PDA

View Full Version : ive done it ive gone to freebsd

EnGorDiaz
May 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
ive done it guys i have graduated from linux to pure unix i just thought about it only a year or two ago i didnt know what bash or tch were then i discovered this community and a distribution called ubuntu i started with little commands like sudo apt-get install flash and moved on from there i am now using virtual systems exploring the depths of where this could go i have also set up an ipcop box in my home and looking at starting my own webserver i am proud to say that this community has made me better and stronger with my computer knowledge to push ahead to point like this thank you very much guys :D

Sashin
May 24th, 2009, 07:38 AM
What's freebsd?

Giant Speck
May 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
FreeBSD isn't pure UNIX. It isn't even UNIX. It's still a UNIX-like operating system, just like Linux is.

bruno9779
May 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
freeBSD is a free operating system of tyhe BSD Family.

Just, what does it have to do with the post that follows

TheNosh
May 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
BSD is not pure unix... only unix is pure unix, though i'm glad you learned a lot here

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
OS X Leopard is pure UNIX \\:D/ *runs away*

Giant Speck
May 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
OS X Leopard is pure UNIX \\:D/ *runs away*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

Mr-Biscuit
May 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
UNIX is a set of standards.
Mac OSX is posix compliant.
The BSDs and Linux are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Compliance

Yeah but it is informative.
solaris is unix.

Anyway, FReeBSD is a step towards a more standardized system.

fatality_uk
May 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
!!!! ):P !!!!

Enjoy "pure" UNIX

chucky chuckaluck
May 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
bsd is pure unix-like.

HavocXphere
May 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
ive done it guys i have graduated from linux to pure unix i just thought about it only a year or two ago i didnt know what bash or tch were then i discovered this community and a distribution called ubuntu i started with little commands like sudo apt-get install flash and moved on from there i am now using virtual systems exploring the depths of where this could go i have also set up an ipcop box in my home and looking at starting my own webserver i am proud to say that this community has made me better and stronger with my computer knowledge to push ahead to point like this thank you very much guys :D

Whats the benefit vs Ubuntu?

Giant Speck
May 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Personal preference.

Stefanie
May 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I guess the next step is learning punctuation - aim high!

HavocXphere
May 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Personal preference.
OK.

Evil...but I laughed.:twisted:

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hahahahaha (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3555.htm)

Sublime Porte
May 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
If you really want to use a 'real' Unix derivative then OpenSolaris is probably a better choice. Although BSD dooes descend directly from the original Unix distributions, it was completely re-written at Berkely, and shares very little of the original Unix code.

FreeBSD as far as the average user is concerned is like Linux 10 years ago.. Hardly any hardware support, less software support, and not too friendly for new users used to GUI-oriented interaction with the PC.

imbjr
May 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM

*deep breath*

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html

happysmileman
May 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
UNIX is a set of standards.
Mac OSX is posix compliant.
The BSDs and Linux are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Compliance

That article just says that neither Linux nor BSD bother getting certified due to the cost, doesn't say that they aren't compliant, and it seems to strongly imply that they are (at least mostly)

Sublime Porte
May 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Don't forget even Microsoft's POSIX compatibility layer (Interix, ie. Services For Unix) has certification, so if we go by certification, then Windows is more Unix than Linux.

I tell you this much though, if I were compiling a C program written to comply with POSIX systems, then I'd much prefer to be doing it on Linux than on either OSX or "Interix", no matter how many certificates they've bought.

rpwdh
May 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Best wishes to you. It's always good to grow! 8-)

Sporkman
May 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Parse error
Buffer overflow

Sporkman
May 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM

:lol:

-grubby
May 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Parse error
Buffer overflow

I concur.

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Don't forget even Microsoft's POSIX compatibility layer (Interix, ie. Services For Unix) has certification, so if we go by certification, then Windows is more Unix than Linux.

I tell you this much though, if I were compiling a C program written to comply with POSIX systems, then I'd much prefer to be doing it on Linux than on either OSX or "Interix", no matter how many certificates they've bought.

