PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Applet Crash: FastUserSwitchApplet error

paradoxic
May 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Often when I load Java applets in Firefox my firefox will just shutdown. Sometimes simple applets work, but most crash. In one case a Java applet completely crashes my system and the computer screen goes black for a second and then comes back to the login screen (GNOME seems to have crashed). Then when I log back in I got this message:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".

Thanks in advance.

cyprys
November 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
It's a common problem after upgrade to Karmic. I don't know why there's no fix yet - didn't find any on launchpad at least. Try
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-applets gnome-applets-data and also make sure your panel is at last 25px height (RMB on the panel -> Properties -> Size). There's no guarantee but it might help.

ionFreeman
November 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks, cyprys. My panel was set to 24 pixels high, so now I have great hope for the future. I let GNOME delete the applet, though, and I don't see it on RMB -> Add To Panel. How do I get the applet back?

cyprys
November 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM
sudo apt-get install indicator-applet libempathy30 indicator-session indicator-applet-session

In my case: I deleted Empathy and since indicator-applet-session (which is the package containing new fast-user-switch-applet) depends on libempathy30 it couldn't run.

BTW, some off-topic: Really smooth, Canonical! I need Empathy's libs installed in order to get basic system functionalities available (such as logging out or shutting down my gear for example). And I don't even use Empathy since it lacks many compared to pidgin - why the change anyway?

edited:
Please, mark this thread as SOLVED if you've resolved your problem.