PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PHP script cannot run .sh script...

Browner87
May 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have a small personal web server running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and my problem is that when I try to access a PHP page I want it to do two things:

1) Take a screenshot of the desktop on the SERVER
2) Redirect to that picture

This should be simple PHP code since the picture will always be the same file. What I have so far (for those who know PHP) is:

<?php
shell_exec('/media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.sh');
sleep(3);
header('Location: http://browner87.servebeer.com/mine/screenshot.png');

?>

The script screenshot.sh is also 2 lines (3 with the middle one added for debugging)

import -window root /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.png
echo This should have ****ing worked!!
exit

The code in the script appears to run since I can capture the output. If, in the PHP, I echo the output of the shell_exec, it writes 'This should have ****ing worked!!' on the screen. However, nothing happens. No screenshot is taken and screenshot.png is not modified. If I run the first line of the script in a terminal (or run the script file for that matter), it works fine. The computer beeps, takes a sceenshot, beeps, then is done. The screenshot.png file is not updated.

I have tried almost every combination of chmod and chown from 111 to 777 and root to browner87 to www-data and NOTHING makes the script run right.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Please?

mk__
May 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Either do this from a terminal:

sudo chmod +x /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.sh
or change the code to this:

<?php
shell_exec('sh /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.sh');
sleep(3);

?>

Browner87
May 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I did both and no change. Good suggestions tho - I never tried putting 'sh' before my command.

Any other ideas?

Browner87
May 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I think an important detail is that this script has the same behavior as a Cron job. There is output, but no screenshot is taken.

s.fox
May 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi,

Which version of php are you using? The reason i ask is that shell_exec() is disabled when php safe mode is enabled. Of course php safe mode was removed in PHP 6.0.0, so it may not be what is making your script fail.

Just a thought.

-Ash R

Browner87
May 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I believe PHP5, but note the same behavior when set as a Cron job to be run.

The problem I seem to be having more specifically is that my .sh script can ONLY be run through a terminal. Can anyone explain this?

I've heard of two possibilities really (since I do know the script is running - if I add a line in the script saying echo hello >> /tmp.txt, it adds hello to that file):

1) User permissions: the user Cron is running as doesn't have rights to run the Import command (or scrot - I've tried it too)
2) No Output: I read something about Cron not being able to handle many outputs of some programs or something. Also, perhaps these programs need more environment variables defined?

zomtec
May 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
As far as i know, neither cron or apache has access to the X server by default. you cannot do <?php exec('firefox &');?> for example.
Of course there are workarounds ... maybe take a look at the apache docs.

Browner87
May 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know by chance how to work around this? I'm still stumped and can't find ANYTHING with a conclusive answer on how to do this.

Browner87
May 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Yay! Breakthorugh (kind of)

http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-users/2005-November/016725.html

This sounds like the exact answer to what I need, but I can't quite make sense of what I have to do. I'm sure I can figure out how to get the DISPLAY environment variable set to (though I don't know what I'd set it to), but the rest just made a nice whooshing sound as it went over my head. Any help with it?

EDIT: Just added the second link and nothing seems to have worked yet. Here is my code:

shell_exec('DISPLAY=:0');
shell_exec('export DISPLAY');
shell_exec('HOME=/home/browner87'); //# or whatever it is
shell_exec('export HOME');

exec('import -display :0.0 -window root /media/disk/path/screenshot.png');

Any more ideas on this?

EDIT2:

In Cron I now have added DISPLAY=:0 and HOME=/home/browner87 and now it works. The problem now is that it won't work in PHP. I also tried one-lining it with semi-colons, but still no luck. I have the following in a .sh script:

#!/bin/bash
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DISPLAY=:0
HOME=/home/browner87
/usr/bin/import -silent -display :0.0 -window root /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.png

it works if in (sudo crontab -e) I put the path to the script, but if in PHP I say shell_exec('path to the script');, it does nothing.

orange-wedge
May 28th, 2009, 04:29 AM
First of all it always helps to debug the output of cron scripts or daemon scripts by redirecting the output to a file. You also could try using the exec function in php.:

<?php
exec('sh /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.sh > /tmp/screenshot.log');
sleep(3);

?> Most likely your display is going to need be set with the following shell command:

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0But you you will need to translate that to php with the function putenv:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.putenv.php

Browner87
May 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
<?php

putenv('DISPLAY=localhost:0.0"');
shell_exec('/media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.sh > /media/disk/apache2dir/mine/screenshot.log');
sleep(3);
exit;
?>

no screenshot is taken and screenshot.log is empty. :(

Good advice though. Any more bits of good information?

orange-wedge
May 28th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I'm noticing an extra double quote at the end of your putenv function.

Try this:

putenv('DISPLAY=localhost:0.0')

Browner87
May 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Whoops, my bad. Thanks. I'll try that.

Unfortunately I won't know if it worked until I get home because I got the screenshots working with Cron on 1 minute intervals, but I forgot ubuntu blacks the screen after a while, so I can't tell if it worked or not yet :P

EDIT: Nope, no working yet, but I'm not going to stress over it - I can now make Cron run it every minute, so that's good enough for now. Unless anyone can suggest an answer to this of course ^_^