PDA

View Full Version : Switching School to Ubuntu

bandgeek
May 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
As a student at my high school I would like to see Linux being used. But there are three main problems.

1. IT department- Contracted local company that only knows Windows.

2. Teachers- Afraid of change, don't care, and stiff necked.

3. School Board- Afraid of change, costs!!!

My idea, take an Ubuntu live CD to school stick it in a computer and walk away.

Unfortunately they would think it is a virus. IT man comes in tries to rescue computer to no avail after hours he opens CD drive, laughs and takes disk home for self. Administration gets mad. Fortunately I know my vice principle;)

Any ideas on converting my school are appreciated.

Thanks!

Tibuda
May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Why?

Bodsda
May 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
As a student at my high school I would like to see Linux being used. But there are three main problems.

Unfortunately they would think it is a virus. IT man comes in tries to rescue computer to no avail after hours he opens CD drive, laughs and takes disk home for self. Administration gets mad. Fortunately I know my vice principle;)

Thanks!

I installed ubuntu on 12 computers in my school.

I got suspended for a week.
Get permission

lisati
May 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
+1 on the "Get permission" - it's always a good idea to work with the people who can pull the plug on your access to the machines - a "sneaky" approach (e.g. just installing Ubuntu or leaving a CD in the CD drive) could backfire and damage your reputation.

lethalfang
May 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM

Get permission

LMAO!

If those high school IT people don't know how to prevent students from wiping out their entire hard drive..... they deserve to use Windows. ):P

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 01:10 AM
screwing around behind their backs is not only irresponsible, but just stupid. approach it the right way.

Marlonsm
May 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'd also like to do that on my school, but there are some problems for me:
-Most computers there are too old (still running Win98) so I wouldn't have Compiz while trying to convince them Linux is better.
-Most people there know very few about computers, it's not unusual to find an widescreen monitor running at 1024x768.
-They already have a network set up, and I don't want to mess up with that.
-Teachers rely on MS Office. OpenOffice works, I know, but sometimes some things get messed up when opening .doc or .pps on OOo.

I don't think all the work is worth it, after all, even if I manage to convert all computers there, they'd eventually get Windows installed again.

I'd only sugest Linux if they were getting new computers.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'd also like to do that on my school, but there are some problems for me:
-Most computers there are too old (still running Win98) so I wouldn't have Compiz while trying to convince them Linux is better.

compiz is a poor argument for convincing windows users to try ubuntu.

lovinglinux
May 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
If you simply try to force everyone to use Linux, then you will be hated by students, teachers and the IT personnel.

You could create a Linux group on your school to promote events and extra-curricular activities related to Linux, like mini-courses. You could ask for permission to use Live CDs on these events (I doubt they will let you install) using the school computers. Ask teachers to supervise the activities, so they might become interested about Linux in the long run.

Soon you will be able to create a decent Linux user base on your school and then make pressure as a group to use Linux officially. This will also count positively on your school curriculum and maybe give you some extra points.

gletob
May 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM

I +1 that motion

I think while it would be nice it's not very conceivable for large school districts in my opinion. Like in my school there is a lot of software they use that might not be able to be replicated on Ubuntu.

connorh123
May 22nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
I was really thinking about doing this!
Either Ubuntu, or Edubuntu.
Was gonna think what the IT guys would do, they would be confused as sh** probably :p

lisati
May 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Was gonna think what the IT guys would do, they would be confused as sh** probably :p

It might be better if you have one machine you can use and they can see for themselves that it works for you, without heavy proselytising.....

connorh123
May 22nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
True. The only problem is it's the end of the year, and I don't have keyboarding class :/
Oh well, I'll try it in high-school, using Hardy Heron \\:D/

Carl Hamlin
May 22nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
Instead of messing with systems that don't belong to you, maybe try bringing your laptop in and being vocal when folks ask what you're using.

bashveank
May 22nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Is there a reason you want to switch your school to Ubuntu?

Because the IT guys probably don't have a freaking clue what Linux even is!

