PDA

View Full Version : mobos and hdds

Zom-b
May 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
so, I have been wanting to get a new laptop for some time, but I have been seriously strapped for cash for a while, I have given up trying to get a bleeding edge computer, because they're usually more than I pay for a months rent, so that leaves me with two options, 1) buy a refurbed computer that is a few years old, or 2)buy the parts for one of the dead laptops laying around here,

what are you suggestions, views, advice, or comments on this!?

Regenweald
May 22nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Check here
http://www.techbargains.com/ and here http://www.securemart.com/index.html?mv_arg=2 might find something :)

logos34
May 22nd, 2009, 03:41 AM
depends on what you want to use the machine for and how old/dead the lappy is...If the laptop has decent specs why not bargain hunt for a bigger hdd, dvdrom, some extra ram?

what are the specs?

Skripka
May 22nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Get a tower. Laptops are hot, slow, expensive, and are the epitome of the throw-away society.

Zom-b
May 22nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
depends on what you want to use the machine for and how old/dead the lappy is...If the laptop has decent specs why not bargain hunt for a bigger hdd, dvdrom, some extra ram?

what are the specs?

the one I am using now is a toshiba satellite and it's been upgraded to the most it can handle, but the one I am trying to repair is a compaq persario v2000 it needs a new mobo, and another hdd, but last I remembered it had 1g of ram, 1.6 gh turion 64 processor and an ati 200m

Get a tower. Laptops are hot, slow, expensive, and are the epitome of the throw-away society

I would but it's just more practical for me to get a laptop at this time, easier to move it from one place than another, I am trying to just save up for a media server.

logos34
May 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
one I am trying to repair is a compaq persario v2000 it needs a new mobo,

umm, hate to break it to you, but you cannot replace a laptop mobo. So basically you've got a big paperweight there...Otherwise nice specs

Zom-b
May 22nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
umm, hate to break it to you, but you cannot replace a laptop mobo. So basically you've got a big paperweight there...Otherwise nice specs

yeah you can, albeit it's not as simple as replacing a desktops motherboard but it can be done, just need to buy one, which is simple enough with the wonderful internet, and have a philips screwdriver, and it's as simple as pulling out the old one and putting in the new one

logos34
May 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
yeah you can, albeit it's not as simple as replacing a desktops motherboard but it can be done, just need to buy one, which is simple enough with the wonderful internet, and have a philips screwdriver, and it's as simple as pulling out the old one and putting in the new one

yeah, if you want to put in the exact same part, but where besides ebay would you find one? You'd probably have to go through the manufacturer, and they'll charge an arm an leg (personal experience, here, albeit on a desktop)...Don't you practically have to disassemble a laptop to get the mobo out? (I know it's right under the keyboard, but it's a tight fit)

gn2
May 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
umm, hate to break it to you, but you cannot replace a laptop mobo.

You can, but it has to be the same motherboard.
Usually they can be found on eBay for the popular models.

logos34
May 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
ok, I stand corrected. I guess you can replace it, but it's either going to be a new replacement part straight from the manufacturer ($$$), or a used one from somewhere off the web. No choice like with atx desktop boards. Here's one (http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/64-26046-6777/Compaq-Presario-V2000-Series-Main-Board-Motherboard-.html) for $100.

used
1-month warranty

good luck