PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Misbehaving/missing windows items.

lgbowden
May 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on four PC's into a dual boot systems.

One of the systems now has a SWAP disk showing on the desktop (none of the others have) but I feel it is dangerous having the option to dismount this volume on the desktop and want to get rid of it? How do I do this and why did it appear in the first place?

However, my main gripe is that the least powerful system a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 384MB RAM and 866MHz processor installed with some strange screen gremlins thus (see attachment):

1). These boxes appear under the mouse when it moves and lots can develop quickly.

2). Dialog boxes are appearing on the screen which are empty i.e. just a white box and nothing else. Other windows like the console terminal box are also white/blank although typing a command like ls -R / produces lots of disk activity so is presumably accepting commands but not displaying them.

3). Most, if not all, dialog boxes and other windows that should have a grab bar at the top with the three sqaures for minimise, maximise and go away are also missing so it is not possible to move these boxes without right clicking on the item in the bottom task bar and selecting move or close.

I suspect that these items are related. As it is dual boot with W2K the W2K side of things are perfectly OK.