PDA

View Full Version : Book meme

Dragonbite
May 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Grab the nearest book.
Open it to page 56.
Find the fifth sentence.
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.

"One drop-down list shows all of the objects referenced in the code module, while the other drop-down list shows the procedures associated with each object." -- Using Visual Basic for Applications 5 Special Edition

I just read this from somebody's blog posting and thought this would be a fun thread.
(Hey, I'm at work, what do you expect? My Beginning Ubuntu LTS Server Administration book is further away than this one!)

Dragonbite
May 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Actually, the closest reading material I had was a magazine, but it was only 42 pages, so I had to find the closest book with more pages. ;)

NCLI
May 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
"Pope John Paul II created more saints than all his predeccessors of the past several centuries put together, and he had a special affinity with the Virgin Mary" - The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Rainstride
May 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Grab the nearest book.
Open it to page 56.
Find the fifth sentence.
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.

"One drop-down list shows all of the objects referenced in the code module, while the other drop-down list shows the procedures associated with each object." -- Using Visual Basic for Applications 5 Special Edition

I just read this from somebody's blog posting and thought this would be a fun thread.
(Hey, I'm at work, what do you expect? My Beginning Ubuntu LTS Server Administration book is further away than this one!)

Experiments are now under way to grow a new strand of bacterium that
feeds only on dead flesh.

suitedaces
May 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
"for large institutions this was expensive"

Fundamental of investments, alexander sharpe and bailey.

benj1
May 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
"His hand grabbed her heaving...." ;)

no seriously

"And then, if we love a girl very dearly we want to do as she likes, so after all you have your own way."
Daniel Deronda, George Eliot

(too true)

lykwydchykyn
May 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
"And if your eye distracts you from God, pull it out and throw it away." --The Message New Testament

sydbat
May 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
"What if the Emperor himself never sees such a report?" demanded Jason. - The Road To Cana, Anne Rice

Tristam Green
May 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
On disks with 9- to 18-GB capacity, it is between 1 and 2GB.

Section "Changing Disk Usage for System Restore"

spupy
May 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
It's a translation:
"Two local years ago Monsieur Lucas Odi checked into the Vatican hospital for a routine replacement of the eyes, ears and the heart." - The Rise of Endymion, by Dan Simmons.

lolwut?

Delever
May 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Translated (probably badly) from Lithuanian:

"But could I stand against all others, especially with that finger in my shoe?"

bigm141414
May 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
"You may use a linear resistor whose voltage drop can be used to sense the magnitude of the currenet in the nonlinear resistor."
Introduction to Non linear Network Theory - Leon O. Chua

Hooray for reference texts in my cubicle.

Name change
May 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
My is also a translation:
What female lacks is a symbolic castration - she would be God if she would be whole (all).
From Political Anti-philosophy.
Even I don't quite know what this sentence means :D.

(BTW: I like UF because of such threads, they're fun)

bekind2thenoob
May 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Aboveboard.

-Its not a sentance but its got full stops before and after it???

Ozor Mox
May 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
"Having a relatively modest DH means that in cold tissue the oxygen affinity of haemoglobin does not become so high that the oxygen cannot dissociate from it."

Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze? And 114 Other Questions - New Scientist

happysmileman
May 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Two books closest to me (same distance, one on top of the other so i went with both)

"The number of moles of a substance can be found from its mass and, for gases only, from it's volume" - Chemistry revision book.

"Cliathánaí m4 winger (sport)" - Irish-English Dictionary

red_Marvin
May 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
"b) Radio Equipment shall effectively use the spectrum allocated to terrestrial or space radio communications and orbital resources so as to avoid harmful interference."

- It's from my course book on electromagnetic compability.

Giant Speck
May 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
From Robin Cook's Marker:

"About an hour later and back in her street clothes, Laurie stepped into the back elevator."

divague
May 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
"Bortolan et al. [Bortolan et al., 1991] used a feed forward network with backpropagation to classify seven beat types using 39 features."

Neheb
May 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
"You are a warrior, and in your hands you can turn anything into a weapon." - The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer by Matt Ralphs / Games Workshop.

