PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Need help installing kubuntu

Anti Microsoft
May 22nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
I tried installing Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Mandriva, and I could get none of them to install. Ubuntu and Kubuntu load up the bootscreen (which is extremely dark btw) and after it loads the bootscreen it just shows 3 logos across the screen with the rest of the screen black, and it freezes (or maybe there's something I have to click but I can't see it because it was absorbed by the darkness [Earthbound reference ftw]) while Mandriva's colors are just fine, but freezes at a black screen after the boot screen and some status screens.

Is it possibly a driver problem? My video card is by Visiontek and it's an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro AGP and I have SoundMAX for my sound card, and using a Pentium IV with 1.8 ghz cpu and over 600 mb of ram, and it's made by Dell.

taurus
May 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
At the Ubuntu initial screen, press F4 for safe graphics mode. See if that works.

Anti Microsoft
May 22nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
It worked, but things are too complicated for me=/

I fancied myself a bit of a semi computer expert but I think I was sadly mistaken. I tried downloading my video card's drivers for Linux, and when I tried to run the installer I was greeted with a console that I had no idea how to use. I thought I had to type a command but it wouldn't even let me do that. Guess I'll stick with XP in classic mode for now until I find a distro that's simpler=/