PDA

View Full Version : How much of a geek/nerd are you??

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Umm...I just thought I'd start this thread for fun...It's all about, "How much of a geek and/or nerd you really are" :D I'll start first...

I mostly think in programming langs in day to day work...not just english...especially when finding a solution to various problems...(many nerds must be like this...especially those who know multiple langs :D)

At times, I feel I'm in a virtual world and am some sort of computer (you know? like in The Matrix or AMFV?) and all others are just programs (especially those I 'IM')...I just say, "nah!" and push the Idea aside :D...actually if it was so, how advantageous!..all these nerd bullies could be put to runlevel 0 when needed! :D

Umm...Once I had to take this blood test and I closed ma eyes until the 'horrible' (I have a fear of needles...long story...but it's not that bad now :D) thing was over...At the time (when my eyes were closed), I saw the needle from inside my nerve in 3D :D (blood cells moving and all...fully detailed...must be spending too much time with the encyclopedia)

I see stuff in scientifical terms...(dunno a better way to explain this..kinda like awareness of particles and stuff)...

If I have to think hard for something...I either think of an overclocked processor, or changing gears in some sort of computer animation (kinda like the needle thing) in my mind...You know? Jimmy Neutron's "Brain Blast"?? haha

OK, that's something...anyone else?? :D

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
You score quite highly at least for one of the geek requisites: excessive consumption of coffee.

Amongst my friends, I'm some sort of ubernerd. Around places like here, I feel so much more average. It's a crying shame.

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
You score quite highly at least for one of the geek requisites: excessive consumption of coffee.

No no no, for me it's, "EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF TEA" :D...it's better than coffee anyway... I need about 5 or 6 cups for a day at minimum...:D...err...I have no idea how many ml's my cup holds, but it's big enough to be alot :D

Amongst my friends, I'm some sort of ubernerd. Around places like here, I feel so much more average. It's a crying shame.

Lol, same here...almost...no one understands me...it's quite annoying when some ppl think you're boring...over here in the forum, I feel at home! :D

pwnst*r
May 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
too bad the excessive use of emoticons shoots your geek rating down a few points.

chriskin
May 21st, 2009, 07:10 PM
No no no, for me it's, "EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF TEA" :D...it's better than coffee anyway... I need about 5 or 6 cups for a day at minimum...:D...err...I have no idea how many ml's my cup holds, but it's big enough to be alot :D

Lol, same here...almost...no one understands me...it's quite annoying when some ppl think you're boring...over here in the forum, I feel at home! :D

tea eh? respect +1 :)

even though cold coffee can get really good some times:)

baseface
May 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
you think in programming languages?
what languages do you think in?

Saint Angeles
May 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
well i dream of electric sheep.

beat that suckahs.

baseface
May 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM

beat that suckahs.

i **** sheep. beat that home skillet.

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I think I'm the only guy that's not a geek here. Hmm, I'm black, trendy, and popular at school. I just have an interest in computers I guess.

baseface
May 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
trendy huh?
cant quite think for yourself?

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
too bad the excessive use of emoticons shoots your geek rating down a few points.

It does!!?? :D...yeah, I've got used to giving a graphical representation of whatever I'm 'blabberin' about :D...

tea eh? respect +1 :smile:

even though cold coffee can get really good some times:smile:

3/4 Brit :D.

you think in programming languages?
what languages do you think in?

err...I dunno...it's all mixed...Basic, C++, Java...that sort...but then I'm still learning some :D..

Hey, guys we're forgetting the title!! :D

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM
trendy huh?

I'm sorry for being "cool" and "popular". Some people don't like being geeks you know.

All you got to do is talk to girls and wear the latest and greatest stuff, not hard.

Mr-Biscuit
May 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
During a lunch break at work, I walked over to Tuesday Morning. Two women were talking about having computer troubles. I walked back around, explained that it was an OS problem and that having Linux or BSD would be more secure.

I lost them.

I work at WalMart doing physical labor. Yeah.
Anyway, I lose the people in electronics when I start talking.

Coffee? I drink a lot but also I can't afford asthma medicine all of the time.

Near sighted.
Emotional.
Tries, fails, tries again.

Do I think in programming languages? No, I have discussions with a few others on fixing bugs and with basic c and c++ commands.

I try to explain the waste of the PPC processors on gaming consoles.
These could be used for compiling, for system processes, for background services.

I give a rundown of how to fix Windows from within windows...
how to hack the Windows kernel
how to use knoppix to fix it
how to resize the partition.

I tell a Linux user the advantages of FreeBSD,
a Windows user the advantages of Linux, and wonder why the Mac user doesn't use the terminal.

The other side:

I've done physical labor all of my life.
I have an associates in business and a certification in culinary arts, sanisafe, and management.

I grew up poor for a while. We stole food to eat, dug through dumpsters and trash, walked around picking up aluminum cans.

At nine and ten, I worked when not in school.

I didn't have medicine, I just had asthma attacks.

My glasses were given to me then.

Other people bought us clothes and food.

Electricity was stolen.

We lived in foster homes.

I've been homeless.

I have a girlfriend.
I live in the ghetto.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
During a lunch break at work, I walked over to Tuesday Morning. Two women were talking about having computer troubles. I walked back around, explained that it was an OS problem and that having Linux or BSD would be more secure.

I lost them.

Near sighted.
Emotional.

Do I think in programming languages? No, I have discussions with a few others on fixing bugs and with basic c and c++ commands.

These could be used for compiling, for system processes, for background services.

a Windows user the advantages of Linux, and wonder why the Mac user doesn't use the terminal.

The other side:

I have an associates in business and a certification in culinary arts, sanisafe, and management.

I grew up poor for a while. We stole food to eat, dug through dumpsters and trash, walked around picking up aluminum cans.

Electricity was stolen.

I've been homeless.

I have a girlfriend.
I live in the ghetto.

Applause. Praise.

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
dude! it's not a "life-history" session or something!! :D..
err...it seems this aint' workin as planned :(
and you don't have to compare yourself with my little nerd-points! :D, "Everyone is UNIQUE" is ONE of my fav. statements...

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM

I lost them.

Near sighted.
Emotional.

The other side:

Electricity was stolen.

I've been homeless.

I have a girlfriend.
I live in the ghetto.

Haha cool man. :D

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry for being "cool" and "popular". Some people don't like being geeks you know.

All you got to do is talk to girls and wear the latest and greatest stuff, not hard.

Yeah, some don't...But I take it as a compliment :D...it IS one, anyway...I mean, not liking the fact that you KNOW something?? "Knowledge Is Power" right?? :D

Talk to girls? hehe, I do that...bully em too...they actually can't take my lectures on computers and ubuntu...which reminds me, one "dude" said, "don't say 'Ubuntu' every 5mins" :D...now HOW am I supposed to do that?...Anyway, as I was saying, even though I'm a err..."nerd" (don't wanna compliment myself :D), I do talk to girls and have ma own style and bla bla bla...in fact...I'm surrounded by em...even my DOG's a GIRL!! (pls laugh :D)

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
What happened to, "How much of a geek/nerd are you??"

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, some don't...But I take it as a compliment :D...it IS one, anyway...I mean, not liking the fact that you KNOW something?? "Knowledge Is Power" right?? :D

Talk to girls? hehe, I do that...bully em too...they actually can't take my lectures on computers and ubuntu...which reminds me, one "dude" said, "don't say 'Ubuntu' every 5mins" :D...now HOW am I supposed to do that?...Anyway, as I was saying, even though I'm a err..."nerd" (don't wanna compliment myself :D), I do talk to girls and have ma own style and bla bla bla...in fact...I'm surrounded by em...even my DOG's a GIRL!! (pls laugh :D)

:lolflag: Thanks for understanding me. :D

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
:lolflag: Thanks for understanding me. :D
you're welcome...I knew you'll love that one which is why I even said, "pls laugh" :D...(Me likes makin ppl laugh :D)

anyways...any geeks or nerds out there?? :D... "I'm all aloone!" (quoting "Donkey" in Shrek I)

pwnst*r
May 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM

actually, today's geek IS trendy.

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM

really? hmm...yeah...I guess so...

GEEK Version: 2.9 :D (2.9?? 2.9 >> "2009")

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM

That's wrong. Cute geeks who say quirky things and have cute, curly hair and read comic books? Sure, they're trendy. They're all that. But then they're not really geeks, are they?

Have you ever tried telling your girlfriend the chicken and egg scenario of trying to build Linux from scratch? "So you have a compiler that compiles all of the source code into binaries that the computer can understand them, yeah, but get this: how do you compile a compiler! Eh? Eh?"

Of course you haven't. Because if you were a true geek, you wouldn't even know what women look like.

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
That's wrong. Cute geeks who say quirky things and have cute, curly hair and read comic books? Sure, they're trendy. They're all that. But then they're not really geeks, are they?

Have you ever tried telling your girlfriend the chicken and egg scenario of trying to build Linux from scratch? "So you have a compiler that compiles all of the source code into binaries that the computer can understand them, yeah, but get this: how do you compile a compiler! Eh? Eh?"

Of course you haven't. Because if you were a true geek, you wouldn't even know what women look like.

What If "you" was like me, surrounded by females 24hrs a day even though I'm 24x7 on Ubuntu??

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
What If "you" was like me, surrounded by females 24hrs a day even though I'm 24x7 on Ubuntu??

I'd say you were a charlatan, a cad, and a bounder.

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Just a thought...does my wallpaper disqualify me as a nerd/geek?? :D
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30382037&l=eae946fb0b&id=1421833186
(The above is a screenshot of my current Jaunty desktop...not just the wallpaper)

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'd say you were a charlatan, a cad, and a bounder.

huh? is that some kind of animal?

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hey..If we don't stick to the topic this thread WILL be useless and we'll be in danger of a closed thread!! BOOORING!!! :'(

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oh, so you wear 100$ shoes, with big XL T-Shirts, baggy 80$ jeans, have two diamond ear studs on both ears and have a haircut with a line-up? Haha thought so. ;)

There's a differnt trends out there for differnt groups, not all are the same.

But inside, I'm ag geek, no one knows that at school, so shuushh!:lolflag:

Just a thought...does my wallpaper disqualify me as a nerd/geek?? :D
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30382037&l=eae946fb0b&id=1421833186
(The above is a screenshot of my current Jaunty desktop...not just the wallpaper)

I say, nope. :)

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Oh, so you wear 100$ shoes, with big XL T-Shirts, baggy 80$ jeans, have two diamond ear studs on both ears and have a haircut with a line-up? Haha thought so. ;)

There's a differnt trends out there for differnt groups, not all are the same.

But inside, I'm a geek, no one knows that at school, so shuushh!:lolflag:
oooh!...I KNOW UR SECRET!! why? will you get beaten up if someone spits that out? hehehe

I say, nope. :smile:
Cool...Thanks :D
So, how's it? Ma desktop?

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
oooh!...I KNOW UR SECRET!! why? will you get beaten up if someone spits that out? hehehe

How's it? "cool"..thanks :D

No, I just wont be cool any more if they know. :cry:

I enjoy being "cool" it's fun. Although I do have geeky friends too, sometimes I need a break from the "cool" people. They get annoying. :lolflag:

And it's not all that, just a load of kids with a low IQ talking about girls and who's dating who. :lolflag:

If you're geek, stay a geek, trust me. ;)

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
No, I just wont be cool any more if they know. :cry:

I enjoy being "cool" it's fun. Although I do have geeky friends too, sometimes I need a break from the "cool" people. They get annoying. :lolflag:

And it's not all that, just a load of kids with a low IQ talking about girls and who's dating who. :lolflag:

If you're geek, stay a geek, trust me. ;)

hehe okeydokey! I'll take your advice :D...And yeah..."low IQ"...exactly what I'll say too! :D...and I can't tell anyone that ur a partial geek coz I'm miles away anyway...And I woudn't wanna make ya "uncool" that's plain mean...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who last said something on this TOPIC???!!!! :(

sena-sena
May 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty geeky compared to my friends back home (at uni atm) but compared to most my uni friends, I'm not very geeky.
Tbh, I don't think I've very geeky, just a bit geeky. Also I suppose I'm kinda trendy for my group (we're rockers mostly :D).
But Tipped, I totally understand what you mean - most of what I talk about with "trendy" people is who's dating who and music :lolflag:

b@sh_n3rd
May 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
I became a "Genuine Geek" thanks to, "Linux/Ubuntu"...:D

americano70e10
May 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
What's with this lableling? Geek, cool, whatever. What makes one a geek? And if you're a geek, why can't you be cool? There's no need to choose. Pick your crowd and be whatever you are. Whether it be geek, or cool or both or none.

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
What makes one a geek?

"an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geek

;)

americano70e10
May 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
So I just have to really like computers to be a geek? I think I got that covered.
Sweet!

Tipped OuT
May 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
So I just have to really like computers to be a geek? I think I got that covered.
Sweet!

:lolflag: I'm glad to see people not be ashamed, and be happy for who they are. :)

terabyte1
May 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hmm - this is gonna begger up my street cred! I started with Arc, then unix, then Linux came along, Damn it was hard back then. I was on Suse 6.1 (which you had to pay for) then moved up to Suse Professional 8.2 (I paid half a ton for that too) and stayed with that for a while... then Dapper Drake was featured in a magazine I was reading and I went for it Peace Brother!:guitar: everything was squeeky clean and much easier to use. Man it was so cool - you know what I mean? Hawaay the lads! Linux was reborn ^_^

terabyte1
May 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
not only a Geek I guess I'm a nurd too and maybe even a noob - whatever! I don't give a monkeys! We are One we are Family! Get real!:lolflag:

Tews
May 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM

beat that suckahs.

But... are you an Android, cause everyone knows that only androids dream of electric sheep!!!

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm more geekish than my mates. Hardly anyone I know irl knows anything about linux - I can think of only 2 friends who have ever used linux. A few of my mates do the facebook/myspace thing, and a bunch of them are into posting vids on youtube, but none of them are "into" computers as much as me.

But I'm not really that much of a geek, even though I spend an awful lot of my "personal entertainment" time on my computer. I don't own a tv, so my computer use is my replacement for that. I smoke, I drink like a fish, I listen to horrible music, I strive to have an active sex life. I'm kind of "normal", I guess. (Whatever "normal" means)

Incidentally, I don't mind the term "geek", but I think "nerd" is bad. Dunno why.

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM
But... are you an Android, cause everyone knows that only androids dream of electric sheep!!!

While it is apparently true that androids dream of electric sheep, I'm not aware of there being a rule that only androids could so dream.

pwnst*r
May 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM

wrong. i'm a geek, but am social, drive a nice car, go to the gym, wear nice clothes, and see the sun more often than not.

that's the new geek. not that nerd/geek hybrid crap you're talking about.

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM
i'm a geek, but am social, drive a nice car, go to the gym, wear nice clothes, and see the sun more often than not.

Yeah right sure.

pwnst*r
May 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah right sure.

it's ok that you're jealous, really.

dragos240
May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Well..... I like java, it's simple, it can run in any OS very easily, easy to understand. I spend ALL of my free time on my linuxbox. I lurk this forum every day looking for a good thread. I experiment with multiple distros. I'm trying to find a decent bootloader that will boot regardless of what computer it's on. I have even scraped off any trace of windows anywhere on my computer, even the super key! Also I ordered system76 stickers for my keyboard and machines. I dream about SOMETHING linux related every night, constantly wondering how to put linux on my palm T|E. Wondering if I'll ever get my room tidied up. I even bought a book about linux, and a book about java. Constantly trying to figure out the mystery of iwconfig. Pondering about how if I'll EVER get arch or gentoo on here instead of ubuntu. Wondering how successful I will be in the future. Wondering if I will for-fill my dream of being an entrepreneur. Wondering why there is a spoon on my desk, and why do I constantly adore cats so much!? Anyways that sums up my nerdyness :D

Zzl1xndd
May 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I like to think that I'm pretty Geeky.

I do Tech support (At work right now)

I mostly ware Geek T-shirts (eg Ubuntu/Linux/Windows/Apple and some video game)

I have 2 hats I where most of the Time (Ubuntu and Novell)

I own 5 computers.

I play D&D and Magic The gathering.

I have an LED belt buckle.

Most of my friends are Techs, Sys/Network Admins, Programmers, or 3d Animators.

I love Coffee.

I keep a newtons cradle on my desk.

I own a boxed copy of OS/2 warp.

My Cats Bed is an old iMac.

I'm sure there is more but that should be good for now.

dragos240
May 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I like to think that I'm pretty Geeky.
My Cats Bed is an old iMac.

Is this your cat?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Yet_another_lolcat.jpg

Zzl1xndd
May 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Is this your cat?

No, But when I get home Ill post a Picture. Also I did a better job I lined the Bottom with foam covered in denim.

dragos240
May 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
No, But when I get home Ill post a Picture. Also I did a better job I lined the Bottom with foam covered in denim.

Sounds like my cats' paradise.

Corelogik
May 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think in HTML, CSS and PHP. I watch movies and listen to music and think about the software and tools needed to create them. I often lose people in my discussions of computers, software codecs and DRM. I base my music and movie purchases on how much space I have left vs how much they will take of my HDD.

I talk to girls, have been married and have a child. I cannot stand people who have no thoughts of their own and will do anything to "fit in".

I do my own thing and don't care what others think. I do what makes my family and myself happy and more comfortable.

I grew up poor. No money, no "stuff", an oucast in school and a loner.

Been there done all that. I have more respect for someone who has taken the time to learn something on their own and to a greater degree than someone who has had their life and schooling planned out and handed to them. I know people who have all of the certifications, A+, CCNA, MCE etc, etc and they all still come to me to fix their computers. So much for education.

College degrees are important to be sure but they are not the end all be all of everything.

I am the geekiest person I know.

spupy
May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Me and most of my closest friends study Computer Science. They are not such geeks, you could say I'm the geekiest in the group. Still, I don't like hanging around geeks. I try to avoid geeky conversation around my non-CS-studying friends, I see that they don't enjoy this geek thing being forced on them. I don't like to be friends with ubergeeks. If I only communicate with people of one type (be they geeks or some other "group") I will become a pretty narrow-minded person. So, the question for me is:
"How much of a geek/nerd aren't you?"

OP's post makes me think that he is... around 15-16 years old, maybe? Because I was like him at that age. Then I realized how dorky I am and became a saner person. Geek/nerd still, but saner.
Also, from reading his words, I get the feeling that he is somehow trying to be more of a geek (I couldn't find better words here, hope you get what I meant) by replacing his human intuition and capabilities with "3D images", overclocked processors, thinking-in-programming-languages and other "geeky" non-sense. From my experience this behavior is not beneficial, and any mature person will label you as some kind of a dork, and not a geek.

Remember people - be geeks, but don't be nerd!

mechdave
May 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
When your childern think "shutdown -h now" == goodnight

Tipped OuT
May 22nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
wrong. i'm a geek, but am social, drive a nice car, go to the gym, wear nice clothes, and see the sun more often than not.

Yeah right sure.

I know right? :lolflag:

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
i understand it's hard for you tweens to understand. one day. maybe.

Tipped OuT
May 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
i understand it's hard for you tweens to understand. one day. maybe.

I'm just joking, relax man, who cares if some one doesn't believe you, if you know it's true, then that's all that matters. ;)

screennameless
May 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hmm... how much of one? Well... lemme think...

All of my teachers at my school (Yes, even the technology teachers) agree that I'm more advanced with computers than them. (They even come to ME for help!)

I think in different programming languages. Like C, for example. (Like, if I'm about to say something, in my mind, I'll think "printf("[What I'm about to say]");" or something along those lines)

When I talk to someone (even relatives that are OLDER than me) nobody can understand me, they get lost at the first use of the word "kernel" or "X Windows".

I know different programming languages. Including C, Java, Assembly, C++, Basic (yea I know, but it was my first), VB (second), Python, umm... and a couple others. (I'm tired, so I can't think of all of them right now)

All of my computers run Linux, successfully. No Windows.

My palm pilot runs Linux.

My PSP runs Linux. (working on Nintendo DS, and Wii)

I program in my SPARE time, and time when I'm SUPPOSED to be working.

I'm making a social networking site, it's taken me a month, and I'm 90% done, with only one developer, -> me <-.

I probably have at least 2000 things that can go "beep" in my bedroom alone.

People pay me to make websites for them.

I have a Linux cluster-supercomputer set up in my computer room.

The Board of Education is SCARED of me.

I can't stand people who try and be "cool".

Even my closest friends can't understand me half the time.

Need any more examples? Cause I got plenty.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM

screennameless
May 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM

Eh?

kelvin spratt
May 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well I'm no nerd I just use my computer for what I need it for?

Tipped OuT
May 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Me and most of my closest friends study Computer Science. They are not such geeks, you could say I'm the geekiest in the group. Still, I don't like hanging around geeks. I try to avoid geeky conversation around my non-CS-studying friends, I see that they don't enjoy this geek thing being forced on them. I don't like to be friends with ubergeeks. If I only communicate with people of one type (be they geeks or some other "group") I will become a pretty narrow-minded person. So, the question for me is:

OP's post makes me think that he is... around 15-16 years old, maybe? Because I was like him at that age. Then I realized how dorky I am and became a saner person. Geek/nerd still, but saner.
Also, from reading his words, I get the feeling that he is somehow trying to be more of a geek (I couldn't find better words here, hope you get what I meant) by replacing his human intuition and capabilities with "3D images", overclocked processors, thinking-in-programming-languages and other "geeky" non-sense. From my experience this behavior is not beneficial, and any mature person will label you as some kind of a dork, and not a geek.

How'd you get your PSP to use Linux? :confused:

I have a custom firmware, but I never heard of Linux running on the PSP.

screennameless
May 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
How'd you get your PSP to use Linux? :confused:

I have a custom firmware, but I never heard of Linux running on the PSP.

It's actually really easy... if you have the right firmware. Sony fixed the custom applications bug in the latest firmwares, so if you've upgraded lately, it might not work. There's an explanation here. (http://jacksonm80.googlepages.com/linuxonpsp.htm)

Tipped OuT
May 22nd, 2009, 03:53 AM
It's actually really easy... if you have the right firmware. Sony fixed the custom applications bug in the latest firmwares, so if you've upgraded lately, it might not work. There's an explanation here. (http://jacksonm80.googlepages.com/linuxonpsp.htm)

I told you I had a custom firmware lol..which is the right firmware :p. Thanks!

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM

Good guess...16 :D Next time...try to make me laugh a wee bit more coz I didn't laugh enough...:D seriously..I'm very tickelish :D...I choke when I laugh "enough" but only "almost" choked...:D

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

hehe...reasonable...like ma dad...he's something like a "retired" geek :D
but really cool, like, who knows a cool dad that plays multi-player games huh??? :D

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I can't stand people who try and be "cool"
Hehe...I dunno I'm like that in kind of a different way..

Even my closest friends can't understand me half the time.
Yeah, over here too...but then they get irritated and/or angry and stop talkin after that...I suppose they get angry with themselves for not being able to understand..hehehe

We live in sad times...--from, Tintin and The Picaros

spupy
May 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM

Eh?

Pfff, that is not even OVER 9000!!!

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Eh?

2k things that go beep in your bedroom. list 'em.

