PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to mount esb flash drive

milio1401
May 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi guys i have the next question,i recently reinstalled ubuntu intrepid 64 after my jaunty installation failed,and at the same time i convinced my cousin to install ubuntu ,it's also intrepid 64,he backed up some files on a usb lexar flash drive,i guess it got corrupted i don't know,it says
Unable to mount LEXAR
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

then i get the next window ,i uploaded itso you can see it

i tried to mount itwith the next command but it didn't work

:~$ ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/LEXAR
Error opening '/dev/sdb1': Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Permission denied
Please check '/dev/sdb1' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,
and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

i mean i know it says i like take it to a windows pc and reboot it like two times,and check some stuff,but i don't have access to a windows pc,is there a workaround or something you can do for me?,i mean using ubuntu

milio1401
May 25th, 2009, 12:53 AM
come on guys don't let me down,if there is no workaround let me know,i want to konow.

triffle
July 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hey Everyone... I was having this same problem. Mine started when I created a "usb startup disk" so after alot of forum searching a googling... i finally found a fix that worked for me.... Here is the link... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick please see after installing for the fix.

I guess what happens is that while booting from a usb flash drive you trick ubuntu into thinking that it is the CD Rom. You have to go into and edit your /etc/fstab from terminal

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

you will see a line towards the bottom of the page

/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

just put a comment in front of the line like this

#/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

save and close

try and put your thumbstick back in and for me anyways tahh dahhh... Word!!!

Much Thanks to the ubuntu community...