PDA

View Full Version : How can I customize Ubuntu?

sonysamsony
May 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have found Ubuntu to be a great distribution. No other distro can match Ubuntu. I have read that every Linux distro can be customized by the users. I wish to customize Ubuntu. I dont want very complicated changes but I wish to replace the Ubuntu trademark with my own name everywhere it is in the operating system. Is there an easy way to to that? Kindly inform if there is.:D

dragos240
May 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Well.... you could do that if you wanted, just find the right conf files and bingo!

sonysamsony
May 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Well.... you could do that if you wanted, just find the right conf files and bingo!

Please inform in simple terms as I am not a technical person. How can I know which is an conf file, where to find them and what to do next. Any step by step guide, though not long would be highly appreciated.:)

Bölvağur
May 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM

find out what icon set you are using
locate that icon set
look through it for the logo
replace it

it could be here: /usr/share/icons (you'll need super user rights to change these files, sudo/gksudo)
or here: ~/.icons

*added*
there has been a thread about it before

dragos240
May 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Conf files are configuration files that tell your computer where to go and what to do. I suggest looking at an article that tell about customizing GNOME.