PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Replace Thunar with Nautilus

geokker
May 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, you read right. I need the functionality offered by nautilus so I've installed it and use it happily in Xubuntu Jaunty (XFCE4). However, when I boot the PC, Thunar (I think) controls the desktop. I want Nautilus to control the desktop e.g. draw the icons etc. IS there any way I can completely replace Thunar with Nautilus - or would it no longer be XFCE? The Gnome desktop is still too 'heavy' and the compositing isn't as efficient.

Cheers.

kerry_s
May 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
in xfce4 the desktop is done by xfdesktop, not thunar, thunar does not do desktop icons.

what i would try to do is put> killall xfdesktop <in the startup with nautilus starting after it.

geokker
May 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
It works, but then the process 'auto spawns' in a Quake-like manner. I'd have to put 3 or 4 killall entries in which is a bit hacky and lengthens the login process.

kerry_s
May 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
It works, but then the process 'auto spawns' in a Quake-like manner. I'd have to put 3 or 4 killall entries in which is a bit hacky and lengthens the login process.

i didn't think it would be that easy. i do have a plan b, but it may screw you later if those programs get up dated, just letting you know.

so plan b, would be to replace xfdesktop with a link to nautilus.

in a terminal:

sudo mv /usr/bin/xfdesktop /usr/bin/xfdesktop-off
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/bin/xfdesktop

that's it, just remove your startup stuff, logout and back in and hopefully it will be using nautilus.

geokker
May 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Excellent, works a treat - cheers.

:)

waldir1
April 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
works fine but what about desktop and places plugin? have i missed some simple solution, or have i to choose between nautilus without these details, gnome + nautilus or thunar + xfce
/edit I mean that now there is only brown background instead of wallpaper and plugin which shows menu "places" is working only with thunar (on uninstall of thunar it is also uninstalled and while thunar is installed it launches thunar... and i haven't found simillar applet for nautilus, although in gnome it's somehow integrated)

flar
August 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Instead of changing symlinks, you could uninstall xfdesktop and add nautilus to your session start up list. It's been working well for me so far and won't get overwritten during updates.

tivatranquio
May 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Instead of changing symlinks, you could uninstall xfdesktop and add nautilus to your session start up list. It's been working well for me so far and won't get overwritten during updates.

Does this solution works with xfce 4.10 ?

lisati
May 21st, 2012, 03:08 AM
Old thread being put back to sleep. :(