PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment E17

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
You think Vista will look cool? Wait until Enlightenment E17 is ready and officially released. Then run it on your Linux box! You've never seen anything like it. It will be the fastest and coolest looking GFX desktop on earth. Rasterman and co. have done amazing job with E17. They have coded E17 about 5 years now.

Well, I said it first - remember that ;)

Sneak peak here (these examples will only give you a rough idea about E17):
http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/

http://www0.get-e.org/Backgrounds/Animated/

http://www0.get-e.org/Resources/Modules/

Official Enlightenment project page:
http://www.enlightenment.org

tomski
January 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
many people have already said that and most of us are running the dev version
so im sorry to say that youre not the first

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
many people have already said that and most of us are running the dev version
so im sorry to say that youre not the first

Yeah, you are right - I wasn't serious :) Just want to promote E17. I'm sure a lot of Ubuntu community chat readers have never heard of E17. Keep your eyes on it fellas! It will be something huge! GFX libraries are so good that you can write a fully functional DVD player software with just 17 lines of code! Amazing.

fuscia
January 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
i don't get the fascination with enlightenment. to me, it is the tackiest of all wm's. to each their own. i couldn't be happier for enlightenment's fans.

Stormy Eyes
January 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM
i don't get the fascination with enlightenment. to me, it is the tackiest of all wm's. to each their own. i couldn't be happier for enlightenment's fans.

Yeah, some of the themes are tacky, and it's a real bitch to change the font sizes, but Enlightenment can look damned nice with the right setup.

poofyhairguy
January 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Even though I love eye candy, until E17 has a better way to switch tasks (or conforms to free desktop standards so I can use skippy) its just something to play with every now and then in my mind.

curuxz
January 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
E17 is ok but not very pratical, when doing dev work I need my power else where than just making it look cool and unless I start holding parties to show off my office computers I doubt anyone else will be around to go ohhh wow your pc looks soo cool. ;)

Its fun, but I realy dont see the point

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Guys, remember - it's not officially released yet. Once it's officially out we'll see a lot of cool aps that will use it's libraries. Right now there is only a handful of applications. It will be relatively easy to create cool applications for it and believe me, we'll see something we've never seen before.

Arktis
January 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I doubt I'm ever going to use it. But it's always good to have projects like this that give those "bling" people what they want, even it it is a bit... silly. If it means more people supporting Linux, then I'm all for it.

curuxz
January 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I agree with arktis on that front, if it gets more bodies then its just another tool of the cause and im all in favour. Dont know if its 64bit tho :S

Mr_Grieves
January 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Hm.. I think I had Enlightment installed 5-6 years ago. Perhaps because I didn't know better. Thanks for posting.. didn't understand that E17 was Enlightment.. I'll put thier page in the favorites and check back when it's stable..

wrtrdood
January 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Thing is, it's more than just eye candy. I like a lot of things KDE has to offer but my little laptop just does not have the compute power or memory to make it as functional as it could be. Same with Gnome. E, on the other hand, gives me a very classy look with shadows and other visual improvements and far better performance than any of the others. In the time it takes me to get a functional environment where I can even hope to start applications under Gnome or KDE, I'm already busy writing an Abiword doc under E. Don't sell it short.

Enlightenment is what first attracted me to GNU/Linux years ago. E16 felt clumsy to me and was hard to work with. E17 has major improvements in usability and uses far less resources than others to provide a very nice looking interface. The point drucer made about the architecture behind that pretty face should not be so easily dismissed.

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM
wrtrdood said it right, E17 is more than eye candy. It's not just about themes, it's not about what your background image is - it's about performance, _true_ transparency, easy application creation, customization, whatever! It's something you've never seen before!

Here you can find some performance measures of Unix/Linux window managers:
http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News

Check out how E17 succeeded! Search for keyword "E17 is being optimised" and you'll get the charts.

E17 has the fastest gfx libraries on this planet! Yes, it's way faster than OS-X. Anyone care to disagree? OK, that's fine - let's make some tests! Contact me if you claim OS-X or some other window manager is faster than E17 and we'll test it.

JimmyJazz
January 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
yeah IF is ever gets released, heh

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Hm.. I think I had Enlightment installed 5-6 years ago.

Hi! Yeah, that is very much possible. But! That was Enlightenment 0.16 (E16, although it wasn't called like that back then) - there's a huge difference between the two. They've been working on E17 since 2000/2001.

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 11:52 PM
yeah IF is ever gets released, heh

:) Right, hopefully this will never be like "Duke Nukem Forever" project :), but hey, even now it's the fastest window manager out there.

asimon
January 14th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Yes, but E will not be the only way to have a super cool looking desktop. I am sure we will new shiny effects and themes for the next generation of Gnome and KDE too.

I have very high respect for the developers of E. But I always remember E as something which could potentially look absolute fantastic but is a usablity nightmare and a rather bad development framework.

Seeing what new theming abilities KDE 4 (together with Qt's new Arthur) will bring (and I am sure Gnome won't sleep either) I have good hope that KDE4 can look as good as E but at the same time offer a much better development framework, more integrated apps, better usability, and thus will have better access to artists too.

drucer
January 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Seeing what new theming abilities KDE 4 (together with Qt's new Arthur) will bring (and I am sure Gnome won't sleep either) I have good hope that KDE4 can look as good as E but at the same time offer a much better development framework, more integrated apps, better usability, and thus will have better access to artists too.

Hi! I believe Gnome/KDE will have more users than Enlightenment, but I don't believe either one of them will ever match the speed of Enlightenment. E17 already runs on Japanese mobile devices - I don't believe Gnome/KDE will ever be capable of doing the same.

..But, we're living interesting times (time/times?! sorry, my native language is finnish :)

It'll be interesting to see what'll happen!

super
January 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM
GFX libraries are so good that you can write a fully functional DVD player software with just 17 lines of code! Amazing.

i am in awe! that has gotta be the most incredible thing i've ever seen.
better yet, it actually works!
it's almost enough to make me spend some time learning evas. :p

i can't wait to see the stuff people will create with this framework once it's actually completed.