PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Prices Higher than Vista Says Dell

jedimasterk
May 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10242555-64.html:
:guitar:

x33a
May 22nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
well people are going to use windows 7 just as they have been using xp and vista, that is ... use a pirated copy :D

A lot of people are singing praises for win 7, but i seriously doubt most of them will buy it.

majamba
May 22nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
The end is the begining: C&C Kane

Don't expects anything else from Microsoft

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
well people are going to use windows 7 just as they have been using xp and vista, that is ... use a pirated copy :D

A lot of people are singing praises for win 7, but i seriously doubt most of them will buy it.

lol, what a bunch of rubbish.

Kingsley
May 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM

Hey, you don't speak for all of us! Well... Maybe you do for me. :-\"

x33a
May 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hey, you don't speak for all of us! Well... Maybe you do for me. :-\"

well, i am not even speaking for myself, because i am not using windows anymore :mrgreen:

Swarms
May 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
It is sad, because its actually a great OS. They should be rewarded for getting their acts together.

gn2
May 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
That story is just speculation, the price structure is yet to be announced.

fatality_uk
May 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Dell maneuvering to make sure they have a Dell "price" for seven

monsterstack
May 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Who honestly goes out and buys an operating system these days? Who? Before anyone who actually intends on buying the distro outright comes back at me and says that you're merely interested, or that you're a developer, or that you'll have to work with it or support it or blah blah blah, just remember this: the rest of the world's poor souls will inherit Windows 7 when their old heaps of junk inevitably explode and they have to buy a new PC. This is the single biggest reason for Microsoft's success on the desktop. Don't even try to kid yourselves it was ever any other way. As new PCs, laptops and netbooks will comprise the vast majority of new Windows Licences, the price of the damn thing won't at all matter. All it will mean is OEMs will absorb the extra cost by bundling cruft if it does indeed turn out to cost more. And even if they don't: will anybody really have a choice?

gn2
May 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Who honestly goes out and buys an operating system these days? Who?

Everyone who buys a computer with Windows installed or an Apple.

monsterstack
May 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Everyone who buys a computer with Windows installed or an Apple.

That is precisely my point. Most Windows users never upgrade their OS by design. They just upgrade their PCs. The majority of Microsoft Windows Licences sold are no more than a side-effect of this trend.

MikeTheC
May 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
And even if they don't: will anybody really have a choice?

"There’s always a choice. We say there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made."
-- Lady Morella, B5 "Point of No Return"

cocopuffz
May 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Well I'm buying it. You can't run Cubase 5, FLstudio 8, Melodyne etc on Linux. I love my Linux laptop.. but editing videos and making/Recording audio/music in Linux is as chore. It's never been an issue of money. It's always been an issue for the right tool for the job.

Ubuntu is the right tool for my basic desktop needs... Windows is the right tool for my production machines.

gn2
May 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Most Windows users never upgrade their OS by design. They just upgrade their PCs. The majority of Microsoft Windows Licences sold are no more than a side-effect of this trend.

Worse than that, the ever increasing hardware requirements for every Windows release drives an ever spinning merry-go-round of hardware purchases.
In a few years time the company I work for will be forced to ditch tens of thousands of perfectly serviceable computers to switch from Xp to 7.
It's scandalous.

monsterstack
May 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Worse than that, the ever increasing hardware requirements for every Windows release drives an ever spinning merry-go-round of hardware purchases.
In a few years time the company I work for will be forced to ditch tens of thousands of perfectly serviceable computers to switch from Xp to 7.
It's scandalous.

Well, Windows 7 will be pretty much the first time in Microsoft's history that they've managed to squeeze out an operating system that's less bloat-tastic than the one before. Vista was a mistake because they expected the non-stop upgrade treadmill to keep on going. It didn't. Computers became good-enough for most purposes. All of a sudden, upgrading your kit wasn't really all that necessary any more. More importantly, what could you do on Vista that you couldn't do adequately on XP?