Saint Angeles
May 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
"But he did not answer either; indeed, he seemed not even to have heard my question, and his silence made me afraid." - Dawn by Elie Wiesel

koenn
May 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
By sending a packet with multiple options set, such as no operation, maximum segment size, window scale factor, and timestamps, it is possible to make some assumptions about the target operating system.
Hacking Exposed, 3th edition, S. McCLure e.a.

The books nearest to my computer happen to be computer books ...

CharmyBee
May 23rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
"Always load the Optimized defaults after updating the BIOS or after clearing the CMOS values." - GIGABYTE S-series motherboards GA-MA770/DS3/DS3P | GA-MA770-S3/S3P user's manual

Islington
May 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
"Lets use butane as an example." Organic Chemistry, 6th ed; L.G. Wade, Jr.

Saint Angeles
May 23rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
i thought book titles are supposed to be underlined.

Giant Speck
May 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
i thought book titles are supposed to be underlined.

When typed, they are supposed to be italicized, but when written by hand, they are supposed to be underlined.

calrogman
May 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
"YON'S RUBBISH!" - The Broons, 2007 annual.

dragos240
May 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
"Booleans: Operations which take Boolean operands result in Boolean values, which may either be true or false. Table 2-6 summarizes the various Java Boolean operators." -- Internet world, 60 minute guide to JAVA.

meho_r
May 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
"...one koji ne budu vjerovali na strašne muke ću staviti i na ovome i na onome svijetu i niko im neće moći pomoći."... (Kur'an, 3:56)

And in English (translation by Yusuf Ali):

"...As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."...(Qur'an, 3:56)

Joeb454
May 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
In the next section, we take a closer look at how the [] operator works and why you might prefer that operator to the . operator when accessing beans.

Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP Standard Tag Library - It was for a project I was doing at University :)

suitedaces
May 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
"Thus black plays 15...h5 intending ...Kh7 and ...Bh6"

How to reassess your chess, jeremy silman.

Just to clarify, it is the 5th complete sentence as opposed to 5th line?

0per4t0r
May 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
What is this "book" you speak of?

Giant Speck
May 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
What is this "book" you speak of?

http://bryangruhlke.com/wp-content/gallery/miscellaneous/pa20090309.jpg

Kingsley
May 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
"Scoop I orbited for six days before being brought down."

--The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton

sintacto
May 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Remove the stem from the chiles anchos,but do not remove the seeds and veins.

Chilli Bob
May 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
If you are working with a very large amount of content, the content hierarchy is going to be far more explicit.

from 250 HTML and Web Design Secrets by Molly E. Holzschlag

Garudi
May 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
"She had more color today, but her manner was cold and efficient, as if her emotions were running on a very low charge."

Vitals by Greg Bear

JohnFH
May 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The books nearest to my computer happen to be computer books ...

Me too ...

"The base Xorg distribution consists of 30 packages (almost 120MB), which contain the server, along with support and development libraries, fonts, various clients, and documentation."
Ubuntu Unleashed.

MaxIBoy
May 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM
A filmed version of Rap Master Ronnie featuring Jim Morris, the Smothers Brothers, and Carol Kate was broadcast on Cinemax in 1988.

From a biography of Garry Trudeau.

Dragonbite
May 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ah, this time I find my Beginning Ubuntu LTS Server Administration book is the closest! yea!
To understand a Linux package manager, you need to know about software repositories.

(sounds kinda obvious to me)

Gvigo
June 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
FM frequency modulation frecuencia modulada

capnthommo
June 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
No one was safe when Cohen the Barbarian was around.
Terry Pratchett, "Interesting Times"
not very techie but i'm reading it at the moment. sometimes a little fiction is good - honest!
cheers
nigel
:)

Neheb
June 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
These men indeed went to the lake to view Sarnath; but though they found the vast still lake itself, and the gray rock Aukrion which rears high above it near the shore, they beheld not the wonder of the world and pride of all mankind.

from H.P.Lovecraft Omnibus 2 Dagon and other macabre tales