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM

You mean, 2000 items??..well...I think only err...2 in my case, My watch and organizer..but then again I don't mess around with em, coz i've got 3 PC's on one table to mess around with...so I forget em as usual...:D I had a couple more watches but they broke, so I don't have so many "beepy-things" as you call em..hehe...spitty, I really like things that go "BEEP!!" around me..it's cool...

tacantara
May 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I might be a geek if....(with my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

1. I read every post on this thread....twice
2. I laughed at the funnier posts because I could understand the humor - while the co-workers in my office looking over my shoulder couldn't understand
3. My co-workers ask me to help whenever they can't get their computer to do what it is "supposed to do" - even though we have an IT section that is paid to handle such requests
4. The same co-workers bring their personal laptops to work for me to "look at" because they can't get them to do what they're "supposed to do"
5. My family and friends are amazed by my "vast knowledge" of all things digital, while they have no idea that 99% of what I know is from research on Google
6. I have my Linux and Ubuntu "Registered User" pics uploaded onto the Windows XP box at my office - as a desktop theme
7. When things are slow at the office, I ask the IT department if I can hang with them, just for the on-the-job experience
8. I have my PC World magazine forwarded to me while I'm out of the country, and while I'm waiting for that to arrive, I go to PC World Online to "see what I'm missing"
9. I'm jealous of the guy who has "2000 things that go beep," because I'm not even close to having that many gadgets
10. I'm the only one in my office to change the default desktop, sound and Office 2007 themes on my computer - because I can

LinuxFox
May 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Would this be kind of geeky? When I was in high school, they had tech people for computer problems. Instead of contacting them, teachers would pull me out of class to help with their computer problems. :P

mikedpirone
May 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm a geek, but with math. I'm an accountant and I love my job because I get to play with numbers all day and get paid for it. I love computers, but they are my hobby, I don't know enough about them or have the time to devote to them to go into this field. Being a geek doesn't have to mean you don't have friends or go out or anything. That's a nerd, a geek is just someone who is enthusiastic about something. There are geeks of all types, ranging from cooking geeks, reading geeks, movie geeks, music geeks, math geeks, it just depends on what your into. And yes, I go out to bars, see bands, have a girlfriend, just got into mountain biking, picking up photography, and am concerned about my personal apperance (aka, not a slob). You don't need to be a social outcast to be a geek, just do what you like.

trivialpackets
May 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
My biggest thing is when I walk into a store, especially a new store, I'm instantly trying to size up their computer systems and network. Then I get stuck in thought about how amazing or poor the systems are and how they could be improved to make the person's job at the store easier. Then I talk to my wife about it in the car and she kind of just nods and lets me be.

days_of_ruin
May 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM

TEA?!?! Hand in your geek card on your way out buster![-(

Zzl1xndd
May 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
As promised the pic of my Cat bed.

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
2. I laughed at the funnier posts because I could understand the humor - while the co-workers in my office looking over my shoulder couldn't understand
And I laughed at that one :D
You actually read every post? cool...

Would this be kind of geeky? When I was in high school, they had tech people for computer problems. Instead of contacting them, teachers would pull me out of class to help with their computer problems. :razz:
hmm...actually, yeah it's cool...unfortunately that doesn't happen to me :D...but then I'm a "closed-source" personality at school...

I'm a geek, but with math. I'm an accountant and I love my job because I get to play with numbers all day and get paid for it. I love computers, but they are my hobby, I don't know enough about them or have the time to devote to them to go into this field. Being a geek doesn't have to mean you don't have friends or go out or anything. That's a nerd, a geek is just someone who is enthusiastic about something. There are geeks of all types, ranging from cooking geeks, reading geeks, movie geeks, music geeks, math geeks, it just depends on what your into. And yes, I go out to bars, see bands, have a girlfriend, just got into mountain biking, picking up photography, and am concerned about my personal apperance (aka, not a slob). You don't need to be a social outcast to be a geek, just do what you like.[quote]
yeah...it is...and math geeks are cool as computer geeks....just slight difference...like the difference between, binary, hexadecimal and decimal :D
[quote=eric.proctor]My biggest thing is when I walk into a store, especially a new store, I'm instantly trying to size up their computer systems and network. Then I get stuck in thought about how amazing or poor the systems are and how they could be improved to make the person's job at the store easier. Then I talk to my wife about it in the car and she kind of just nods and lets me be
hehe, cool...the lecturing incident usually happens to me with my family and many of my friends...(who can be benchmarked by lecturing to em :D)

b@sh_n3rd
May 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
TEA?!?! Hand in your geek card on your way out buster![-(

why you're an "anti-tea brit" person?? :( :( :(
you'll have a cleaner system with tea than coffee anyway..they do opposites anyhow...Oh yeah, Coffee doesn't agree with me...didn't once anyway, after that I didn't even look at it...I throw up...spitty...all that caffeine!!...but without tea at a certain time, I get a headache :D

tweakedenigma, sweet cat :D..

screennameless
May 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM

All of them? Crap... umm...

