PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Ball of Death or The Blue Screen of Death?

HappinessNow
May 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Spinning Ball of Death or The Blue Screen of Death?...if you had to choose only between these two which would you choose?

Zzl1xndd
May 23rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
At least the Ball is a Unix.

Tibuda
May 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
What about the kernel panic of death?

TBOL3
May 23rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
or the xorg crashed screen of death, and won't allow you to drop into a terminal.

Or how about the grub error of death.

Or how about linux?

Anyway, I don't know which I prefer, at least with the spinning ball, I can see the screen, if I had anything I needed to copy.

MikeTheC
May 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
This is still my personal favorite:

http://haftbar.de/wp-content/guru-meditation_error.gif

CJ Master
May 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
BSoD. At least it gives you information. They just need to make it look like it didn't come from the early 80's...

ghindo
May 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
bsod. At least it gives you information. They just need to make it look like it didn't come from the early 80's...+1

Corelogik
May 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Ive never had a spinning beach ball of death, anytime the ball spun for an interminable amount of time I was always able to kill the process and move on with my life. The spinning beach ball does not kill the machine in the same way a kernal panic or a BSoD does.

HappinessNow
May 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
What about the kernel panic of death?That would require a completely new thread and a new poll...feel free to start one up.

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I think the OS X kernel panic screen is analogous to the blue screen of death. X crash of death, grub error of death, and the I just decided I don't like you so I"m going to freeze randomly forcing you to cold reboot and lose data because I'm Ubuntu and I can do that while still being better then every other OS in every way except photoshop which sucks next to the gimp bat out of hell wtf? you're far from perfect why does my docky constantly crash I could keep this going for a page crash of death... I don't think the other OSes have comparable hells, although I'm sure some drama queen is going correct my thinking

spoons
May 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
How are you supposed to read the error message if it's on a spinning ball?

The idea of a BSoD is that you never see it, and when you do it gives you information to help you never see it again.

The Toxic Mite
May 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
The Blue Screen of Death is my favourite! :P:P

Has anyone had a kernel panic on Ubuntu before?

days_of_ruin
May 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thread should be renamed to "SBoD or BSoD?" to cause confusion:cool:

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
The Blue Screen of Death is my favourite! :P:P

Yeah... the system freezes

If it happens on boot up It says kernel panic... and freezes

Tibuda
May 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I only had a X server crash once. It was probably my fault. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and I got GDM again.

roachk71
May 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
My tooth-grinding (non-) favorite:

The Atari ST "Row of Bombs." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_of_bombs)

On the ST, these were displayed all-too-frequently, and most of the time, only a reset or power-cycle would clear them.

Another kind of crash I faced when I owned STs was the Spectre GCR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_GCR) Crash Page.

I'd much rather see the Mac's Spinning Ball of Death...

soliddiesel
May 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
i have had seen more blue screen than any one around me, i have crashed windows at situations even i cant think of, and as for inconsistency of these blue screens, after 10 blue screens it told me i should check my memory modules!! :S which it should have pointed out at first.

0per4t0r
May 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I've seen only one bluescreen, and that was when I was ending windows explorer because it wasn't responding.

The Toxic Mite
May 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Orange Screen of Death, anybody? ;)

I created it in GIMP btw its an invention of my own :D

Xbehave
May 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
NUMLOCK of doom

Cowchip7
May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I think I had a kernel panic with my iBook G4. I believe suspended the computer as it was trying to optimize the disc drive during a shut-down or something...

Long story short, when I tried to boot the computer, I got some kind of weird MAC cube... nothing would happen! I had to reinstall!

#-o

jfloydb
May 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I thought it was a spinning doughnut...

HappinessNow
May 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I thought it was a spinning doughnut...There's No Hole!