PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 screen flicker

cdmike2k8
May 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I have 9.04 with a 2 monitor setup on an nvidia card running the most up to date restricted driver(I think). One of the screens just began to flicker from the image to black and back about every second or so after I restarted. I don't remember changing anything, but it had also been a long time I had restarted. My guess it that there is a configuration file error because the screen does not flicker when sitting at the login screen, as well as if I go into a shell prompt only(ctrl-shift-F1). Whatever the issue is needs to be resolved at the command line level since a graphical interface is not usable ATM. Thanks in advance,
Michael

chichihchen
October 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
This has happened to me as well. Only to the 2nd monitor.
I believe it's because of nVidia's powermizer feature in its driver. When the GPU attemps to change its frenquency, the second monitor starts to blinks for every few seocnds. (The compiz's not happy with this features.)
If you simply logout and log back in, xorg actually stops the powermizer from doing anything and everything back to normal. There are few tricks to disable powermizer, one's to modify the files in /etc/modprobe.d/options and the other is to modify xorg.conf to inclucde colbit options and fix the frequency permanent if you hate to logout and log back in once in awhile.
Hope this would help~

-Chi