Any way, it looks like Microsoft have scored a winner with Windows 7. As any fule know, it's pretty much just Vista with tonnes of bloat removed, a few clever tweaks under the hood and a brand new lick of paint. Vista isn't really all that bad these days if you have the hardware to run it, and most people do. Does anyone remember how awful XP was before the first two service packs? Vista has its service packs, now, too, and they will be carried over to 7. It means Microsoft might finally be able to squeeze out an OS that's not completely riddled with security holes and hardware incompatibilities on day one. I think it will get some good reviews.

k2t0f12d
May 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
It is sad, because its actually a great OS. They should be rewarded for getting their acts together.They still haven't re-licensed with an offer of the four freedoms up front. That is neither great nor rewardable behavior.

It's scandalous.If Micro$oft and hardware manufacturers weren't trying forcibly drive up each other's sales, maybe we would see a Windows release that could run on virtually any computer, scaling its performance relative to the resources of the machine?

Swarms
May 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
They still haven't re-licensed with an offer of the four freedoms up front. That is neither great nor rewardable behavior.
They have made an OS that is faster and less ressoursehungry than its predecessor. (Not something Ubuntu follows fully).

But since you are writing Microsoft with a $, you are probably biased and unable to exit your little "Micro$oft is eeeeevul!!!1" world.

jedimasterk
May 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Who honestly goes out and buys an operating system these days? Who? Before anyone who actually intends on buying the distro outright comes back at me and says that you're merely interested, or that you're a developer, or that you'll have to work with it or support it or blah blah blah, just remember this: the rest of the world's poor souls will inherit Windows 7 when their old heaps of junk inevitably explode and they have to buy a new PC. This is the single biggest reason for Microsoft's success on the desktop. Don't even try to kid yourselves it was ever any other way. As new PCs, laptops and netbooks will comprise the vast majority of new Windows Licences, the price of the damn thing won't at all matter. All it will mean is OEMs will absorb the extra cost by bundling cruft if it does indeed turn out to cost more. And even if they don't: will anybody really have a choice?

Ah people who like to build their own computer systems, and save money vs buying a propriety built system. Like those who frequent Sharky Extreme ,Hard COP, etc.. Those who like going to NewEgg.com

monsterstack
May 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Ah people who like to build their own computer systems, and save money vs buying a propriety built system. Like those who frequent Sharky Extreme ,Hard COP, etc.. Those who like going to NewEgg.com

Yes. About 1% of the world's Windows-using population.

But since you are writing Microsoft with a $, you are probably biased and unable to exit your little "Micro$oft is eeeeevul!!!1" world.

Of course he's biased. But it doesn't matter. Hating Microsoft is not a crime.

Swarms
May 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Of course he's biased. But it doesn't matter. Hating Microsoft is not a crime.

Yes, if its because of reasons that was made up.
And again, writing Microsoft with an $, is unoriginal and really mocks the author instead of the intended target.

geoken
May 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
If Micro$oft and hardware manufacturers weren't trying forcibly drive up each other's sales, maybe we would see a Windows release that could run on virtually any computer, scaling its performance relative to the resources of the machine?

Show me the Linux distro that has been able to do the same. While Linux may be adept at scaling down to accommodate low end hardware, it's seems unable to take advantage of high end hardware the way Vista does. With 8g of ram and pretty much every app I'd ever think of using pre-fetched I can launch all the apps in my quick launch area faster than I can launch Nautilus or FireFox on Ubuntu.

Ptero-4
May 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Show me the Linux distro that has been able to do the same. While Linux may be adept at scaling down to accommodate low end hardware, it's seems unable to take advantage of high end hardware the way Vista does. With 8g of ram and pretty much every app I'd ever think of using pre-fetched I can launch all the apps in my quick launch area faster than I can launch Nautilus or FireFox on Ubuntu.

AFAIK. It only prefetch M$ apps.

It is sad, because its actually a great OS. They should be rewarded for getting their acts together.

What:confused:!!! WTF are you smokin':rolleyes:.

monsterstack
May 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM

Yeah. Linux sucks. I wonder why (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=06633968&OS=06633968&RS=06633968) [uspto.gov]. It's almost as if Microsoft bought somebody else's idea and then patented it.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
What:confused:!!! WTF are you smokin':rolleyes:.

and what are you smoking?