Even though OS X is 100% Posix compliant and 100% UNIX? I guess a better question would be why you would prefer linux in this scenario. I would guess it has nothing to do with actually compiling the program. Really though it's as much a UNIX as Solaris. I just love how that really sticks in some people's craw.

sertse
May 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Apple is certified as UNIX; it is technologically UNIX as decided by the standards that define what "UNIX" actually means. This not an opinion, but a irrefutable fact. The people going "hahaha" are really just making idiots of themselves.

As for my thoughts, I link to this classic.

http://www.netbsd.org/about/call-it-a-duck.html

Pasdar
May 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
The next step is suicide?

EnGorDiaz
May 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
ok now i feel embarassed :P

irv
May 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I am just an old retired IT guy who worked with Unix and all that AIX stuff and when I retired and move to Linux it was a breath of fresh air. Pure Unix is at the lower form. To become a Unix user one needs to go back in time not forward. I also spent years in TOS and DOS but that doesn't mean it was better, it was just a means I used as a stepping stone to better things. I love my Linux and Ubuntu has been doing a great job in making it even better.
If you want to learn Unix you might find a job in a place where they have not move with the technology. But it has some good things to be learn.
Good luck in what ever you do.

Sublime Porte
May 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Even though OS X is 100% Posix compliant and 100% UNIX?

Posix compliance is a purchased certificate. If Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc. could afford them (and wanted them) they would certainly have them. They are much more like the rest of the Unices than OSX is. It is not 100% Unix, because it's entire graphical layer is a coimpletely different system, that's not adopted by, nor used by any other Unix. You could argue that Darwin is 100% Unix... perhaps.

I guess a better question would be why you would prefer linux in this scenario. I would guess it has nothing to do with actually compiling the program.

My point was that Linux behaves much more Unix-like than OSX, it's got nothing to do with preferences.

Really though it's as much a UNIX as Solaris. I just love how that really sticks in some people's craw.

Have you ever used Solaris? If you had, I very much doubt you'd be making such statements. I don't think it sticks in people's 'craw', I think people who have used various unices know that OSX would be the odd man out, not Linux.

Sublime Porte
May 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I am just an old retired IT guy who worked with Unix and all that AIX stuff and when I retired and move to Linux it was a breath of fresh air. Pure Unix is at the lower form.

Good point Irv. People have this fantasy that "real unix" is going to be so much better, because it's the real thing right? The thing that Linux tried to imitate... Newsflash for those people, Linux actually did a better job of it (in most respects, not all). That's why most "real unix" today, are using so much of the GNU software, or other software designed initially for Linux. Because the open source movement ended up making better Unix components than the originals themselves.

When people open a terminal in their "Posix certified" OSX, what shell do they find greeting them? Is it the Bourne shell from the original Unix distributions? Is it the C Shell famous from the Berkley distributions? No, it is Bash, which was written by the GNU project. Same deal for Opensolaris. Sometimes imitations turn out to be better.

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Ever hear of capitalization and punctuation, pal?

swoll1980
May 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
If I had a cookie; you sir, would be 1rst on the list of recipients.

MaxIBoy
May 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Have the sharks attacked yet?

kelvin spratt
May 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ever hear of capitalization and punctuation, pal?

Is there any need for this type of insulting reply, if you can't reply to the thread please do not bother at all.

kk0sse54
May 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
FreeBSD as far as the average user is concerned is like Linux 10 years ago.. Hardly any hardware support, less software support, and not too friendly for new users used to GUI-oriented interaction with the PC.

Have you ever used FreeBSD? Less software support?! No one is going to lie and say there's things like native flash support but if you take a look at the FreeBSD ports collection there's well over 20,000 packages available that's more than Debian repos or any other linux repo you care to measure it up against ;). On top of that both wine and a linux compadibility layer are available for *BSD. Hardware support though is generally worse, I concur although I have never had any problems with my hardware at all, it all depends on your computer same thing applies to linux. And as for GUI-oriented newcomers the same could be said about Gentoo, Arch, Slackware etc etc. FreeBSD gives you the option to install a gui during sysinstall and there are a number of FreeBSD derivatives that cater to those kinds of people, i.e. PC-BSD & DesktopBSD just like the numerous linux distro that try to accomplish the same thing. I would hardly say that *BSD is like linux from ten years ago. All of the major three, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD are fantastic up to date rapidly evolving operating systems that still offer an excellent amount of performance, security, and stability.

