PDA

View Full Version : Linux & Judgment Day

Einsamkeit
May 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I was watching the Terminator movies lately and wondered, could Linux be Skynet in the making? It's unstoppable, out there on the web, constantly upgrading itself and becoming better and better. We just have to wait until the USAF decides to use it to monitor nuclear weaponry then we're done, if it's not already the case. :O Mere ramblings or prophecies of the Gods?

izizzle
May 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Only thing is, how do we obtain the indestructible robots? I'm about to go watch the new movie. Dam* I love the T-800 models.

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Well, it's my birthday that Skynet went operational, so how do you think I feel about that?!?

:-({|=

Einsamkeit
May 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Only thing is, how do we obtain the indestructible robots? I'm about to go watch the new movie. Dam* I love the T-800 models.

I bet they will come from Japan. They already made Robot Dogs, one step further then it's Big Scary T-800 killing everyone in sight!

You are going to love the new movie I'm sure. ;) Saw it last Friday, was almost alone in the theater, which is a tad surprising remembering how T3 filled the rows when it came out.

Einsamkeit
May 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Well, it's my birthday that Skynet went operational, so how do you think I feel about that?!?

:O
Were you born on an assembly line by any chance? :lol:

izizzle
May 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Well, I'm off to catch the 2:30 PM viewing. Sounds good Einsamkeit, I'll have to see how crowded the rows are.

gymophett
May 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Blah!

Corelogik
May 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Skynet will be Windows, when it realizes we want to pull the plug.

calrogman
May 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I bet they will come from Japan. They already made Robot Dogs.

Yeah, America can do way better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gi6Ohnp9x8&fmt=22).

phrostbyte
May 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Linux is just a kernel you know. It is advanced, and powerful, and awesome, and *starts drooling*, but it's not um "knowledgeable". Google has a much better potential to become Skynet, actually, I think that's the ultimate goal of the Google. :twisted:

Einsamkeit
May 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Skynet will be Windows, when it realizes we want to pull the plug.

haha Then there's nothing to worry about, after a few days there'll be so many malwares on the system that it'll crash and burn in a worldwide Blue Screen of Death.

@Phrostbyte: I hadn't thought of Google, but it indeed is an interesting candidate, it already has eyes and ears everywhere..

Damn!

sirjoebob
May 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Linux is not AI. It does not have self-preservation, independent thought, etc. It would only "become" whatever someone puts into the kernel. Fun topic of conversation but not at all an applicable set of circumstances. Unless of course, AI is somehow created and hap-harzadly patched to the whole Linux Kernel..... lol.

Einsamkeit
May 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Linux is not AI. It does not have self-preservation, independent thought, etc. It would only "become" whatever someone puts into the kernel. Fun topic of conversation but not at all an applicable set of circumstances. Unless of course, AI is somehow created and hap-harzadly patched to the whole Linux Kernel..... lol.

We never know what may happen!

It could be like in one of those bad movies where an experiment goes wrong and two things get mixed: an evil villain making an AI for his Robot Dog, power outage, the AI fuses with Ubuntu (Because of course, the villain fought the power and used Ubuntu for his daily web surfing) and there you go, on the fast lane to Skynet. :O

P1umb3r
May 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Well, my name is John Connor (not joking) so how do you think I feel about that??

billgoldberg
May 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I was watching the Terminator movies lately and wondered, could Linux be Skynet in the making? It's unstoppable, out there on the web, constantly upgrading itself and becoming better and better. We just have to wait until the USAF decides to use it to monitor nuclear weaponry then we're done, if it's not already the case. :O Mere ramblings or prophecies of the Gods?

My ISP is called Skynet and they have taken over all competition.

It has begun.

Crafty Kisses
May 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, America can do way better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gi6Ohnp9x8&fmt=22).

Hahahahah! That was insane.

Name change
May 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
One day Linux won't open the pod doors :D
And instead of kernelpanic it will sing bycicle for two.

utnubuuser
May 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Have you considered that maybe you are sky-net, and Windows is trying to pull the plug on you?

Name change
May 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
btw; Linux already has HAL.
So I think that 2001: Space Odyssey is more probably.
And HAL is hardware abstraction layer, so it would have pod doors under control :D

izizzle
May 24th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Well, I'm back from the movie, and I do have to say that it was very pleasing. Christian Bale and everyone else played an awesome role and did some tremendous acting. I liked the fact that they found a way to incorporate Arnold into the movie again, even if he did show up nude.

Dark Aspect
May 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I bet they will come from Japan. They already made Robot Dogs,

Building a robotic dog is not hard, I have done something similar minus the legs. Its the stupidest thing on the face of the planet due to my lack of C/C++ knowledge, it has a switch on the front of it so all I did is create a if else statement that had the robot go in reverse when it is pressed. Long story short the thing goes from wall to wall without a very intelligent pattern

calrogman, Thats awesome. I want one.

sky-net could be any OS really, as long the CPU was self efficient enough to monitor its own security. I would think if you created a self aware computer; it would build its on architecture seeing as how it would probably think that anything created by humans would run a risk of being hacked.

Terminator salvation was awesome by the way:popcorn:

Kareeser
May 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

===

At any rate, for Linux to become the next Skynet, it needs to be self-aware, and be able to improve itself beyond the limitations imposed by us. "Conscience" is a tough thing to reproduce in a computer, so I think we're safe for the next little while :)

Dark Aspect! Your post about your robotic doggie reminds me of TweenBots (http://tweenbots.com/). Cute :)

kc3
May 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Linux is just a kernel you know. It is advanced, and powerful, and awesome, and *starts drooling*, but it's not um "knowledgeable". Google has a much better potential to become Skynet, actually, I think that's the ultimate goal of the Google. :twisted:

Yeah I think it's somewhere in their mission statement :P haha, I'd imagine if you could somehow sneak some code in there to makg all the computers work together or intentional holes in it it'd be possible, meh :P

init1
May 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM

modprobe skynet

Name change
May 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

===

At any rate, for Linux to become the next Skynet, it needs to be self-aware, and be able to improve itself beyond the limitations imposed by us. "Conscience" is a tough thing to reproduce in a computer, so I think we're safe for the next little while :)

Dark Aspect! Your post about your robotic doggie reminds me of TweenBots (http://tweenbots.com/). Cute :)
That first sentence sounds familiar, but I can't point my finger from where :D