PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 on my Imac for kicks

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
I loaded Windows 7 RC on my 24" Imac using Bootcamp. WOW
99% of the hardware detected and set up when install complete. The rest was a simple update and all hardware working.

Only one little exception the number keys on the Keyboard are not functioning . I have not really tried to resolve that yet .

With a few browser windows open , email client and other bits and bobs (including Avast)its only using 600mb of mem and CPU ranging between 0% to 9%

I have to say Win 7 is looking very good. MS are doing a very good job this time , I think the competitors need to take notice of Win 7.

I also have Win 7 running on a Laptop and another Desktop all without issue. And given that this RTM build yet this is impressive.

Zzl1xndd
May 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
I've played with Windows 7 myself, It is much better from what I have seen of it. That being said I don't think we have too much to worry about I don't think MS can ever improve at the same rate that we do.

zurack
May 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Good stuff. I have a new Imac 24" but it has Xfce running and the combo is simply amazing, also have a 15" kde4 laptop

Pasdar
May 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
What did you expect? Apple uses Intel chipset and either Intel GMA or GeForce GFX card... the drivers for these have always been part of Windows installation.

Oh btw, move your topic to reaccuring discussions. ):P

Tipped OuT
May 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
What did you expect? Apple uses Intel chipset and either Intel GMA or GeForce GFX card... the drivers for these have always been part of Windows installation.

Lol. Admin got owned. XD

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM

Nope ATI HD card in mine
Also there is more than a chipset and GFX card in a PC

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM

Remember that little word ........." Please"

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Lol. Admin got owned. XD

Um no one has purchased me :p

pwnst*r
May 23rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
99% of the hardware detected and set up when install complete. The rest was a simple update and all hardware working.

Only one little exception the number keys on the Keyboard are not functioning . I have not really tried to resolve that yet .

With a few browser windows open , email client and other bits and bobs (including Avast)its only using 600mb of mem and CPU ranging between 0% to 9%

I have to say Win 7 is looking very good. MS are doing a very good job this time , I think the competitors need to take notice of Win 7.

I also have Win 7 running on a Laptop and another Desktop all without issue. And given that this RTM build yet this is impressive.

lol, on an iMac, nice one

pwnst*r
May 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM

why to reoccurring? the bashing threads don't get moved, so why this one?

kthxbai.

Giant Speck
May 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Why doesn't it surprise me that Windows 7 (or any version of Windows for that matter) would run well on a Mac?

Anyway, it's cool that you are enjoying your experience. Is Windows the only other operating system on your Mac besides OS X? Is OS X even still on the computer?

mamamia88
May 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
i'm actually thinking of switching back to windows on my laptop when it releases it runs so much cooler on my laptop wearing on the hardware less. running it now and loving it

MikeTheC
May 23rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Um no one has purchased me :p

MikeTheC: Alright, ladies and gentlemen, we have a wonderful UbuntuForums admin here, all the way from right next to down-under. Let's start the bidding at one-thousand New Zealand dollars. Do I hear $1100? Do I hear $1100?

pwnst*r: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: $1100 going for $1200, do I hear $1300?

Pasdar: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: $1300, am I bid $1500? $1500 for this fine admin?

zurak: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: $1500, do I hear $2000?

tweakedenigma: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: $2000... $2000, do I hear $2500?

NAME: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: Twenty-five, twenty-five, twenty-five hundred, do I see $3000?

MikeTheC: Three, gimmie three, gimmie three, $4000?

zurak: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: Four, four, $4000; am I bid $5000?

Steve Ballmer: [Raises hand]

KiwiNZ: [Notices Steve Ballmer, thinks "Where did he come from?", starts to fidgit]

MikeTheC: Five thousand from the man from Redmond. Five, gimmie five, five, am I bid $7500?

Pasdar: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: Seventy-five, seventy-five, do I hear $10,000?

Tipped OuT: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: Ten-gimmie-ten-do I see twelve?

Steve Jobs: [Raises hand]

MikeTheC: Twelve-thousand oh-my-Lord do I hear fifteen?

MikeTheC: Fifteen, gimmie fifteen, do I see twenty?

Bill Gates: [Raises hand]

KiwiNZ: [Now starting to look really nervous.]

MikeTheC: Twenty, do I see twenty-five?

MikeTheC: Twenty-five, man alive, am I bid thirty?

MikeTheC: Thirty, now thirty-five, thirty-five...

MikeTheC: Forty? Do I hear forty?

[Nobody else raises their hands]
MikeTheC: Forty? No? Alright, going once... going twice... SOLD! to Tipped OuT for $35,000.

pwnst*r
May 23rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
**crickets**

MikeTheC
May 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
**crickets**

Oh, quit complaining just 'cause you got out-bid.

