PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal no longer works after 9.04 upgrade. Child Process cannot be created error.

novice_geek
May 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Ok, to start off with, I just finally got around to upgrading from 8.04 LTS to 9.04 starting yesterday. I've ran 9.04 on two of my "servers," and I really liked the improvements, so I decided to take the plunge. Unfortunately, I forgot that I wanted to make a backup before-hand!

Anyway, yesterday night I upgrade to 8.10. I've been using that into this afternoon, running the 9.04 upgrader in the background for about 2 hours during the afternoon. While rebooting, I remembered that I needed to install something, so after I had logged back in, I clicked on my shortcut to the terminal that I have on my panel, and got this error in a small window on top of the terminal window: "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal" Once I click OK, I get an empty terminal window with no prompt that I cannot type in!

If I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (for example), I can use the command line from there, but I can't get in any other way. If I use the link to the gnome-terminal in the Applications menu, I get the same error. I have xterm installed, but I couldn't run it when I attempted to create a launcher (I don't even get an error, nothing happens). I tried connecting to SSH using the loopback address in PuTTY (which I have installed on this machine also), and after I type in my username and password, I get the error: "Server refused to allocate pty"

I've tried rebooting again, but to no avail. I did search around here a bit, and I came up with nothing.

I'm really hoping someone can help me before I begin to freak out even more lol... I'm usually good as long as I have my terminal available... lol.

Some screenshots of the error are attached if they help anyone.

Thanks in advance!

tarek.elsherbiny
February 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have exactly the same problem can someone help please