PDA

View Full Version : Do you play chess?

jpmelos
May 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hello, guys!

I started playing chess a few days ago, and after playing with GNU Chess a few times, I figured I should look for an online platform to play with other people. I found out about http://www.chess.com and I think the site is really great, so I thought I should share this here. If you play there too, challenge me for a match! :D

Just so you don't expect too much of me, I'm kinda new to the game and haven't learned many fancy tactics and stuff, but we can try to have a good game. :D

Send challenges at http://www.chess.com/echess/profile/jpmelos.

Peace.

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
hmm...I quite like chess...this'd be good to brush up my tactics...haven't played in a very long time though...

suitedaces
May 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
I play quite a bit, though my lack of book theory is frankly woeful! Prefer on the board chess though, for some reason it just makes it easier to visualise.

chriskin
May 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I play quite a bit, though my lack of book theory is frankly woeful! Prefer on the board chess though, for some reason it just makes it easier to visualise.

just like the quoted poster, i play (or at least i played) a lot, but i do not play by the book at all.
i agree with the second part as well, chess is supposed to be played on a real board, a wooden or marble one if possible, it makes the game look more real :)

HappyFeet
May 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I once had a ranking of 1600 (2000 is a master), but have not played in years. I would probably get my butt kicked now by most people that play even a little.

reprobus
May 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I play on FICS www.freechess.org with the same handle I use here. Chess is not just a game for me its a hobby.

geoken
May 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
I used to play a lot on Yahoo games (my rating bounced between 1400 and 1700 depending on how much I played). Unfortunately, everything is blocked at my work now so my daily lunch time games are no more.

Dr Small
May 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
I don't play against computers because it is sooo irritating. But, I do play on a real chess board with any opponent ;)

Newuser1111
May 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Do you play chess?No.

terabyte1
May 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
I try to play chess - it's not easy, being full of tactics and politics of the opposing side - a bit like the British Government right now :)

I've been trying to play chess since I played against my father when I was a small boy. Since I am now 67 years old, the status quo is the same but my understanding of the game has moved on somewhat...;)

lukjad
May 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't play against computers because it is sooo irritating. But, I do play on a real chess board with any opponent ;)
+1
I don't always play the best moves, strategically, but I play against the opponent. I can't stand computers since all they do is play. I like the game, but I also like the time spent thinking with someone else.