Nevakonaza
May 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Windows 7 is quite good even in RC stage,Better than Vista has ever been.

Its faster,more efficient.....Everything that Vista should have been in the first place.

But yeah it wouldnt surprise me if they charged alot for it...thats Microsoft for you!

If microsoft had any decency they would offer windows 7 upgrade edition half price to those people who purchased failiure vista with valid recipts.

Giant Speck
May 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Windows thread:

[user1] Hey you guys, <negative comment about Windows or Microsoft>!
[user2] OMG <negative comment agreeing with original negative comment about Windows or Microsoft]
[user3] I like Windows.
[user4] But Windows sucks! Microsoft is evil!
[user3] Nuh uh!
[user4] Yeah huh!
[user5] <really long post about how Microsoft is a monopoly and that its users are being held prisoner by its crippled operating system>
[user6] <really long rebuttal to the really long post about how Microsoft is a monopoly and that its users are being held by its crippled operating system>
[user7] <very short and completely unrelated anecdote demonstrating why the really long rebuttal isn't true on her computer>
[user8] <very short and equally useless anecdote demonstrating why the above anecdote does not apply to him>
[user9] <really hard to read post with absolutely no regard for grammar, spelling, or sentence structure with frequent use of the words Micro$oft and Winblows>
[user10] <really short comment about how user9 shouldn't be taken seriously because of his intentional misspellings of Microsoft and Windows>
[user9] <really short rebuttal about how user9 thinks he can say whatever he want>
[user10] <continues to argue with user9 despite the fact that he knows very well he can just put user9 on his ignore list>
[user11] <really short post claiming that Windows 7 is the best release ever>
[user12] <really short post claiming that Windows 7 is the worst release ever>
[user13] <angrily disagrees and flames user11 for liking Windows>

<user43 starts a flame war with user32 and user39>

[mod] moved to recurring discussions

[admin] closed for review

MellonCollie
May 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Typical Windows thread:

:)

Ozor Mox
May 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Typical Windows thread:

[user1] Hey you guys, <negative comment about Windows or Microsoft>!
[user2] OMG <negative comment agreeing with original negative comment about Windows or Microsoft]
[user3] I like Windows.
[user4] But Windows sucks! Microsoft is evil!
[user3] Nuh uh!
[user4] Yeah huh!
[user5] <really long post about how Microsoft is a monopoly and that its users are being held prisoner by its crippled operating system>
[user6] <really long rebuttal to the really long post about how Microsoft is a monopoly and that its users are being held by its crippled operating system>
[user7] <very short and completely unrelated anecdote demonstrating why the really long rebuttal isn't true on her computer>
[user8] <very short and equally useless anecdote demonstrating why the above anecdote does not apply to him>
[user9] <really hard to read post with absolutely no regard for grammar, spelling, or sentence structure with frequent use of the words Micro$oft and Winblows>
[user10] <really short comment about how user9 shouldn't be taken seriously because of his intentional misspellings of Microsoft and Windows>
[user9] <really short rebuttal about how user9 thinks he can say whatever he want>
[user10] <continues to argue with user9 despite the fact that he knows very well he can just put user9 on his ignore list>
[user11] <really short post claiming that Windows 7 is the best release ever>
[user12] <really short post claiming that Windows 7 is the worst release ever>
[user13] <angrily disagrees and flames user11 for liking Windows>

<user43 starts a flame war with user32 and user39>

[mod] moved to recurring discussions

[admin] closed for review

Nail. Head. :)

andras artois
May 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
It doesn't do them any favours giving it a high price because it just means people are going to download it instead and no matter what they do people will always be able to crack it or find a different key for it.

geoken
May 22nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
AFAIK. It only prefetch M$ apps.

No, prefetching has no dependence on the app vendor and makes no extra requirements on the app (ie. it doesn't require the app take advantage of some pre-fetching api to register itself for pre-fetching).

