PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I clone a dual boot ubuntu system???

Nuticulus
May 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi,

My laptop has a Vista partition and an Ubuntu partition. I have several applications that used to work on Vista, but I suspect that some trivial change might have caused them to stop working, so I want to restore the Vista installation using the provided disks. Will this affect (i.e. wipe) the partition with Ubuntu? Also, is there some way that I can make a custom liveCD that will install Ubuntu as I have set it up, if the Vista reset does mess things up?

Thanks in advance...

logos34
May 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
is there some way that I can make a custom liveCD that will install Ubuntu as I have set it up, if the Vista reset does mess things up?

There is something called Remastersys (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-with-remastersys.html) (cd/dvd)...You could also just make an backup image of ubuntu with Partimage on the ubuntu live cd, or using Clonezilla live cd/usb.

Nuticulus
May 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I tried Remastersys but when I tried to run the LiveCD it froze with a hashed-up looking ubuntu logo on both sides of the screen. With Partimage, which partition do I save? The main one, the linux-swap, or both?

logos34
May 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
With Partimage, which partition do I save? The main one, the linux-swap, or both?

Just /, the system partition.

Nuticulus
May 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Assuming the Vista reset deletes my Ubuntu partition, how should I go about reinstalling my Ubuntu image?

logos34
May 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
just use the live cd to start up partimage, point it to the target partition and restore the image...its all explained in the documentation