PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The latest Ubuntu

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
I am running Ubuntu Desktop version. It is 8.04 and works fine.

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
Please advice me.

If there is a version to upgrade, please tell me the easiest way to install it.

Thanks for any help.

aninona
May 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
I am running Ubuntu Desktop version. It is 8.04 and works fine.

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
Please advice me.

If there is a version to upgrade, please tell me the easiest way to install it.

Thanks for any help.

You should search the forums and/or google before posting.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135537
http://www.google.co.il/search?&q=upgrade+ubuntu+8.04+to+9.04

):P

jerrrys
May 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
im an LTS'er so im bias, but if lts works, leave it alone...

growled
May 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
im an LTS'er so im bias, but if lts works, leave it alone...

I agree. Don't upgrade just to upgrade. However, if you need/want the latest software, then upgrade.

jerrrys
May 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I agree. Don't upgrade just to upgrade. However, if you need/want the latest software, then upgrade.

good point...

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks everybody for the valuable comments.

The reason I posted the question is to get some information from the people who upgraded to a latest version.

Sometimes people say the latest version is more stable than the old version.

I'll give you a good example.

I have upgraded My Mandriva Linux to the latest Mandriva 2009 Spring version. I did this almost 2 weeks ago.
It is more stable than the previous version. The previous version hanged very often and it drove me crazy. Probably they fixed a few bugs in the latest version.

Again, I posted the question to learn from our friends who have upgraded or installed a latest version.

Wiebelhaus
May 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Network upgrade is by far the easiest.

Start System>Administration>Update Manager

Click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete. A message will appear informing you of the new release.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=um2.jpg

Click Upgrade and just follow the instructions

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=um3.jpg

It's going to take awhile so sit back and relax! Cheers.

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks Wiebelhaus for the reply.

Have you done this upgrade?

If so, are you pleased with the latest version?

snowpine
May 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'll give you a good example.

I have upgraded My Mandriva Linux to the latest Mandriva 2009 Spring version. I did this almost 2 weeks ago.
It is more stable than the previous version. The previous version hanged very often and it drove me crazy. Probably they fixed a few bugs in the latest version.

Mandriva is not Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 8.04 is the Long Term Support release and will be supported through April 2011. This support includes bug fixes and security patches.
Other Ubuntu releases are only supported 18 months.
I have no idea whether or not Mandriva follows this release cycle, but it is probably not a good comparison.

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Yes, Snowpine it is correct to say Ubuntu is not Mandriva.

I used Mandriva in the past. So I like it. I run it too from time to time.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................

Wiebelhaus

I took the risk of upgrading just now.
I just followed your instructions.
I mean the following:

Start System>Administration>Update Manager

It worked fine. It was very quick.
How do I find out whether I have the latest version of Ubuntu?

None of the following commands don't give me a clue to as to the version number.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................
ni@ni-desktop:~$ uname --version

uname (GNU coreutils) 6.10

Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.

There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by David MacKenzie.

ni@ni-desktop:~$

.................................................. .................................................. .................

ni@ni-desktop:~$ uname -o

GNU/Linux

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

ni@ni-desktop:~$ uname -m

i686

.................................................. .................................................. .....................

ni@n-desktop:~$ uname -a

Linux ni-desktop 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

trench.me
May 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
cat /etc/lsb-release

Or

Start x and in the Main Menu go System > About Ubuntu.

:)

On the upgrade to Jaunty discussion, I've had polar opposite experiences on two different machines. One upgrade went smoother than any OS upgrade I've *ever* experienced. We're talking since '93, yo. But. On the other machine, the upgrade was complete fail. I've lost all my tty sessions and x refuses to resurrect itself. I spent 8 hours doing CPR on her last night to no avail.

trench.me
May 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
lsb_release -a

... also works, if you don't want to use cat.

And here's a thread listing several other ways to version check Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263340

hal8000
May 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
In my experience many distros break during upgrading; the ONLY exception is Debian (on which ubuntu is based). Sometimes its nothing more than updating a few files, at other times it can lead to a total system failure and having to reboot.

For this reason I always create a couple of spare partitions and install a new Ubuntu to the new partitions; this way I can test the new version without breaking anything.
Hope that helps

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
It is strange!
Didn't it upgrade?

ni@ni-desktop:/etc$ cat lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.2"

ni@ni-desktop:/etc$

Help version is 2.22.1

Gins
May 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
It is strange. I think it didn't upgrade at all. Just upgraded a few files or rather programs.
What do you all think?
.................................................. ...........................
ni@ni-desktop:/etc$ cat issue
Ubuntu 8.04.2 \n \l

ni@ni-desktop:/etc$

trench.me
May 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
It might seem redundant but try following this guide:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-810-intrepid-to-ubuntu-904-jaunty.html

And something I forgot to add in my earlier comment: the upgrade to Jaunty is definitely worth it. I love everything about it. The only reason I had problems with the second upgrade is because of an old Voodoo card. The old voodoo cards always make for a much more difficult install/upgrade in my experience.