PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia settings reverting

sndnichols
May 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I am running 9.04. I have installed the proprietary drivers using Hardware Drivers. It sort of works. I go to the nvidia X Server settings and set the resolution to 1280x800 and everything is great. Then, the next day when I start the computer again, it has reverted to 800x600. I have tried to save the settings to X Configuration file, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get an error saying unable to remove backup. Anyone know how to fix this? BTW, th card is a 7000M/610M.

TIA

ceciliaFX
May 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
I just looked at my xorg.conf file.

this is a wild guess but the instructions for what you want seem to be at the end of the comments:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

days_of_ruin
May 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
I am running 9.04. I have installed the proprietary drivers using Hardware Drivers. It sort of works. I go to the nvidia X Server settings and set the resolution to 1280x800 and everything is great. Then, the next day when I start the computer again, it has reverted to 800x600. I have tried to save the settings to X Configuration file, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get an error saying unable to remove backup. Anyone know how to fix this? BTW, th card is a 7000M/610M.

TIA

Type alt+f2 and in the box type "gksu nvidia-settings" and hit enter.
You will be asked for your password. This time you should be able to save the Xorg.conf file.

yotnottin
May 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
I had the same problem on several fresh installs of 9.04 using the nVidia driver.

I finally discovered that the resolution can be set in System/Preferences/Display. When the dialog pops up that says

It appears your graphics driver does not support the necessary extension. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?

.... answer NO. The *Ubuntu* display settings dialog will then come up. You can set your resolution from there and it will be saved along with your other user preferences.

HTH

Mlle.Yotnottin

zachthejones
May 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I had a similar solution to the same issue. After finding the nvidia setting I liked, I hit the button to save it to the xorg.conf file - and then when I showed me the save dialog screen I could choose to view the changes it was going to make. Then I ran this in terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

note: it will prompt you for your password as this is a root action.

the first thing I did was do "save as" and create a backup named "xorg-backup.conf"

then I ran the same command (because when You "save as" any changes would now be on the backup). I just copied and pasted the changes that needed to be made to the xorg.conf file over (for mine it was everything).

When I rebooted the resolution was correct. Hope this (or something like it) works for you.

sndnichols
May 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
As the famous scientist said, I now know several ways that don't work.

ceciliaFX, Thank you for the try. That command resets xorg.conf to a very basic configuration.

days_of_ruin, Thanks for the try. our command did exactly as you said. It i snice to learn about the run "trick" using alt+f2. I didn't know that. I also learned the command for the settings. Where does one find that kind of information? I had tried various formes but never stumbled upon the correct one. (Meaning the nvidia-settings part, I had already discovered gksu).

yotnottin, Thanks for that, it worked. I love you man!

days_of_ruin
May 22nd, 2009, 03:20 AM
As the famous scientist said, I now know several ways that don't work.

ceciliaFX, Thank you for the try. That command resets xorg.conf to a very basic configuration.

days_of_ruin, Thanks for the try. our command did exactly as you said. It i snice to learn about the run "trick" using alt+f2. I didn't know that. I also learned the command for the settings. Where does one find that kind of information? I had tried various formes but never stumbled upon the correct one. (Meaning the nvidia-settings part, I had already discovered gksu).

yotnottin, Thanks for that, it worked. I love you man!

I discovered that in a terminal, typing nvidia then hitting tab until it showed me all the programs that start with nvidia.;)