PDA

View Full Version : Anybody considering XP? Read this!

ChristianR
January 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
This may have been posted before, but one may never read enough of the stone age of IT... :rolleyes:
http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/5937.html

brk3
January 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Its partly true..

curuxz
January 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
already been posted a couple times, brk3 seems to be perticualry against this guy :S, while swearing does not bother me thats a perticualy unpleasent word :S

Titus A Duxass
January 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
A very unpleasant word indeed, but in this instance it is fitting.

It means a pregnant fish in some parts of Yorkshire.

curuxz
January 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
LOL, I cant recall hearing that while i was in york last ;) but ill take your word for it since last time i was up north I thought bonnie was a complement :(

towsonu2003
January 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM
from my experience, you're pretty much screwed (except that the manufacturers _love_ microsoft) if u don't have your drivers cd to pop in right after the installation...

w/ me, a fresh install did not recognize my dial up modem, video card, touch pad, and wireless card. installing these drivers (w/ driver CD at hand) took about 40 minutes + 3 reboots. ubuntu on the other hand did not recognize my wireless and modem... both a headache under linux. it did not require reboots during configuring modem and wireless.

to my experience (installed windows from scratch twice, linux about 8 times), linux is much much better in out-of-the-box hardware recognition (ok maybe except slackware ;) ) if you ignore the winmodem issue...

Mr_Grieves
January 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hahaha.. a fun read. Thanks.

majikstreet
January 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Didn't read much, but I read parts of it.. The few windows installs that I've done have been hell. verrrrry long and evil, and then getting drivers set up afterwards is another hell.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Loved it ....

Bad words and all...;)

Azion
January 14th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Good read.

Poor old Windows

brk3
January 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Sorry about the cursin :) i just didnt like his writing style at all. very camp and cliched

nebyah
January 20th, 2006, 01:40 AM
http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/12/henrys-windows-xp-linux-review.html

joflow
January 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I thought the hardware debate was pretty much settled. windows has better hardware support, linux has better hardware recognition. if linux doesn't detect your hardware out of the box then you're more then likey in for a head ache. if it does recognize all of your hardware then you'll fully working system up much quicker and easier then windows.

xequence
January 20th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Odd, since a windows installation takes alot less time then an ubuntu one for me.