PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to/for Ubuntu

woedend
May 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hi all,
Some may vaguely remember me. Used to hang out here a lot and answer questions. It's been a few years, stuck with arch linux for a long time and really love it. More recently, as with many, my life has become much more busy and my time for tinkering has went from hours a day to hours a week if not month. So, I went back to what brought me into linux years ago...Ubuntu. I was skeptical as when I left(sorry I don't remember)...I had a bitter taste from it. Just bought a Compaq CQ60 from best buy(on a personal note...I really hate Best Buy but can't beat a $379 dollar laptop for the specs). Installed 9.04 dreading the ndiswrapper hell and graphics problems. Not to mention sound. WOAH. Sound played on first boot. Wireless worked without touching a thing. Is this the linux I remember? Now I know all credit can't be given to Ubuntu in general, as the Linux kernel team and X11 and Alsa people have done much more and made this all possible but all I can say is wow. It's beautiful, it's quick, everything worked on first boot. I can't thank you all(community and developers alike) for the long journey linux has made from the obscure configuring hell to the instant on pleasure it is today. I sit here happily tapping out my letter from a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 install and am MUCH happier than with the already crash proned Vista Basic it was installed with. Keep fighting the good fight. Keep putting the word out. I'll be right there with ya.

Alex

lisati
May 22nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Welcome back!
It's great to hear that your recent experiences are going well compared to some of the adventures you've had.
Feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts.