PDA

View Full Version : How safe is to surf behind a proxy?

El Potro
May 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hello people,

I'm getting a little bit paranoid about the fact that google and other companies with their cookies are storing more and more users' information.

I want to cut that info-flow! Do you know how to surf with some sort of software anonymously? (not through a website like http://hidemyass.com/ I don't trust neither want to depend on them).

I've seen there's a plugin for firefox called "Switch Proxy" but I haven't learnt how to use it yet.

How do you feel about "being observed" all the time? (Reminds me the novel 1984)

Thanks!

Saint Angeles
May 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
its like, THIS safe

*stretches hands out sides*

like, a 7 on the safety scale.

schauerlich
May 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Would you rather have Google potentially collecting cookie information from you, or some random server having access to every packet sent between your computer and the sites you're visiting?

binbash
May 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Your question depends on proxy type.

Rainstride
May 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hello people,

I'm getting a little bit paranoid about the fact that google and other companies with their cookies are storing more and more users' information.

I want to cut that info-flow! Do you know how to surf with some sort of software anonymously? (not through a website like http://hidemyass.com/ I don't trust neither want to depend on them).

I've seen there's a plugin for firefox called "Switch Proxy" but I haven't learnt how to use it yet.

How do you feel about "being observed" all the time? (Reminds me the novel 1984)

Thanks!

the only proxy i would be willing to trust even in the slightest is TOR. and even then im not 100%.

Johnsie
May 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
A proxy can collect your usernames and passwords or any other data that goes through it.

I wouldnt trust any proxy, but then again, the whole Internet is made up of 'proxies'.

mellowd
May 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.torproject.org/

imbjr
May 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
https://ssl.scroogle.org/

It's SSL, so your ISP can't run any phorm-like analysis on your requests and the traffic coming back.

It does not utilise the Google cookie, so Google cannot keep tabs on your search habits.

Johnsie
May 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Why do people work on these technologies that could only be useful for pedophiles, criminals and terrorists and people who are up to no good?

samjh
May 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hello people,

I'm getting a little bit paranoid about the fact that google and other companies with their cookies are storing more and more users' information.Delete them. ;)

I want to cut that info-flow! Do you know how to surf with some sort of software anonymously? (not through a website like http://hidemyass.com/ I don't trust neither want to depend on them).TOR, perhaps. But then, how do you know that there isn't a malicious end-node operator who is watching your traffic?

I've seen there's a plugin for firefox called "Switch Proxy" but I haven't learnt how to use it yet.Not very useful unless you have a trustworthy proxy.

How do you feel about "being observed" all the time? (Reminds me the novel 1984)Privacy is pretty much dead, even online. If anyone thinks using an "anonymous" search engine, or hiding their IP will protect them, they're kidding themselves. ISPs has an almost infinite resource of information about their users, which they will be obliged to divulge to the authorities upon issuance of a warrant. Your DSL line can be tapped, as can your wireless network connection. Authorities can seize your computer and forensic examinations can find out more of your "hidden" or "securely deleted" (LOL!) information than you can poke a stick at.

Some rules of thumb:
1. Don't use your credit card unless there is no other method of payment.
2. Don't shop online.
3. Don't do Internet banking.
4. Don't include any personal details by email.
5. Don't submit any personal information.
6. Don't use MySpace, Twitter, Facebook, or other "social networking" services.
7. Stay away from "anonymous" proxies. Many are run by unscrupulous individuals. I'd rather chances with businesses or the government, thanks.
8. Never accept cookies (or use only session cookies).
9. Don't use Skype or other forms of voice communication.
10. Don't run any blogs, websites, or subscribe to forums and mailing lists.

You can quickly see that following all those rules of thumb will make online usage pretty much pointless. The only thing you can do is just be selective about the sites you use and control what personal information you divulge. I've tracked down plenty of people, including "anonymous" spammers, old school mates, etc., merely by using Google. Even people who don't use the Internet much can be tracked if you know how and where to look.

Why do people work on these technologies that could only be useful for pedophiles, criminals and terrorists and people who are up to no good?

Only? That's a very narrow view of the world. Journalists, aid workers, and political dissidents use anonymous proxy networks and encrypted communication too. In fact, facilities like the TOR network is sponsored by Human Rights Watch, and used by Reporters Without Borders. They can also be used by law enforcement too, so that investigators can mask where they are accessing criminal websites from, etc.

imbjr
May 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Try telling that to people in countries that repress freedom of speech.

Moop
May 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
CustomizeGoogle is a extension for firefox that lets you block any cookies google uses to track your searching and surfing habits. It also has other cool options. It's not a replacement for tor or anything like that but it's always one of the first extensions I install for firefox.

Johnsie
May 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
No, I'm not going to advocate breaking the law. I don't think we should force our western 'free speech' values on other nations and I certainly don't want to help people break the law or risk imprisonment.

But I'm responding to someone who has a creepy picture of a little girl with a blurred out face as an avatar... Who has a link to a web site that the average user cannot access properly... So I'm wondering if this is really about free speech or something alot more sinister ;-)

imbjr
May 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Who has a link to a web site that the average user cannot access properly

Eh? Last time I checked - this morning - it was working. What's b0rked?

imbjr
May 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Oops forgot the rest ...

I don't think we should force our western 'free speech' values on other nations and I certainly don't want to help people break the law or risk imprisonment

True, I have often questioned the value of placing democracy in places where it has no history. But there are people out there who do want those values and they should be permitted to express themselves.

samjh
May 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
No, I'm not going to advocate breaking the law. I don't think we should force our western 'free speech' values on other nations and I certainly don't want to help people break the law or risk imprisonment.

"Western free speech"? I think people who are trying to speak out against false imprisonment, torture, ethnic cleaning, and other horrors deserve at least some support from those who are fortunate enough not to suffer from such abuses. There is nothing "western" about respect for human dignity and life. Human rights are universally applicable, not just in the "west".

Facilities like the TOR network is one of the few secure ways with which those oppressed people can reach out to the wider world about their issues.

As for kiddie-fiddlers, gangsters, and so on, punish them for their crimes, not innocent people who have the right to communicate freely without interference.

Pogeymanz
May 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM
+1 to TOR. I trust it. In theory, your traffic is sent to random sites, so not even a malicious TOR user could watch any significant portion of your traffic. At least as far as my poor understanding goes... It's at least still better than having your ISP watching everything you're doing and knowing exactly where to find you if they're unhappy with it.

I also always install NoScript and CookieContext addons in Firefox, so I don't run any scripts or accept any cookies unless I really want them.

And I don't participate in anything illegal (okay, some mp3's- you got me) and I really resent that someone would assume I'm some kind of sinister person just because I want companies to respect my privacy.

tdrusk
May 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have always feared using any kind of encryption. My ISP would probably assume I was doing something wrong and look further into it, thus defeating the purpose.

Pogeymanz
May 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I have always feared using any kind of encryption. My ISP would probably assume I was doing something wrong and look further into it, thus defeating the purpose.

Unfortunately, that is a legit concern.

Semi-related: In many states in the US, if you are pulled over by a Police officer and he asks to search your car without probably cause, you can refuse to consent to any searches (4th Amendment), in which case he can get a warrant in 30 minutes with the reason being that using your 4th amendment right was suspicious.

How is that for a slap in the face of the constitution?