PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating to Ubuntu Linux for the first time.

bawig1
May 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to these forums as I am finally sick of Vista and have decided to migrate my laptop to Ubuntu Linux. I have made a list of all the hardware on my system and am looking for a good source to check whether my hardware is supported. I have a few devices that I am not sure whether they are supported, like my built in webcam (a usb device) and built in bluetooth. I think my wireless card is of type-n but I will have to double check.

I have started backing up all my data but am not sure where to find certain items to backup. I have GnuPG installed and would like to keep all my keyrings ect. Also is there any way of backing up the bookmarks that firefox keeps? I have armed myself with a copy of "Ubuntu for non-geeks" so I should be able to install everything. I'm just not 100% confident about migrating as this is my first time migrating to Linux.

Thanks,

Brett.

hatalar205
May 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
If you have enough space you must keep Vista and install Ubuntu on a separate partition. I mean you must have (or make) three partitions. 1 - Vista, 2 - Back up partition 3 - Ubuntu. Because, at first it can be a bit difficult to immigrate Ubuntu and sometimes you need Vista for spesific programs, at least until learning Linux better. In this way if you like and learn Ubuntu more you can later delete vista, if not you can go on using Vista without any problem.
But it is your choice and don't hesitate to ask here whenever you need help. You will always find helpful people here to help you.

Therion
May 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
If you're installing Jaunty (9.04) you should be presented with the option to dual-boot with Windows by default.

As for backing up your bookmarks I suggest you install the XMarks plugin for Firefox.

http://download.xmarks.com/download

Or, in Firefox, you can go to Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, Import and Backup and export your bookmarks to a file you can then import back in to Firefox.

bawig1
May 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.I have downloaded the 9.04 CD and booted it on my laptop. Wireless and bluetooth work fine (which were my main concern). Is there a are website where I can check my list of hardware to see if it is supported?

I don't think i'll dual boot. I've been doing some re-search and it seems that everything I do with Vista I can do with Ubuntu. The main things I use my laptop for atm are;

JCreator - for java. - eclipse seems to be available so it looks like that is sorted

UML modeling. - havent found anything on Linux yet.

OpenOffice seems like it will handle anything I used to do with microsoft office

and it looks like I will be able to burn ISO's and other data to cd and dvd.

thanks again,

Brett.