PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Win4Lin

kstump
May 24th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Has anyone installed this application for running programs designed to run on Windows?

It looks like a great solution to run things that keep one from just using Ubuntu. Supposedly it eliminates the need for "dual booting" and will run everything designed for Windows.

Anyone with experience?

taurus
May 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
You can install windows with virtualbox and it's free (available in the repos).

ad_267
May 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I haven't heard of Win4Lin, do you mean Wine? Wine is the usual way to run Windows applications in Linux, other than using a virtual machine.

Edit: Had a look at the Win4Lin website and the Wikipedia entry, it's the same kind of thing as VirtualBox, except you have to pay for it.

andrea000
May 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I run virtualbox here at home and it works great.I talked my employer
into trying ubuntu on one computer more if all goes well we installed
Autocad on it using wine and so far it's working great also (2 thumbs up for wine so far)

kstump
May 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you for that info. I haven't had much luck with WINE in running the software I need to run. I'll give virtual box a try.

kstump
May 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I hadn't heard of virtual box. But I'll certainly give it a try.

kstump
May 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks. I'll look for it.

celticbhoy
May 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM
If you look in the virtualization section of the forums there is ample info, and instructions on setting up your virtual machine. One of the best features is the seamless mode that allows your virtual windows to sit on top of linux transparentlly.

kstump
May 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I found the virtual box. It has a lot more documentation and explanations than I could find on the win4lin. It's amazing that the one for free is a higher quality than the one they charge you for! Thanks everyone for the tip.

celticbhoy
May 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM
You are best to use the version from the virtualbox website as it allows you to use your usb ports.

armageddon08
May 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Is it possible to play games in Windows installed in Virtualbox?