Computer 1
Computer 2
Computer 3
Palm pilot
PSP
Nintendo DS
Wii
Gamecube
Tv 1
Tv 2
Xbox
Gameboy advance
Gameboy advance SP
Gameboy original
High-Tech Clock
Phone 1
Phone 2
Phone 3
Phone 4 (broken, but it still COULD go beep)
iPod
Printer

And a whole bunch of other crap, if I sat and thought, and listed them all... it might take an hour or more.

I told you I had a custom firmware lol..which is the right firmware . Thanks!

OH. Well, umm... I think I just download the ISO and copy it to the Micro-SD card, then you go to the Games menu, select the Micro-SD submenu, and click "(whatever Linux distro you installed)". It might work, it might not. PSP's, when it comes to custom apps, are somewhat tricky.

Pfff, that is not even OVER 9000!!!

LOL!

Hehe...I dunno I'm like that in kind of a different way..

Ah. I see. Well, I don't hate all of them. Just the ones who pick on the rest of us because we're supposedly "lower life forms" than they are.

screennameless
May 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Sorry for teh double post.

screennameless
May 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Sorry for teh double post.

b@sh_n3rd
May 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Ah. I see. Well, I don't hate all of them. Just the ones who pick on the rest of us because we're supposedly "lower life forms" than they are

Exactly! :D...And yeah, "lower life forms"...feel like planting a virus on those dudes and dudesses :D

Sunnz
May 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Umm...I just thought I'd start this thread for fun...It's all about, "How much of a geek and/or nerd you really are" :D I'll start first...

And look at all the different replies, everyone is so unique and different, sometimes I wonder if we can say that essentially everyone is a geek in their own way.

I probably know more languages than most people, seriously you don't want me to list them... :D but I never thought in terms of programming languages, I might think of more abstract concepts like threads, pipelines, semaphores, etc, but never the actual code itself.

On the other hand I tend to selective about the subject and choice of jargon I use depending on who I am talking to... I don't act geeky in front of "normal" people; but I can get as geeky as you can get with other geeks. Non-geek people in computer classes tend to ask me for help instead of other geeks because I don't usually complicate things or use jargons they don't understand!!

So I am not sure what does that make me, I don't try to be "trendy" myself but I do to hang around with both geeks/nerds and non-geeks... split personality I guess? But it is not like I am not coherent!!

I really enjoy geek jokes, I love seeing things like the iMac for the cat in this thread, it is just cool.

I see stuff in scientifical terms...(dunno a better way to explain this..kinda like awareness of particles and stuff)...

Yes I used to think like that as well!! But it has changed a bit since I took a course in philosophy, what you have here is what they refer to as "materialist" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism)...

Philosophy is really a fascinating subject and I guess that might be the non-geek side of me, but hey philosophers are perhaps geek within their own realm!! (A lot of philosophy students are doing science and knows a hell lot about it.)

sim-value
May 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM

And what about the Geek Girls ?!

geekygirl
May 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM
And what about the Geek Girls ?!

read my username!!!! :lolflag:

I don't think about how much of a geek or nerd I am, I get told it a lot by coworkers and friends though, so I must convey some level of geekiness to them that I am unaware of..

I preferred to think of myself as stylish and all that - but apparantly I do not come across this way to most people...lol
and you know what makes it worse? When people come to my house and see my PC/Laptop 'collection' all running different OS's, me wearing an Ubuntu tshirt, yet INSISTING to them I am not a nerd!!

I also get accused of being an 'aerosexual' because of my love for aviation and aircraft...:D Geeky? maybe a little...

Then again, when you read these sorts of things on the intarwebs, seems people are more intent of proving their geekiness is vastly greater to other geeks than anything else...:P (yet busy denying it to some cute guy at work...hehe)

"Its all good, I am cool..."

Thats pretty geeky though...

oh - I am in denial perhaps?

Daisuke_Aramaki
May 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
i don't consider myself a geek or nerd. but i do get lost in thinking about math a lot. had some issues with a model i was working with, so i was thinking about the construct of the equations in the model when my girlfriend and i visited her parents. we were there for a few hours in the evening. when it was time for us to leave, i told my girlfriend to wait, and that i would get the car from the parking lot, which was a block away from her parents home. all the while, i was thinking about my problem, thinking if it was the concept which was wrong, or if it was my program. so i get to the car, and then i don't know what happened, just started driving home thinking about the problem, completely forgetting the fact that my girlfriend was still at her parents'. I didn't realize until i was close to the Autobahn (highway), which was a good 30 minutes drive from their home, that i got back and everybody started laughing and couldn't believe that I was that crazy. it was pretty embarrassing. :(

screennameless
May 26th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Exactly! :D...And yeah, "lower life forms"...feel like planting a virus on those dudes and dudesses :D

Oh yeah. You don't know how many times I've had to restrain myself from doing that!

b@sh_n3rd
May 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
And what about the Geek Girls ?! hahahaha...good one!:D

read my username!!!!
hehe, cool name, I must say...

