PDA

View Full Version : Sub notebooks.

whitefang5412
May 22nd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hey all. Finally made the move and got away from crappy comcast (long story to that). Today I got AT&T along with all the cable channels and HD, plus their fastest internet. The modem they brought out has 4 ethernet ports so I have my desktop, 360, and ps3 running off of that and it also broadcasts wireless as well so my laptop is running from the wireless. I always told myself I would get wireless and buy a sub notebook for quite a few reasons and well... lookie here... I have wireless now! So... my question to you all.. what sub notebook would you recommend? I reload my own ammunition, so it would be nice to have a small notebook at my reloading bench to look up certain load data or information my manuals cant give me, plus I was going to get one for other things. I like the fact that the Asus EEE has the built in web cam, and can use that when making my youtube videos, and I'm buying an HD camera as well so I was going to use my sub notebook to edit videos to. Good little PC's for people who use wireless... but I just can't decide on one! So I ask those with sub notebooks, what do you recommend?

drawkcab
May 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Just bought one myself, here are the two hot deals I found on eeepcs:

I found a refurb'd eeepc 900a for $165 shipped and upgraded the ssd for $50. Mwave is out of them but maybe you can find another deal on ebay? No camera, but you get an atom processor.

They do have the 900 for $179 with the nicer 8gb + 4gb which comes with a camera and a better battery. The problem is that it is an older, slower processor. If you wanna run a lighter distro, this should be fine.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=3005146

Vegabondsx
May 22nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
I have the 701 which has the celeron which by default underclocked to around 650mhz. Ubuntu runs alright on it, especially when using processor scaling between 650 and 900. It can be a little slow at some things, such as hulu although running at low quality helps. The 900 is for the most part the 701 with a larger screen and isn't underclocked by default. The celeron is okay, but I'd recommend getting one with an atom processor. There are 90X models that have Atoms, and all the 1000x series do as well. The faster processor will especially help with any kind of video editing (if you really want to do that on a netbook.)

drawkcab
May 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
btw just noticed woot.com has the Asus eeepc 900 for $155 bux shipped as of midnight. It doesn't have the atom processor but you can upgrade the ssd and the ram for about $70 and have a pretty snappy machine.

geekwanabe
May 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've got the Asus eee 904 HA with a 160 gig hard drive, 1.6 gig atom processor and 2 gigs of ram, one of which I added myself. I've got Ubuntu 9.04 and XP on a dual boot. It's got the webcam.

It nice and snappy and handles both os's great. I love it. My desktop recently died, but I was using the netbook instead of it anyway. I now use it as my primary computer. I think it was around 379.00.

whitefang5412
May 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm going to get me one when I go back to work.