PDA

View Full Version : Apple patents idea of silent computer

blastus
May 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Apple muffles PC noisemakers (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/10/apple_noise_patent/)

Yet another dumb patent. I wonder if they'll try to collect royalties now from Antec, Zalman and others that build low-noise components.

bfc
May 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
These are not patents. They are patent applications and they could easily be denied, changed/modified, challenged, etc.

blastus
May 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
These are not patents. They are patent applications and they could easily be denied, changed/modified, challenged, etc.

I doubt it.

dspari1
May 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Apple muffles PC noisemakers (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/10/apple_noise_patent/)

Yet another dumb patent. I wonder if they'll try to collect royalties now from Antec, Zalman and others that build low-noise components.

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories already have silent computers:
http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/graphics/EmbeddedSysLabS08.jpg

It has no moving parts (no fans or anything).

Apple is looking to get sued IMO.

bfc
May 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I doubt it.

What do you doubt? The fact that they are not patent applications?

blastus
May 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
What do you doubt? The fact that they are not patent applications?

No that they could be rejected.

JohnFH
May 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
No that they could be rejected.

and why would that be? Patent applications get rejected all the time and to get one accepted requires a lot of work and a lot of money. You don't know anything about patents do you?

blastus
May 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
and why would that be? Patent applications get rejected all the time and to get one accepted requires a lot of work and a lot of money. You don't know anything about patents do you?

So what are your credentials since you seem to know so much about patents? Do you work for the patent office or are a patent lawyer?

zekopeko
May 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
So what are your credentials since you seem to know so much about patents? Do you work for the patent office or are a patent lawyer?

my guess is that he reads. a lot more then you apparently :D

blastus
May 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
my guess is that he reads. a lot more then you apparently :D

Is there anything constructive you'd like to add to your post or is that it, that's all you have to say?

I stated my opinion. My opinion is that patent will likely be accepted because that's what the patent office does--accepts obvious, frivolous, and ridiculous patents that shouldn't be accepted.

mister_pink
May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Did anyone read the article? It was a patent on the idea of a silent computer, because, as has been stated, that would be silly. It was a system for quantifying the annoyance caused by computer noises and for dynamically minimising them. It actually sounds quite clever.

MaxIBoy
May 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Is there anything constructive you'd like to add to your post or is that it, that's all you have to say?

I stated my opinion. My opinion is that patent will likely be accepted because that's what the patent office does--accepts obvious, frivolous, and ridiculous patents that shouldn't be accepted.This particular law isn't a matter of opinion. If there's prior art, it won't be accepted (unless it's a software patent-- in that case, all bets are off.) And anyway, even if it is accepted, it's unlikely to hold up in court.

zekopeko
May 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM

I stated my opinion. My opinion is that patent will likely be accepted because that's what the patent office does--accepts obvious, frivolous, and ridiculous patents that shouldn't be accepted.

i simply stated the obvious with a sprinkle of sarcasm: you haven't read the article and have no understanding of this particular patent nor of the patent office in general nor of patents in general.
i believe the appropriate term would be "trolling" to describe your "opinion" in this case but i'm more leaning to pure ignorance and/or lack of basic comprehension skills. :D

Sef
May 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Closed. Becoming flamebait.