PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 Installation Problems

lotster
May 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop PC with an AMD Athlon X2 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT screen card. It boots to the DVD perfectly, but when I select "Install" it loads the kernel, then gives a blank screen with a flickering cursor in the top left corner. Initially I supposed that it might be the screen card, so I tried different video options, but still nothing. My next guess was the SATA HDD I use (having previously had problems with it when trying to install Vista), but I tried all the IDE and RAID options in the BIOS (which solved the Vista problem), and I still get exactly the same result.

Can anyone please help me with this? And please, keep in mind that I'm a newbie...

Thanks!

alwayshere
May 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Try the install on another pc to see if ya install disk is ok maybe ya got a bad disk burn I have had that before also have you the corect intall disk for ya pc there is 32 install and a 64 install also one for mac

lotster
May 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for replying so soon! Sorry, I should have mentioned... yes, my disc is fine, I installed it successfully on my laptop. I also had the same problem with 8.04.

lotster
May 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hi! I finally sorted it out myself with some info I found on an OpenSUSE forum... I just added the line "noapic acpi=off noft" in the boot menu where I started the installation from. It worked 100%.