PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] gnome desktop

fminmexico
May 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
The only reason that I use Xubuntu is because it is the only Ubuntu version that I have been able to make a wireless connection with no problems.I do not like the XFce desktop, is there any way to use the Gnome desktop on Xubuntu.
fminmexico.

coffeecat
May 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Open Synaptic and install 'ubuntu-desktop', or...

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopIt's a meta-package which will pull everything in that you need for Ubuntu gnome. You will then be able to select gnome at the login screen.

kerry_s
May 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
whats wrong with xfce4? you can make it look like what you want, even give it that gnome look. you can use gnome programs in xfce4 without problems, you can even use kde programs. the look is only clothing, skin deep there all the same. do you need help getting a certain look?

if you can connect wireless in xubuntu, you should be able to connect in any linux. you can use the exact same tools as well.

i'm simple mine:

fminmexico
May 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
whats wrong with xfce4? you can make it look like what you want, even give it that gnome look. you can use gnome programs in xfce4 without problems, you can even use kde programs. the look is only clothing, skin deep there all the same. do you need help getting a certain look?

if you can connect wireless in xubuntu, you should be able to connect in any linux. you can use the exact same tools as well.

i'm simple mine:

I have tried at least 6 different Linux flavours including all of the Ubuntu for the last three years.The only Linux that will connect wirelessly is Xubuntu 9.04.As far as xfce4 goes it is the simple things like not being able to edit the programs in your main menu etc,etc.
fminmexico.

kerry_s
May 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have tried at least 6 different Linux flavours including all of the Ubuntu for the last three years.The only Linux that will connect wirelessly is Xubuntu 9.04.As far as xfce4 goes it is the simple things like not being able to edit the programs in your main menu etc,etc.
fminmexico.

oh, okay. edit menus a lot do ya?
what is xubuntu using for wireless connections?
what is your wireless card?

fminmexico
May 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
oh, okay. edit menus a lot do ya?
what is xubuntu using for wireless connections?
what is your wireless card?

No need to be sarky I just like clean menus.I am using an Acer One with a dual boot Xubuntu/XP.With the Xubuntu you click on the shortcut and it gives a list of all the available networks that you have,then setting one up is easy.Most other flavours that I have tried could not even find my network if they did I still could not connect. Xubuntu is by far the simplest and easiest wireless connector available.
fminmexico.

fminmexico
May 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Open Synaptic and install 'ubuntu-desktop', or...

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopIt's a meta-package which will pull everything in that you need for Ubuntu gnome. You will then be able to select gnome at the login screen.

Did that took about 35 minutes to download and install, I seem to have lost a few programs but now I have a choice, thank you very much.
fminmexico.

fminmexico
May 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Did that took about 35 minutes to download and install, I seem to have lost a few programs but now I have a choice, thank you very much.
fminmexico.
It would appear that the Gnome desktop has some how changed my wireless connection because now I cannot connect wirelessly.I reinstalled Xubuntu and the wireless connects with no problem. I will just have to use Xfce.
fminmexico.