Launching Firefox is almost as fast as un-minimizing it (which is to say, instant).

k2t0f12d
May 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
They have made an OS that is faster and less ressoursehungry than its predecessor. (Not something Ubuntu follows fully).I hadn't said they hadn't. Micro$oft is a software developer and employs a great many programmers. That they may have improved on Vista is horses for courses. That isn't extraordinary at all. But offering their users the four freedoms up front in the licensing of the software would be.

Yes, if its because of reasons that was made up.WTF are you talking about? Tell me, what exactly have I made up here?

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I hadn't said they hadn't. Micro$oft is a software developer and employs a great many programmers. That they may have improved on Vista is horses for courses. That isn't extraordinary at all. But offering their users the four freedoms up front in the licensing of the software would be.

So, instead of saying, yeah thats the direction we want you to go Microsoft, we are just saying "**** that, you could make it so much better!"?
You are going to be a great parent.

WTF are you talking about? Tell me, what exactly have I made up here?
Here you go:

If Micro$oft and hardware manufacturers weren't trying forcibly drive up each other's sales, maybe we would see a Windows release that could run on virtually any computer, scaling its performance relative to the resources of the machine?

According to your statement, their goal would be to make Windows 7 more ressourceconsumning than Vista. But hey!, that doesn't seem to be the case.

k2t0f12d
May 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
So, instead of saying, yeah thats the direction we want you to go Microsoft, we are just saying "**** that, you could make it so much better!"?No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I said that a re-license that offers the four freedoms would be rewardable, not whatever it is you think they have done.

According to your statement, their goal would be to make Windows 7 more ressourceconsumning than Vista. But hey!, that doesn't seem to be the case.Win7 projected minimum requirements are actually higher then Vista. What you an I are basing our experience on is purely user observation and not anything technologically measurable. Now, whether or not new hardware will be necessary for Win7 remains to be seen. Everything up to Vista has pushed the sale of new hardware for the best experience. It wasn't until netbooks became an unprovisioned niche market that Micro$oft discovered the impetus to redesign a version of Windows that scales down to the hardware. Suspicious, you say? I think so.

By the way. The way you speak to people far more hateful, vicious, and offensive then a whimsical dollar sign. Who p*ss(d in your corn flakes?

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I said that a re-license that offers the four freedoms would be rewardable, not whatever it is you think they have done.

That is just because, that is all what your (I call it a) religion is about. My priorities is about an OS being userfriendly, fast and a good tool, and if Win7 is moving in that direction, I am happy.
We are moving into a new discussion here, maybe I should stop for now.

Win7 projected minimum requirements are actually higher then Vista. What you an I are basing our experience on is purely user observation and not anything technologically measurable. Now, whether or not new hardware will be necessary for Win7 remains to be seen. Everything up to Vista has pushed the sale of new hardware for the best experience. It wasn't until netbooks became an unprovisioned niche market that Micro$oft discovered the impetus to redesign a version of Windows that scales down to the hardware. Suspicious, you say? I think so.

At the moment Win7 RC is installed on my MacBook, and it is way more userfriendly and slicker than XP ever was, I believe it is Vista done right.
Numbers from Gizmodo (ask for link if you want), where they benchmarked Win7, they discovered it peformed, slightly better than Vista on the same hardware. And that is a comparison with a matured and tweaked Vista with very fresh nVidia drivers, compared to a totally new Win7 with old nVidia beta drivers. You can rest assured, that the numbers will improve.

By the way. The way you speak to people far more hateful, vicious, and offensive then a whimsical dollar sign. Who p*ss(d in your corn flakes?
Hey relax, you are the hateful one here. I was just pointing out that it was an easy way to look immature (which you are clearly not). Let's not get worked up on something as in important as an operating system.

k2t0f12d
May 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hey relax, you are the hateful one here.Where?

I was just pointing out that it was an easy way to look immature (which you are clearly not). Let's not get worked up on something as in important as an operating system.Looks are deceiving. Its best not to assume. I'm not worked up. All I did was say that the improvements to Vista which has become Win7 are not rewardable, but that offering the four freedoms with the software would be. I like UNIX operating system design better, but if Windows came with the four free software freedoms, I would be supportive.

