PDA

View Full Version : Programming Projects

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
"The best way to get a good knowledge of a language and improve your coding skills is to start on a project you are interested in."

Sometimes it's hard to think of something to program, and the programming challenges don't come often enough, so please post your ideas.

kpkeerthi
May 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
How about a download manager, a clone of flashget that runs natively on linux?

wrtpeeps
May 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Look at the api's for programs (eg beagle)

Uchiha_madara
May 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
"The best way to get a good knowledge of a language and improve your coding skills is to start on a project you are interested in."

Sometimes it's hard to think of something to program, and the programming challenges don't come often enough, so please post your ideas.

so .. i need to ask you
1- can you tell me first what is your favourite programming language you need t o start with .....

2 - what is the domain you prefer ? Desktop Applications , Web , Or Device Application?

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Python
Desktop
for me

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

That's a really good resource!

Shpongle
May 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
is there any thing you could recommend for me, iv two years of college experience so far doin c and c++ and the tinyist bit of assembly and other stuff like html,jsp,algorithms,microprocessors ect, il be doin java next year, but i wanna do something in c++, i just have no idea where to start, i havnt put any gui's on any progs yet , iv heard a bit about glade??, any recommendations on where i could start , if possible with something small , id like to do a gui on it too for practice too. and if possible make something worthwhile for the community,

thanks in advance!

Uchiha_madara
May 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Python
Desktop
for me

Hmmmmm.....

listen >>>

1 - make simple Application's using Python for example : pharmacy, Book store, DvD Collection .. etc

2- Try To know more about Python Library take this link http://docs.python.org/reference/
and try to downlaod the manual and study it ( Self Learning )

and implementing them.

3 - if you are still student try to impelent Python and CGI Concepts on your Study.

4 - try to Launch The Compitions.

in this way you become profissional :))

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
is there any thing you could recommend for me, iv two years of college experience so far doin c and c++ and the tinyist bit of assembly and other stuff like html,jsp,algorithms,microprocessors ect, il be doin java next year, but i wanna do something in c++, i just have no idea where to start, i havnt put any gui's on any progs yet , iv heard a bit about glade??, any recommendations on where i could start , if possible with something small , id like to do a gui on it too for practice too. and if possible make something worthwhile for the community,

thanks in advance!
Why not start with a password generator, the user would specify the length

EXTRA STUFF

GUI
Special characters (eg %$*&^), let the user say if they want them include in the passwrd
Numbers, let the user say if they want them include in the passwrd
Strength rating
Let the user specify a word to include in the passwrd

jimi_hendrix
May 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

or, save your self some time and make a GUI frontend for wget (but the back end is the fun part)

i would recommend gtk+ for this </gnome-bias>

matmatmat
May 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
How would you do that?

jimi_hendrix
May 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
google how to download a file in python

welshboy
May 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
One of the ways I learn to code is to read a book, and work on the excercises, when I've read around 6 chapters or so, I'll try and implement something small that will incorporate the majority of what I've learned. It's never going to be stuff that anybody in their right minds will want to use, but it makes sure that I understand stuff like data structures, algorithms that sort of thing.

In terms of programming projects, I wouldn't start off with something too big. I've done that before, started with something really ambitious only to lose interest when the you hit an impasse and Google doesn't seem to help (it does happen...)

It's taken me three years to learn to start with small projects, like for example, I'm learning C++ at the moment, and a mate of mine's asked me to write a CD Cataloger for him, which is great, but he's purpousfully made it as difficult as possible. So what I've done is broken it down to mini projects, e.g - handling user input, displaying menus, allowing the user to select from the menu. At the moment they're all disjointed, but I'm getting the hang of the language.

May I encourage a similar approach. Start small, and work your way up.

My apologies if this post has gone on a bit too long.

Welshboy

wrtpeeps
May 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
google how to download a file in python

He'd need to learn how to "split" the file into the seperate parts like flashget.

Ie, download the file from 7 different locations within the file.

hairulazami
May 25th, 2009, 06:48 AM

I agree !
how about Web Base Video Streaming under Ubuntu Server ? ;)

lisati
May 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Just a thought if you're after a project to work on: One of the projects I've contemplated for myself over recent months but haven't actually done any serious work on is a program to analyse the OFX files I can download from my bank, and use the information to print off the kind of information that loan sharks like to know about when you're filling in their forms. What would be interesting from a programming perspective, particularly if you're used to reading files in "line by line", is that some of the OFX files I've seen use a combination of CRLF, LF, and "nothing" to separate the data elements. (One solution would be to load the complete OFX file in, and make the processing data-tag-oriented instead of line oriented)

Bodsda
May 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I've had this problem before, an I couldn't decide what to do.

So, instead of starting a new project, I decided to rewrite an existing one, youtube-dl is a small python script in the repositories to download videos from youtube. Very nice little script to try and rewrite.

Or perhaps work on a small command line utility to ease workload. An easy way to think of something like this is to just use your computer normally until you come across something that you think takes to long to do and then try to automate it.

I have started something similar to this, I decided that bash alias's and history recalls took to long to do or are to complicated so I started a little project called cheatsheet to speed up the process of alias'ing commands and recalls. See the link in my sig

Hope this helps,

Bodsda

matmatmat
May 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies

matmatmat
June 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
One of the ways I learn to code is to read a book, and work on the excercises, when I've read around 6 chapters or so, I'll try and implement something small that will incorporate the majority of what I've learned. It's never going to be stuff that anybody in their right minds will want to use, but it makes sure that I understand stuff like data structures, algorithms that sort of thing.

In terms of programming projects, I wouldn't start off with something too big. I've done that before, started with something really ambitious only to lose interest when the you hit an impasse and Google doesn't seem to help (it does happen...)

It's taken me three years to learn to start with small projects, like for example, I'm learning C++ at the moment, and a mate of mine's asked me to write a CD Cataloger for him, which is great, but he's purpousfully made it as difficult as possible. So what I've done is broken it down to mini projects, e.g - handling user input, displaying menus, allowing the user to select from the menu. At the moment they're all disjointed, but I'm getting the hang of the language.

May I encourage a similar approach. Start small, and work your way up.

My apologies if this post has gone on a bit too long.

Welshboy

I think this is the best way to go about things but what to do?