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Is there any need for this type of insulting reply, if you can't reply to the thread please do not bother at all.

There are minimum standard expectations I hold others to when it comes to responding to a discussion. I don't think that expecting someone to use capitalization and punctuation is unreasonable. Do you?

swoll1980
May 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I don't think that expecting someone to use capitalization and punctuation is unreasonable.

You should have used a comma after the word capitalization. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

overdrank
May 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Back on topic :)

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Posix compliance is a purchased certificate. If Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc. could afford them (and wanted them) they would certainly have them. They are much more like the rest of the Unices than OSX is. It is not 100% Unix, because it's entire graphical layer is a coimpletely different system, that's not adopted by, nor used by any other Unix. You could argue that Darwin is 100% Unix... perhaps.

Why because OSX has extra bits not used by other Unix/like systems? I don't think things like Gnome/Kde matter, Gnu made Gnome apple made Aqua. What should they have used CDE instead?

Is it package management? That's not what makes an OS a Unix either so, I guess that's not it either.

And fyi... Darwin makes up OSX along with Aqua so you can't say that Darwin is Unix but OS X is not.

My point was that Linux behaves much more Unix-like than OSX, it's got nothing to do with preferences.

No... I've used the terminal in linux and OS X and it's pretty much the same... a few differences and on that point....

Have you ever used Solaris? If you had, I very much doubt you'd be making such statements. I don't think it sticks in people's 'craw', I think people who have used various unices know that OSX would be the odd man out, not Linux.

Yes I have indeed used OpenSolaris and it behaved a bit differently then Linux and OSX. I remember the hard drives have a really weird labeling made me nervous when I went to install it. PC-BSD had a different scheme as well come to think of it.

The only thing that makes OS X "odd" is that it's not butt ugly or difficult to use.

But really... it's a fact not an opinion, OS X is a Unix in every way ):P

mamamia88
May 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
freebsd is evil. why else would they use a devil as their mascot?

expelledboy
May 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
You should have used a comma after the word capitalization. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Haha :biggrin:

cookieforyou
May 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
If I had a cookie; you sir, would be 1rst on the list of recipients.
LOL

Next step is a Gentoo install...without the manual :twisted:

0per4t0r
May 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
1. FreeBSD is neither linux nor UNIX.
2. UNIX is proprietary and old-school, anyway.

linsux
May 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
If you really want to use a 'real' Unix derivative then OpenSolaris is probably a better choice. Although BSD dooes descend directly from the original Unix distributions, it was completely re-written at Berkely, and shares very little of the original Unix code.

Right, because Linux has all kinds of closed source software for it and all that nifty OSS software can't run on FreeBSD!

Daisuke_Aramaki
May 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Misinformation to the core. Seriously, quotes like RTFM are meant specifically for people like you.

linsux
May 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Be sure to read through all of the FreeBSD documentation, it has lots of helpful bits.

A good basic tutorial for making Web Servers out of FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdmadeeasy.com/index.htm
(scroll down until you see "Web Hosting on FreeBSD")

http://www.bsdguides.org/ Is also full of useful stuff.

avahi
May 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
windows is pure unix

dragos240
May 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
windows is pure unix
xd

chris200x9
May 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
LOL

Next step is a Gentoo install...without the manual :twisted:

stage one, two, or three? :D

MaxIBoy
May 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Windows NT used to be POSIX compliant, but not really.

albinootje
May 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
freebsd is evil. why else would they use a devil as their mascot?

It's not the devil, it's a daemon. And FreeBSD has changed their logo quite some time ago after a logo contest.

And evil might be a subjective topic.
FreeBSD has a Ndiswrapper alike project (MS-Windows drivers loaded to make wifi-cards work) called "Project Evil".

