PDA

View Full Version : Linux distros for Netbook.

bhishan
May 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/reviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217400615&subSection=News

drawkcab
May 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Uhm, not so impressed with this article. If he would have spent about 30 mins surfing these forums, he could have covered a number of arguably more significant distros.

sloggerkhan
May 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Uhm, not so impressed with this article. If he would have spent about 30 mins surfing these forums, he could have covered a number of arguably more significant distros.

Which are? I haven't run across a good list of significant netbook distros myself...

If there's anything like moblin but based on debian or arch I'd love to hear about it...

snowpine
May 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Which are? I haven't run across a good list of significant netbook distros myself...

If there's anything like moblin but based on debian or arch I'd love to hear about it...

Debian and Arch both run fine on netbooks. I am personally using Debian Testing on my Mini 9. Never understood the point of a "netbook distro"...

Johnsie
May 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I've used Linpus(acer one) and Xandros (eeepc). They both sucked in terms of what packages they had in their repositories but had quite fast boot times.

Ubuntu booted very slowly on both these machines and was a bit sluggish on the Acer. However Ubuntu had alot more packages.

I give the Acer with Ubuntu to a computing novice and she really struggled with the differences between it and Windows that she is used to. In the end I recommended she get someone to install Windows on it.

drawkcab
May 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM

off the top of my head i can think of a few that are eeepc specific (because I own one) versions of ubuntu:

eeebuntu (which I use)
cruncheee
eeexubuntu (kind of out of date now)
easy peasy

Also for the eeepc:

Debian EeeOS
ExpressGate
Fedora Variants (eeedora and freeeee)
PCLinuxOS Variants (eeepclos and fluxfluxeee)
Puppy Linux variants (Breeezy and Puppeee)
Slackware Variants (Slackeee and zeee)

sloggerkhan
May 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
eee pc != netbooks in general...

celticbhoy
May 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
The problem with these kind of articles is they never consider a normal OS. I use Standard Jaunty with a couple of machine specific tweeks, and it runs fine. They always look for netbook specifics like UNR, or ultra lite like puppy.

SushiR
May 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
The problem with these kind of articles is they never consider a normal OS. I use Standard Jaunty with a couple of machine specific tweeks, and it runs fine. They always look for netbook specifics like UNR, or ultra lite like puppy.

I agree. Jaunty runs well on my 901. Just installed 2 specific packages and - woosh - there it goes. Gnome with compiz just works so nice...

michael37
May 25th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Netbook Remix and Android on Dell Mini 10v.
>>> Watch Youtube video <<< (http://www.youtube.com/v/HliEujxRoYQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1)