PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Ubuntu and ATI?, should i upgrade to Jaunty?

raveash
May 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi i'm currently using Ubuntu intrepid. I really want to upgrade to Jaunty but i have read stories about how it dose not work with ATI cards. I'm using a HP notebook with an ATI radeon xpress 200m graphics card and AMD Turion 64 processor, would the upgrade have a negative affect on my computer? would it be ok to upgrade? should i upgrade?. Thanks for the help :D

cariboo
May 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
If your current installation is working properly, why upgrade?

Bulova
May 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
No. Do not upgrade with a ATI Radeon card.

I did and I regret it. I lost sound. I have random freezes of the system, video and music players do not work.

I would not upgrade to Jaunty until they have a verified fix. If they don't then us Radeon card owners are stuck in 8.04 forever...

ALIENDUDE5300
May 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I had no problems with upgrading with an ATI Radeon 4850HD card installed. Everything works fine, even the proprietary drivers. However on my other computer which I also upgraded on, which has an ATI Radeon X1950 PRO card, I'm forced to use the open-source MESA drivers. Depending on what card you have, you should either upgrade or not upgrade. I think anything 2100HD or below will not work with the new proprietary drivers, but I'd double check before making a choice.

topcat5
May 24th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Generally, expect a lot of issues if you have an ATI card. I've got two laptops with ati graphics and both have had just constant issues with every Ubuntu upgrade. One of the laptops is fairly new and worked with Ubuntu for just one release, 8.10, and now is unsupported.

Ubuntu is free to the user so I have no expectations that it will work at all but the lesson to be learned here is to simply avoid any purchases of ATI gear in the future. I absolutely will not purchase another system with an AMD processor or ATI card in it. It's really a shame as I once was a believer in AMD.

For now I guess I am staying on 8.10.

binary10
May 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think there's a few threads that go on the 'have you had problems with jaunty upgrade'. Maybe you'll just have to find out what suits you.

All I can say is that I've got more things working in Jaunty than I had with Intrepid. Seahorse remembering multiple ssh keys... that sort of thing.

My old Samsung X25 laptop with its ATI Radeon Mobility X600 is working fine enough for me to use Compiz/Emerald and Cairo-dock (in non GL mode). my other desktop system with a ATI 9700 dual screen config is also working fine.

But before I did the upgrade (a few weeks before Jaunty release) I brought a spare USB drive and with a few choice rsyncs options replicated my working Intrepid build (got it to a bootable working state) then did the upgrade just to be sure.

b@sh_n3rd
May 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I had no problems with upgrading with an ATI Radeon 4850HD card installed. Everything works fine, even the proprietary drivers. However on my other computer which I also upgraded on, which has an ATI Radeon X1950 PRO card, I'm forced to use the open-source MESA drivers. Depending on what card you have, you should either upgrade or not upgrade. I think anything 2100HD or below will not work with the new proprietary drivers, but I'd double check before making a choice.

How about the ATI Radeon 3300HD?