PDA

View Full Version : Why do we bother?

Virogenesis
January 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I've seen this many times on this forum and basicaly people use work arounds for skype when its unneeded.
We already hve something available to us it already has alsa and webcam support not only does it have that but it also is opensource unlike gizmo and best of all a gtk front end is in the making.
I haven't yet tested out wengophone i've installed it but basicaly this is surely something better than skype and debian packages what more could you want.
The linux support for skype is outdated and I don't think it will ever be as good as the windows counter part it doesn't seem to be in ebay's interest to keep it up to date.

aysiu
January 13th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I've seen this many times on this forum and basicaly people use work arounds for skype when its unneeded. What workarounds are you talking about?

I haven't yet tested out wengophone i've installed it but basicaly this is surely something better than skype and debian packages what more could you want. There's a .deb for Skype as well, isn't there?

The linux support for skype is outdated and I don't think it will ever be as good as the windows counter part it doesn't seem to be in ebay's interest to keep it up to date. Can you mention specifics as to how it's not as good as the Windows counterpart? I don't know because my wife and tried Skype only on Ubuntu and Mac OS X...

mishranurag
January 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Well, Skype on linux is a crappy piece of software. If you are using skype, you cannot use any music software when you are using skype or other way around. Also, to make calls from skype, you generally have to login and logout after each call else the call fails. There is hack available somewhere in this forum to work around the problem of logging in and logging out. it kind of worked for me, but still I cannot use it if any other software is using sound card or pipeline or whatever and vice versa. So if I am listening music, there is no ring in skype :???:.

Skype in windows works extremely smoothly. Has lots of emoticons, webcam support or rather it is a videophone facility.
So yes, Skype, and yahoo on linux are extremely poor version of their counterparts on Windows.

Anurag

What workarounds are you talking about?

There's a .deb for Skype as well, isn't there?

Can you mention specifics as to how it's not as good as the Windows counterpart? I don't know because my wife and tried Skype only on Ubuntu and Mac OS X...

awakatanka
January 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I tryed wengphone but somehow i can't get it to work properly.
In linux i have troubles to hear the person on the otherside, test is working but if i call landline it doesn't work. On windows it's the same. I opened all ports in my router but still got problems, and if you read there forums lots of persons have same problem.

1 time i had it working correctly and tryed to call a forgein friend with it, didn't work, local landline that time worked.

The program is a pieces of sweet software if it worked correct, has everything i want but atm its a piece of error and trail.

With skype i have totaly no problem at all. But because wengphone has lower costs when calling a landline i truely want it to work.

Next try will be a pc direct on the internet without firewall/router.

mishranurag
January 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I was planning to try it as it appeared cheaper than skype.

Figured out that the price of open wengo was in euro, so it is not so cheap than Skype
Anurag

I tryed wengphone but somehow i can't get it to work properly.
In linux i have troubles to hear the person on the otherside, test is working but if i call landline it doesn't work. On windows it's the same. I opened all ports in my router but still got problems, and if you read there forums lots of persons have same problem.

1 time i had it working correctly and tryed to call a forgein friend with it, didn't work, local landline that time worked.

The program is a pieces of sweet software if it worked correct, has everything i want but atm its a piece of error and trail.

With skype i have totaly no problem at all. But because wengphone has lower costs when calling a landline i truely want it to work.

Next try will be a pc direct on the internet without firewall/router.

awakatanka
January 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I was planning to try it as it appeared cheaper than skype.

Figured out that the price of open wengo was in euro, so it is not so cheap than Skype
Anurag
good thing you say that, didn't look at all if it was euro our dollars,hehe i'm feeling so blond ;). Will compare it asap.

thxs

nismoskys
May 16th, 2006, 06:13 AM
well as of now there's unlimited skype-out calls to the us and canada so i think thats a good reason to bother. :D

nalmeth
May 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM
my beef with skype linux was that there was no video-conferencing, compared to windows counterpart.

arggg

mips
May 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Skype on Linux (& Mac to a degree sux). I'm preaching the gospel off Wengo and other services like voipbuster etc. Someone asks if I use skype i say no it is crap (even though i have it installed) and not compatible with other systems.

Then I point them to wengo and sip related services.

imagine
May 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Compared to Skype, Windows looks like a transparency heaven. Ebay basically implemented everything you can think of to obfuscate what the program does.
If anybody missed the speech at the Black Hat Conference: http://www.secdev.org/conf/skype_BHEU06.pdf

However they dropped support for everything except Windows XP and Windows 2003 anyway.

rcmn
May 19th, 2006, 04:22 AM
well as of now there's unlimited skype-out calls to the us and canada so i think thats a good reason to bother. :D

WOW unlimited in canada and US then we could say they are unlimited on the entire WORLD !!! couldn't we ?!

Unlimited 20 country i know this not the "world" but it the WORLD + 18 other country.
http://openwengo.com/index.php/homepage

IYY
May 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM
It doesn't matter which is better. You need the software that your Windows-using boss/girlfriend/grandma uses, and that's almost always Skype.