PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install the driver for ATI 4850?

nemesisinfinity
May 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
well ive tried everything i can figure out from envy to cmd lines to the proprietary drivers in ubuntu installed to get my pc to run WoW...wine's installed and when i launch it i get a garbled screen with like 1fpm...I just can't figure out how to install the driver for my ati 4850. i do like using linux just cant get it to work...I always a black screen at where i should boot after i do it and If i do
libgl1-mesa-dri
and
libgl1-mesa-glf
updates in the manager i get the same thing. Ive done multiple installs and its getting frustrated so im gonna stop trying for a while and maybe come back. If anyone has gotten this card to work i'd love to know how, and also im using ubuntu 64bit if that matters ](*,)

bpayne71
May 25th, 2009, 06:40 AM
nemesisinfinity:

I am currently attempting to install this on my new Ubuntu box. I will let you know how it goes. I am using Wine to try and see if I can get it to go. If I do, I will post here how I got it done. I am using ATI X1650 card. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

nemesisinfinity
May 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
cool thanks lemme know

Mark Phelps
May 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I would be utterly astounded if this works -- because Wine is written to run Windows applications in Linux, not to use Windows drivers. Wine runs in user mode; drivers run in kernel mode. In Ubuntu (or any other Linux version), you're running a Linux kernel, not a Windows kernel. So, basically, there is simply no way this can work.