compiz Fusion.

If I need to make a lightweight system, I prefer Fluxbox.

I wonder why my KDE looked like Windows 98 when I installed it. :[
I wanted to try it, but mine looked like crap!
I may try a Kubuntu LiveCD/USB. If I like it, I'll back up all my files to a USB. Sorry this is offtopic, but is there a program that will back up all the files I want to USB other than drag n' drop?

Screwdriver0815
May 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
KDE 4.2 because its great. It looks WAY better than Gnome, the apps are more sophisticated and it has a more professional appearance which you can see in the whole system.

also Kwin is more integrated in KDE than Compiz is in Gnome and so I have the feeling that Kwin is more stable and doesn't slow down the computer so much.

Namtabmai
May 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I don't use it but I think it's the coolest prettiest WM I've ever seen

Awesome WM

I do use it and it's name is apt.
What a WM should do for me? Stay out of my way and let me get on with using my computer. Awesome is one of the few that really lets me do that.

Xbehave
May 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM
kde3 - can be customised and take up no screenspace while offerning a full featured DE

thisllub
May 25th, 2009, 12:31 AM
OpenBox is simple and fast.
Hot Keys keep your hands on the keyboard and off the mouse.

Tipped OuT
May 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Okay, okay I'm giving KDE another try again. *sigh* --Installed KDE on Ubuntu--

gymophett
May 25th, 2009, 05:41 AM
OpenBox is simple and fast.
Hot Keys keep your hands on the keyboard and off the mouse.

I love the hot keys, but you can have them in any WM. They are just default in OpenBox.

gymophett
May 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Okay, okay I'm giving KDE another try again. *sigh* --Installed KDE on Ubuntu--

I just tried it again. Still ain't catchin my hurr. :P
& no, I do not talk like that.

Icehuck
May 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM
My favourite at the moment is going to be dwm. As soon as I sort some issues on my laptop out, it most likely will be Musca.

I like dwm because its small and pretty straight forward to configure. After using a tiling WM it's hard to go back to something like gnome. It seems like a DE gets in my way of trying to do a couple things at once.

gymophett
May 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
My favourite at the moment is going to be dwm. As soon as I sort some issues on my laptop out, it most likely will be Musca.

I like dwm because its small and pretty straight forward to configure. After using a tiling WM it's hard to go back to something like gnome. It seems like a DE gets in my way of trying to do a couple things at once.

Very light looking.
Almost like Rat Poison.

kagashe
May 25th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Openbox but on LXDE because LXDE meta package brings PCManFM which is my favorite File Manager and adds LXPanel because I need some panel.

kagashe

CJ Master
May 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM
People:

KDE = Kwin
Gnome = Metacity or Compiz

KDE and Gnome in theirselves are Desktop Enviroments (DE)'s.

And compiz actually takes up less processing power then metacity, it just transfers most of it to the graphics card.

Ah, my favorite? Openbox. Compiz and Kwin is good for impressing my friends :P

sim-value
May 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Fluxbox is the best window manager.
I am sure everyone agree with me.

:lolflag:

I like Compiz Fusion because combined with Gnome DO and with all Panels Removed it gives me the Ultimate Work enviroment ... and its SHINY !!!!

don_quixote
May 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Compiz. I don't really use anything else, it's fantastic.

m_duck
May 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ah, my favorite? Openbox.
Openbox is also my favourite, though I am tempted to try compiz standalone at some point just to see how it is. I've also been using dwm on my eee recently which is great because you almost never need to use the touchpad which can only be a good thing!

Mark76
May 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM
OroboROX. Because

1: It's just a window manager. No panels, no menus, no compositing.

2: It can use xfwm themes (just download, extract, move the theme folder to the OroboROX themes folder and then copy (drag and drop) an AppRun file from a native OroboROX theme), so you don't have to worry about the relative paucity of themes compared to other WMs

3: Setting window behaviour, workspaces and keybindings is easy.

4: It has a handy colour scheme editor.

5: It fits in with the ROX desktop.

chucky chuckaluck
May 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
compiz alone, i guess. it's like a fancy openbox (the wm i've used the most, by far). the two things that make it beat out openbox are expo and smart window placement. i also like all the pretty asterisks.

edit: damn! kdemod keeps drawing me back. i hate myself for being so easy.

-grubby
May 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Wmii. It tiles (and manages to be kind of friendly at the same time).

kk0sse54
May 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
AwesomeWM- since it's fast and highly customizable as well as providing the functionality of both a tiling WM and a floating WM.

init1
May 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Depends what mood I'm in. lwm, wm2, and flwm are pretty cool.

sertse
May 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM
evilwm, lwm if I am being extremely minimal (or masochistic)

fluxbox by itself or as a WM for other things normally.

gjoellee
May 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
KDEmod.

KDEmod is KDE, just modified slightly so it works better with Arch Linux. It gives great flexibility and KDE look really good to. KDEmod uses less resources then GNOME;
KDEmod usesabout 230MB RAM
GNOME uses about 260MB RAM

KDEmod does also have several repositories and mirrors, which gives you a lot of choices on what you want to install. KDEmod very up to date, and if a new verison of KDE gets released, the new verison of KDEmod normally gets released within a few hours.

etnlIcarus
May 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I can't believe anyone would vote for Metacity. It's only marginally more functional and elegant than using Windows.

The best:

OpenBox. Not the fanciest but extremely polished, extremely light and is pretty well featured. Shame they killed the *box-style taskbar and I don't actually use it.

Honourable mentions:

Xfwm4. Not too dissimilar to Openbox, just without the menu and with slightly crappier theming capabilities.

Awesome. Still haven't gotten around to using it but everything I've seen of it impresses me. Extremely configurable and extremely functional.

Compiz (begrudgingly, + emerald). It's buggy and the only decent decorator is in need of immediate replacement/major maintenance but, once properly configured (ie. turning off the cube), it offers usability enhancements that no other WM (bar Kwin) comes close to matching. If compiz ever becomes truly stable, allows access to functionality through the issuing of commands (primarily so one can create panel launchers, instead of having to use shotcuts/hot-corners) and gets a replacement for emerald that removes no functionality, it shall truly achieve immortality.

Kwin. If only it weren't so out-of-place in a non-KDE environment.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I use this DWM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager). :D