Think about it this way: At least KiwiNZ can't say he isn't owned any more! :)

pol666
May 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Windows 7 crash twice in an use, but it's better than vista...

Pasdar
May 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Nope ATI HD card in mine
Also there is more than a chipset and GFX card in a PC
Weird, I've never seen a mac come with an ATI card. I've even checked this yesterday and there were only three cards used in the latest 15 mac laptops, three of which were nvidia and one intel.

Either way, windows came with older version ATI and nvidia drivers since windows 2000. You can then update it to the latest via windows update.

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Weird, I've never seen a mac come with an ATI card. I've even checked this yesterday and there were only three cards used in the latest 15 mac laptops, three of which were nvidia and one intel.

Either way, windows came with older version ATI and nvidia drivers since windows 2000. You can then update it to the latest via windows update.

Not the Geforce XXXXm series, it was always hell to hunt them down when you had thrown your drivers cd away, it now installs perfectly.

Same goes with wifi driver (easier to find online though).

3rdalbum
May 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
99% of the hardware detected and set up when install complete.

I know you're an Ubuntu Forum admin, but I still don't believe you.

People said the same thing about Vista; "It comes with a gigabyte of drivers!" etc. I installed it onto a new computer I built for a friend; literally NO DRIVERS were installed. Ethernet, wireless, graphics, sound; Windows did not self-install a single driver.

All the hardware I used was current, but did not predate Vista nor get released after Service Pack 1. Curiously enough, although I didn't research hardware compatibility before buying, the Ubuntu 8.10 live CD worked out-of-the-box with everything; even the wireless.

So, basically, Windows doesn't come with any drivers and I don't believe anyone who claims that it does.

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I know you're an Ubuntu Forum admin, but I still don't believe you.

People said the same thing about Vista; "It comes with a gigabyte of drivers!" etc. I installed it onto a new computer I built for a friend; literally NO DRIVERS were installed. Ethernet, wireless, graphics, sound; Windows did not self-install a single driver.

All the hardware I used was current, but did not predate Vista nor get released after Service Pack 1. Curiously enough, although I didn't research hardware compatibility before buying, the Ubuntu 8.10 live CD worked out-of-the-box with everything; even the wireless.

So, basically, Windows doesn't come with any drivers and I don't believe anyone who claims that it does.

My wifi and displaydrivers worked after install and update, only special Apple hardware like the isight, trackpad and special keyboard didn't work.

Pasdar
May 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
The hardware used by Apple is limited (a very short list), so it's not difficult to make it fully apple laptop/pc friendly.

Though it did work okay on my asus laptop. I formatted the drive soon after it lost many photo's of mine and I found a few bugs I didn't like. It generally has a faster 'feel' than VISTA.

geoken
May 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Just google imac with ati.

Pasdar
May 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Just google imac with ati.

I meant laptops. However, now I know they do use them for their PCs.

geoken
May 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I meant laptops. However, now I know they do use them for their PCs.

Why? The title itself notes that he was installing it on a desktop not a laptop.

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
The hardware used by Apple is limited (a very short list), so it's not difficult to make it fully apple laptop/pc friendly.

Though it did work okay on my asus laptop. I formatted the drive soon after it lost many photo's of mine and I found a few bugs I didn't like. It generally has a faster 'feel' than VISTA.

It is a little tricky to install keyboard, backlit keyboard etc. on a unibody Macbook. You have to edit the .msi, otherwise the combined installer program will spit out errors. But afterwards it works great.

HavocXphere
May 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Still have nightmares about Vista.:icon_frown:

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Still have nightmares about Vista.:icon_frown:
Here you go: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
It isn't bad as far as features go. But I do have a few issues.

1. Looks too much like KDE4. People were once even fooled. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm)

2. No dreamscene. Ultimate extras were the reason to use vista Ultimate. But now 7 Ultimate is equivalent to vista buisness

3. False speed impression. Many have got a false impression of the speed. Comparing to a machine running vista and 7. 7 fools you with its new startup. It does logon faster but unlike vista there is still activity and is not instantly responsive. I agree with this (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10370369-56.html)

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
People were once even fooled. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm)

Funny yet, I wonder what those people were told it was KDE! :KS

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If we can't get this thread shut down for being a reoccurring discussion, we'll get it shut down for necroposting, by golly!

:guitar:

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM
If we can't get this thread shut down for being a reoccurring discussion, we'll get it shut down for necroposting, by golly!

:guitar:

Why? Windows 7 is still fresh on the market. I don't think so. But perhaps its fit for recurring discussions.

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
because its mine ....closed