PDA

View Full Version : Netbook

Kolmogorov
May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm very interested to buy a netbook to run Ubuntu, but i need to know two things before.

1) What's the best netbook out there?
2) Can i install, via synaptic, all the necessary tools to program?
(i.e. build-essential and the like?)

Thanks for advice!

meeples
May 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
a netbook on ubuntu works the same as any other ubuntu distro, except it has a desktop launcher :)

t0p
May 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I've got an Eee PC 710 (that's the little one with a 7 inch screen and 4GB solid state drive). It came with Xandros, but I installed Ubuntu on it - not the netbook remix, I installed the full version of Ubuntu Intrepid. It works fine with a little tweaking. You'll find all the tweak advice here (http://forum.eeeuser.com/). As for software: you'll be using the same repos as every other instance of ubuntu so you'll have no trouble getting build-essential and the like.

HuckleSmothered
May 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I've had an EeePC 1000 for a few months and really like it. For the features it as the best price.

I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on it and the only thing I really had to tweak was the wireless driver. Had to download and install the 1.7 version instead of the newer one. Works great now.

You can install everything any other Ubuntu system can install.

Nicodemus144
May 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
i just bought my first netbook and did a ton of research.

i settled on the MSi Wind u100-279US and couldn't be happier!

it has respectable battery life (4-5 hours on a 6 cell battery), matte screen, decent sized keyboard, is small and light, and best of all is very customizable. it was also available in white, and i like white. =)

i added a 2nd gig of RAM, swapped out the hard drive for a 320G Western Digital 7200RPM one, swapped out the wireless card for a Dell 1510, and swapped out the sentellic trackpad for a synaptics one.

i absolutely *love* this netbook, and Ubuntu runs like a dream on it. i started with UNR and installed off of a bootable USB, but eventually uninstalled the UNR packages and returned to normal Ubuntu.