Your rebuttal to me never touched my point and then turned nasty and vicious, even to the point of insinuating I would be a bad parent?? Where did that come from, I wonder?

Swarms
May 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Where?

Looks are deceiving. Its best not to assume. I'm not worked up. All I did was say that the improvements to Vista which has become Win7 are not rewardable, but that offering the four freedoms with the software would be. I like UNIX operating system design better, but if Windows came with the four free software freedoms, I would be supportive.

Your rebuttal to me never touched my point and then turned nasty and vicious, even to the point of insinuating I would be a bad parent?? Where did that come from, I wonder?

Acussing me of being hateful, but my apologies.
Though I still do not agree with you on Win7. (Again different perceptions on whats important with an OS).

tsali
May 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Speak for yourself. A lot of us detest piracy. It's one reason we use Ubuntu.

Johnsie
May 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
This is just Dell trying to cut a deal with Microsoft. They want Microsoft to bring the wholesale prices down so they can make more profit.

Microsoft will give them the discount they want and in return Dell will continue to sell Linux PC's at the same price as Windows ones. Therefore Dell and Windows both win, but Linux loses out (again)

tsali
May 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
They still haven't re-licensed with an offer of the four freedoms up front. That is neither great nor rewardable behavior.

I believe you are attempting to link the merit of an accomplishment to the philosophy that produced it.

In that case, there are a number of spectacular human accomplishments that would not be merit-worthy.

This outlook is not unprecedented. In the US, we have this weird idea that our President should be a moral role model. The French thought our response to President Clinton's dalliance comical. Did his engagement in depravity render all of his accomplishments null and void?

Personally, I think it's amazing that open source developers have be able to produce the software they have despite being shackled by the four "freedoms".

bigbrovar
May 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
How does this concerns me? i don't use window 7, .. they could charge for a kidney for all i care .. in other news ...

k2t0f12d
May 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I believe you are attempting to link the merit of an accomplishment to the philosophy that produced it.No, I wasn't. I didn't say that accomplishment did or did not occur with or without a philosophy. I'm certain that Micro$oft have made accomplishments, but their refinement of Vista with Win7 is completely unsurprising and not deserving of exceptional acclaim, other then simply saying its seems better (and it does seem better, which I have said, too).

In that case, there are a number of spectacular human accomplishments that would not be merit-worthy.We can't be talking about the same thing. What Micro$oft has improved in Win7 for a technical standpoint seems nice to me, too, but a little short of the pyramids or pasteurization.

This outlook is not unprecedented. In the US, we have this weird idea that our President should be a moral role model. The French thought our response to President Clinton's dalliance comical. Did his engagement in depravity render all of his accomplishments null and void?Were his known sexual exploits really depraved? I don't see any analogy between software and Clinton, sorry. However, as a side note, Clinton was legally impeached and sustains a suspiciously hight number of complaints from women who claimed they were raped by him. So unless there is conclusive proof that Clinton did anything good for the country that he and only he could have done, the U.S.A. might have done just as well with just about any other person in office. This is not a statement of political preference on my part, either. I think both sides of the aisle are equally contemptible.

Personally, I think it's amazing that open source developers have be able to produce the software they have despite being shackled by the four "freedoms".In what way is a developer shackled by giving their users the four freedoms?

kc3
May 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
haha if you HATE Microsoft so much you probably SHOULD download it, not like they gain anything by you downloading it :P I used Windows 7 for the longest time and yeah, it's way better than Vista and I'm sure after it's beta stages it'll be much better than any other Windows release, BUT still I'd say Linux really beats Windows except for the areas of high end graphics etc for Gaming and Graphic design.

x33a
May 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Speak for yourself. A lot of us detest piracy. It's one reason we use Ubuntu.

if you cared to read my other comment, you wouldn't be pointing fingers at me.

Sef
May 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Locked. Off track into flaming.