Xbehave
May 22nd, 2009, 02:06 AM

Get permission
Atleast you did something useful, i just installed CS with similar results

Danny Dubya
May 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Truly, completely pointless. Look, you simply cannot win -- most people don't care at all about their computers or view them as a necessary pain. They're either afraid of learning new things, or don't see the need to. And I don't blame them at all, there are so much more important things in life. If being "free" is how you get off, well nearly nobody is going to share those values with you, and will just believe you're some stuck-up fanatic trying to make their life difficult. I suggest taking up a different, much more worthwhile cause than this, doing something others actually see benefit in and would be cooperative about, before you get yourself into trouble not even slightly worth getting into.

bandgeek
May 22nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
No where did I say that I was going to do the CD in the drive thing. That is why I asked for any ideas. Sorry should have made that clearer in my original post.

bandgeek
May 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
I have crashed back down to reality. Oh man reality stinks. Anyway thinking of starting a Linux club.

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM

Thanks!

You may want to try writing a compelling argument for giving Ubuntu a trial run on some computers and presenting it to your school officials. If you don't already start going to school board meetings just to observe, join student government or organizations. In other words be informed about how policy is made in general, make friends with others interested in getting involved in school or community affairs, try your hand at issues you're not so passionate about.

If the extent of your interest is linux on school computers you're wasting your time. If you really want to get involved in community politics then I say go for it, it wont hurt when it comes time to apply to universities.

gymophett
May 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM

Thank you. I was just about to write that.
+1

Rainstride
May 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
I have crashed back down to reality. Oh man reality stinks. Anyway thinking of starting a Linux club.

that is a great idea! who knows, maybe you can get enough people seriously involved to start your own loco team;).

t0p
May 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
You need to approach this carefully. Plan. And choose your target.

Get to know a teacher/staff member who teaches IT or has IT responsibilities. Talk to him about general IT stuff, steering conversations towards the benefits of Free software/Linux. Don't get into heavy debates on the issues - keep it cheerful, but stress the utility and the excellence of the Free way. Take into school a laptop/netbook running Linux and let the teacher check it out. Tell him about live cds. Interest him in the idea of running live cds on a small number of machines. Stress that using live cds means you won't be messing with the hard drives.

At the same time you must get some of your fellow students interested in linux. This is very important - the computers are going to be run for the benefit of students, so you must make sure there are students who will want to use linux. There has to be a demand for it otherwise it will not happen.

Take small steps. If you can bring about a change in increments then it won't be scary. And get people on your side - students, the teacher, then more staff members and more students.

It'll take a long time to bring about change. But it is a worthwhile project. Good luck!

Sef
May 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM

Focus on costs. How they can save money and security.

Focus on security.

t0p
You need to approach this carefully. Plan. And choose your target.

Get to know a teacher/staff member who teaches IT or has IT responsibilities. Talk to him about general IT stuff, steering conversations towards the benefits of Free software/Linux. Don't get into heavy debates on the issues - keep it cheerful, but stress the utility and the excellence of the Free way. Take into school a laptop/netbook running Linux and let the teacher check it out. Tell him about live cds. Interest him in the idea of running live cds on a small number of machines. Stress that using live cds means you won't be messing with the hard drives.

At the same time you must get some of your fellow students interested in linux. This is very important - the computers are going to be run for the benefit of students, so you must make sure there are students who will want to use linux. There has to be a demand for it otherwise it will not happen.

Take small steps. If you can bring about a change in increments then it won't be scary. And get people on your side - students, the teacher, then more staff members and more students.

It'll take a long time to bring about change. But it is a worthwhile project. Good luck!

+1.

paddydd
May 22nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
I agree with the patient, documented and direct approach. Try to lookout for the needs of the folks that you want to help.

Here's one more tip for dealing with the windows techs. Make sure you show them how package manager works. How easy it is to pull and install and how easy it is to remove.

I recently showed this to a long time +20year windows tech and he was amazed.

But go slow with the folks. I know how easy it is to get really fired up but be patient.

Paddy

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2009, 05:03 AM

Don't give up... it's a good idea

bandgeek
May 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks hanzomon4 and t0p. Going to try the slow and planned way. Instead of just jumping in and angering the people.

zeroseven0183
May 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
It might be better if you have one machine you can use and they can see for themselves that it works for you, without heavy proselytising.....

