PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Windows Emulation : Running Windows Software on Linux

maxislinux
May 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Wine offers a free solution to emulating the Windows execution environment. In most of the cases it does get the job done. But what if i decided to run NFS - Undercover, or Crysis on Linux? For those who make the switch, this is a major issue.Be it games, productivity software or just a favorite application - we have something we just cant live without! Here is a place to gather the creme de la creme of Windows Emulators. Tweaks, Scripts, Code, ideas, just about any thing is invited. The next time a MS-Windows progra fails to run on Linux, you know where to reach out :)

Greenwidth
May 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but any emulated application is never going to run as well as it does on the platform it is intended for.
If you have many 'mission critical' windows apps, then use windows.

maxislinux
May 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
But there is no point reaching out for a copy of Windows, if my linux box can emulate it enough for the thing to work appreciably well. What im looking for is for a way to mke certain popular windows applications to work on Linux as well.

krazyd
May 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Wine is it. The most constructive thing to do would be to get the latest wine and run your apps, reporting any bugs to winehq.

While Crysis (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880) appears to have some issues, NFSU (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8677) is reported to run okay.

If you can, try hacking on wine and submitting patches!

maxislinux
May 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thats an idea ! Well, i wanted to run Gtalk on Linux the other day - to be able to receive files from others using Gtalk. It turns out, that the Gtalk windows opens up ok, but you dont have anything else to click to login. So its pretty much useless . My idea is to have such problems answered out here
:)

maxislinux
May 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Does someone have any idea on making Gtalk work on linux. ?

krazyd
May 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
You should be able to configure your favourite jabber client to work with gtalk.

For example:
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Google+Talk+support

Edit:
Or here's a better link: http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=1415

Also, please try googling for solutions to your problems. 9 times out of 10, someone else has had the problem you've got and the solution can be found via google.

mcduck
May 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Wine offers a free solution to emulating the Windows execution environment. In most of the cases it does get the job done. But what if i decided to run NFS - Undercover, or Crysis on Linux? For those who make the switch, this is a major issue.Be it games, productivity software or just a favorite application - we have something we just cant live without! Here is a place to gather the creme de la creme of Windows Emulators. Tweaks, Scripts, Code, ideas, just about any thing is invited. The next time a MS-Windows progra fails to run on Linux, you know where to reach out :)

If you just can't live without some Windows programs why would you change to Linux?

The main rule is that programs only run on the OS they were made for. Everything else should be considered as nice extra, not something you can demand.

maxislinux: Pidgin is installed by default and supports GTalk/Jabber/XMPP..

xXeHPiCXx
May 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Have you tried PlayOnLinux?Its very good for windows games

TonyFordz
May 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I am trying it now "PlayOnLinux" but having fun trying to figure out how to enable 3D Acceleration as it says I need to install it or enable it & I have no clue how to on Linux lol. I have gone threw package manager looking for things to do with Ati so that I can get access to something that may allow me to enable it but no such luck yet. God I know all about the things you cant live without one was Paintbrush but I found a program that is damn close & I think even better called KolourPaint which is free & you can get it in the search in package manager, but there are so many things that I still cant get to work or use like Steam, CombatArms, World of Warcraft, and so on. I know its possible to use WoW but I need to set it up so that I can run my private server & its a royal pain in the ***.

Grrr I too wish there was a way to emulate everything so I could destroy all my Windows OSes & never use them again. Would also be nice to not only tell people about Ubuntu but be able to say "Yeah you can use that in Linux".

Sarai the Geek
May 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
There's always dual booting...
I'm not sure I really see the point of all this emulation. If you want to run microsoft software, maybe you should just use windows? Ubuntu comes with a whole host of software meant to replace and improve upon closed-source models, and if you can't find it in the repos chances are good someone's made it. How about instead of trying to get our operating system to work with their programs, we work on making our operating system better?

Jazzy_Jeff
May 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but any emulated application is never going to run as well as it does on the platform it is intended for.
If you have many 'mission critical' windows apps, then use windows.

I would have to disagree with you here. I run World of Warcraft under wine and I actually get better frames per second than on Windows. It also runs flawlessly.

mcduck
May 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I would have to disagree with you here. I run World of Warcraft under wine and I actually get better frames per second than on Windows. It also runs flawlessly.

Yes, as Wine is not an emulator it can sometimes give even better performance than running the app natively in Windows. On the other hand, some things have worse performance and some just don't work at all.