PDA

View Full Version : Separate media partition?

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Right now I have a double-boot with 90% bricked Vista and 10% Jaunty on a 120GB. :D When I get time this summer I plan on moving it over to a 320GB and have a triple-boot with Win7, Jaunty, and OSx86. I plan on using all three OSses more or less equally (being that all three are awesome) so I was wondering if I should create a separate partition to store all my personal files (music, pictures, videos, documents) so that all three OSses can access it. And also I need to know what disk system works best with all three.

celticbhoy
May 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Could be wrong, but is win 7 not NTFS?

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM

No you are right, but it doesn't answer my question. :o

Bölvağur
May 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
yes definitely have your data on a separate partition, I do.
I don't know how windows is nowdays but I would guess if you use the old fat32 it should be good for everyone. Only linux is good of those 3 OSes in my opinion with filesystems.. so if you'd remove the other two you could have much better filsystems :P

zobcat
May 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I think a separate external hard drive is the way to go. It works great for me between Jaunty and Win7. It's formatted to ext3. You don't have to, but I prefer to since I use ubuntu more often than not. Windows doesn't recognize it on it's own, but there's a piece of software called ext2ifs that assigns a drive letter to it. I've never had a problem with it over the past 4 years. The best thing about the external is clean installs are a breeze since I don't save anything important on my internal.

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ok thanks for the replies. I just looked it up on good ol' Wikipedia, and it happens that NTFS-3G (the driver thing that let's Ubuntu see Windows partitions) also has a Mac version! Yay that means I'll probably use NTFS since I hate the size limitations with FAT32. :)

Can't wait to get it. Having a Windows/Linux/Mac triple-boot will be epic! :D

Xbehave
May 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You'll want media on a shared drive but its probably best to keep your ~/ s separate as the performance on ntfs isn't brilliant

mamamia88
May 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
+1 for external drive for media. that way it works in all 3 operating systems for sure and if you have other computers or an xbox 360 or ps3 you can connect it up and play it on there too

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Actually I was thinking of a separate partition, not a separate drive. I have a 750GB external but it's loud and slow. And it's a laptop so I prefer having everything on the internal.

calrogman
May 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'd use NTFS, for starters, all 3 OS's support reading from it. If you install NTFS-3G on OSx86 (EDIT: NTFS-3G has only been tested on Intel and PPC based machines, you could break something), it should also support writing to it.

Use NTFS.

ghindo
May 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Probably the best filesystem for those three OSs to access would probably be NTFS. Windows natively reads it, Ubuntu comes with NTFS-3G preinstalled, and OS X can use NTFS-3G as well.

CJ Master
May 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I would personally just use dropbox. :)

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
NTFS-3G has only been tested on Intel and PPC based machines, you could break something
Good thing I have an C2D. ;)

I would personally just use dropbox. :)
I'm sure 2GB is enough for all my videos and music. :)

kc3
May 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Well, I've used Windows 7 and had it for a while BUT I think it actualy gives you the option of using NTFS and there's another filesystem also. At least it gave me the option on my non-system drive but I can't remember about the system drive.

CJ Master
May 25th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Good thing I have an C2D. ;)

I'm sure 2GB is enough for all my videos and music. :)

It would be enough for all mine, but I guess I'm prety frugal. :P If you have a spare laptop you can use it as a file server.