PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMWare Issues after Jaunty Upgrade

nivek1385
May 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
After upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty, I have had multiple issues with VMWare Player. First, I naturally had to recompile the modules for the new kernel, but there were no issues with that. The first problem occurred when trying to pull up my Windows XP Pro VM. Once the VM is fully launched, the PC's performance drops considerably. The VM window responds as if I'm using too much RAM and there's quite a bit of swapping going on, but I'm only using ~25% of my RAM with only 10 MB of swap used. Also, CPU usage hangs around 30%, so it's not a bottleneck there either.

Second, after letting the VM to run for more than a couple minutes, it will lock the PC completely, requiring me to power down the host machine manually. I have yet to be able to use the VM since the upgrade and aside from this and the extremely long upgrade process (3.5 days to download the packages with a broadband connection!?) I have found nothing out of the ordinary with Jaunty. The rest of my issues are issues that I had with Intrepid as well, but VMWare worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Any suggestions on correcting my problems with VMP?