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM
As long as this daemon keeps freebsd from being unjust....

albinootje
May 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM

One benefit that I've noticed through the years is that FreeBSD has better support for various RAID cards ... out of the box.

Noah_Kapiolani
May 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Despite the cries from the peanut gallery, I fully support the author for wanting to challenging himself. So what if he is not the next Walt Whitman or has an intricate knowledge of Unix and its history of benefactors. If he all the sudo apt-get stuff is child's play and he can handle the land of command line Sparta then i for one say have at it. Without people like this, i would have never found the land of ubuntu goodness. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also makes smart people explore new things and then write step-by-step help pages so people like me can follow along. Lastly, i have one question, is it true that BSD is more secure than Linux?

linsux
May 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
is it true that BSD is more secure than Linux?

OpenBSD - Yes
FreeBSD - Probably
NetBSD - Possibly

hanzomon4
May 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Despite the cries from the peanut gallery, I fully support the author for wanting to challenging himself. So what if he is not the next Walt Whitman or has an intricate knowledge of Unix and its history of benefactors. If he all the sudo apt-get stuff is child's play and he can handle the land of command line Sparta then i for one say have at it. Without people like this, i would have never found the land of ubuntu goodness. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also makes smart people explore new things and then write step-by-step help pages so people like me can follow along. Lastly, i have one question, is it true that BSD is more secure than Linux?

*Stands up*.... =D>

albinootje
May 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
is it true that BSD is more secure than Linux?

What is your definition of "more secure", and are you talking desktop and/or server ?

OpenBSD is perhaps the most secure, well-known, open source OS that exists, after a default installation.
Why ? Because OpenBSD developers are very focused on security, perform security audits, and write secure code.

And comparing FreeBSD to Linux : FreeBSD uses e.g. immutable flags on certain binaries (Linux doesn't), and you have the easy option to switch to another "securelevel".
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/security.html#SECURELEVEL

Sublime Porte
May 25th, 2009, 03:03 AM
C!oud,

i.e. PC-BSD & DesktopBSD just like the numerous linux distro that try to accomplish the same thing. I would hardly say that *BSD is like linux from ten years ago.That's right, there is BSD distros that try to cater to desktop users, but the fact is, most people would enjoy using Linux as a desktop OS more than any BSD flavour in their current states, due to the fact more (desktop oriented) software is available for Linux, and there's better hardware support. As someone mentioned, FreeBSD has great ootb support for RAID cards... Great :)

10 years might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, any Linux user who doesn't know what FreeBSD is, and is wondering about the differences, it's effectively like using Linux in the past, why would we want to jump back a few iterations, just so we could say "But I'm using 'real' unix"?

hanzomon4,

Why because OSX has extra bits not used by other Unix/like systems? I don't think things like Gnome/Kde matter, Gnu made Gnome apple made Aqua. What should they have used CDE instead?Good point. GNU made Gnome, and most Unices offer gnome as a desktop option, how many offer Aqua? Gnome is a Desktop Environment based on the Unix Standard X11 Windowing System, Aqua is not. IBM's AIX offers 3 different Desktop Environments (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/sysmgmt/desktop/index.html)... do you think any of them is Aqua? HP-UX offers 2 main desktop environments (http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801?ciid=470 887911ee0211087911ee02110275d6e10RCRD), one of them has gotta be Aqua right? Since it's a Unix desktop isn't it? And last time I checked, Sun was offering which DE (http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/) for Solaris... was it Aqua?? I think not. The fact is KDE and Gnome have become standard DE's for Unix OS's, Aqua has not, as it doesn't follow any of the Unix standards for a GUI whatsoever.

No... I've used the terminal in linux and OS X and it's pretty much the same... a few differences and on that point...If you have a Windows box, install Cygwin, and you'll find a Cygwin terminal is pretty much the same too, probably more so actually... And?

Yes I have indeed used OpenSolaris and it behaved a bit differently then Linux and OSXYou found it to be equally as different from both Linux and OSX?