Yeah. It's like leadership by example. So gather around your friends and show them your stuffs.

And then bring the whole Ubuntu community to the party and invite Tux as guest mascot. (Joke)

But the first thing you need to do, I think, is to (A very good suggestion from Bodsha)

Get permission

Present a documented proposal to your IT, cite all the advantages (consider the suggestions on this thread) and disadvantages (to be balanced), your proposed steps to migrating the systems to Ubuntu, and a lot more.

Be prepared for negative comments, it always happen especially when you're advocating change.

Finally, ask them:

Do you know you have a different option?

Quoted from Mr. Tweeto in his winning video (http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1106).

sim-value
May 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Violence ! Raw Violence !

Linux has been the Nice community OS all the time now its time For cruel deeds,hate and revenge !

Crush down everybody who does not agree and the rest roast on sticks and forever tie to Linux!

Burn everybody who owns a windows license and The GNU gods will be with you !

erm ... i meant ... Colaborating talking and first bringing Linux into presence on your school by forming a Linux group is a good idea ...

original_jamingrit
May 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
I think the linux student's group is the best idea. Maybe after you get a half dozen people, you can ask to get Ubuntu installed on one (just one) of the public computers. All it takes is one, and then more people will see it and maybe get interested. Kind of like smartboyathome's "Mention, don't preach".

Concerning your school's students and faculty, don't tell them that Linux is better, let them decide that for themselves.

waspbr
May 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Maybe ask someone from the IT department if it would be possible to have one machine set aside to use as an experiment. You should make clear that it won't cost the school anythingand it is going to provide the student to have experience with an additonal Operating system.

I do agree that you should not try to be forceful or engage in heated arguments. As long as it is labeled as an experiment (,which it is) people should be more open to it.

alreadytaken4536
May 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'd rather continue this one since it already exists than make a new one.

I am almost finished with my junior year of high school, and as such, I am thinking about what to do for my senior project next year. Being a part of the Linux community is something very new to me, and I have yet to even do a full installation to any Linux operating system (I'm thinking of Ubuntu, clearly!), but I believe in the principles of open source software, and the clean organization of Linux appeals to me very much.

The school I go to has about 600 students, and it has two main methods of computing: Macs (Macbooks and desktops) and Windows servers. The Macs can stay, as they work wonderfully and allow us to use a lot of high quality proprietary software, but I would like to either introduce an Ubuntu server as an alternative to the Windows server, or, with a lot of luck, replace the Windows servers completely. In the library for instance, you boot up a terminal, and it greets you with a log in screen for the Windows server; after logging in you can view all of your personal files and run a few basic applications. Rarely have I ever seen someone use the servers for anything other than Microsoft Office and internet browsing, so I doubt Ubuntu would be a hard change if people learned how to use it. People have had to get used to software changes in the past without any training (the switch from Office 03 to Office 07 seemed to be a challenge for a lot of people, myself included haha), so I believe that switching over to Ubuntu will go relatively smoothly as long as people are educated about the change.

The big problem I see with this project looking into the future is that our servers at the high school, also serve the middle and elementary schools. That means that I will need to spend time working with all 3 schools in my district on how to use Ubuntu. It's a large undertaking indeed, but I would love it if I could follow through with this. I could spend time researching the effectiveness of an Ubuntu server vs. a Windows server, conduct my own research and tests on speed, and I could spend time developing a viewpoint on the ethics of open source software and why it works so well.

What do you guys think?

Bandit
May 26th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks!

Your best bet is to wait before the computers will be upgraded, then offer Linux solution to the school or school board to retain the hardware and install linux on lab computers to introduce linux. Thus they save money and you can introduce linux.

jhonan
May 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Your best bet is to wait before the computers will be upgraded, then offer Linux solution to the school or school board to retain the hardware and install linux on lab computers to introduce linux. Thus they save money and you can introduce linux.
Zombie thread - He's probably graduated by now.

dmizer
May 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
In order to avoid confusion, I'm closing this thread. alreadytaken4536, please feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thank you.