I also get accused of being an 'aerosexual' because of my love for aviation and aircraft...:D Geeky? maybe a little...Hmm...maybe, but then again maybe not :D, I like aviation too, I mean, I've got a "Private Pilot" certificate on FS2004 :D (not to brag or anything)..love that game :D

i don't consider myself a geek or nerd. but i do get lost in thinking about math a lot. had some issues with a model i was working with, so i was thinking about the construct of the equations in the model when my girlfriend and i visited her parents. we were there for a few hours in the evening. when it was time for us to leave, i told my girlfriend to wait, and that i would get the car from the parking lot, which was a block away from her parents home. all the while, i was thinking about my problem, thinking if it was the concept which was wrong, or if it was my program. so i get to the car, and then i don't know what happened, just started driving home thinking about the problem, completely forgetting the fact that my girlfriend was still at her parents'. I didn't realize until i was close to the Autobahn (highway), which was a good 30 minutes drive from their home, that i got back and everybody started laughing and couldn't believe that I was that crazy. it was pretty embarrassing. :(haha, I laughed for this one...I'm that absent minded too though...:D

Oh yeah. You don't know how many times I've had to restrain myself from doing that!You mean, On their PC's right? Well, that I've told them directly...ok, sometimes...But in this case what I meant was on THEM!! :D

sica07
May 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm a geek only for those who think that you have to be a geek to run Linux. But in reality i'm a non-geek. Anyway, I surely like you geek-guys (and geek-chicks ;) ). I love to read your posts. You are everything but boring. I could say that I'm fascinated about you :D

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm a geek only for those who think that you have to be a geek to run Linux. But in reality i'm a non-geek. Anyway, I surely like you geek-guys (and geek-chicks ;) ). I love to read your posts.You are everything but boring. I could say that I'm fascinated about you :D

:lolflag:

screennameless
May 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
hahahaha...good one!:D

hehe, cool name, I must say...
Hmm...maybe, but then again maybe not :D, I like aviation too, I mean, I've got a "Private Pilot" certificate on FS2004 :D (not to brag or anything)..love that game :D
haha, I laughed for this one...I'm that absent minded too though...:D
You mean, On their PC's right? Well, that I've told them directly...ok, sometimes...But in this case what I meant was on THEM!! :D

Oh. Eh... heh. As long as your not talking about STD's, okay! :D

b@sh_n3rd
May 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh. Eh... heh. As long as your not talking about STD's, okay!

STD's?...anyways...this thread appears to be dying...:(...what a pitty...
Who turned off the gas?? :D

screennameless
May 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
STD's?...anyways...this thread appears to be dying...:(...what a pitty...
Who turned off the gas?? :D

I don't know. This thread was a pretty good one too...

donniezazen
May 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I agree with you. Life outside it too philosophically incorrect to live.

SK

Tipped OuT
May 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM

SK

Wow...

Dark Aspect
May 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I'am nerdy to this degree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw).

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I don't know. This thread was a pretty good one too...

haha...good you think that way! It did make ubuntuforums really fun. No thread means boring...but then again, this is the first site I visit in a day and the most interesting :D

pwnst*r
May 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM

SK

erm...

Viranh
May 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Well, I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, I enjoy computers and Linux, reading, and playing piano, and my social activities include playing Dungeons & Dragons and World of Darkness. I'd say this puts me pretty far into the geek category.

b@sh_n3rd
May 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM

SK
If you mean the thread, that's funny :D

I'am nerdy to this degree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw).
hmm...
This video is not available in your country.:D :o :( :D
Well, I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, I enjoy computers and Linux, reading, and playing piano, and my social activities include playing Dungeons & Dragons and World of Darkness. I'd say this puts me pretty far into the geek category.
ahuh...about :D

I'm providing bail to my thread...when did I turn into the Central Bank???

steveneddy
May 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
trendy huh?

LOL

I only know one other truck driver that uses Linux, but I may be geekier than he is.

Dark Aspect
May 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
This video is not available in your country.

They ruined that fun didn't they, its just Weird Al Yankovic's White and nerdy :)

I started building computers when I was 13, does that count as a nerd? Although, depending on how you go about building one, I guess it can range between painfully easy and insanely difficult. Even so, I never liked the term nerd, I have always thought of myself as a geek.

WatchingThePain
May 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
i **** sheep. beat that home skillet.

Lol, and I watch!

b@sh_n3rd
May 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
They ruined that fun didn't they, its just Weird Al Yankovic's White and nerdy :)

I started building computers when I was 13, does that count as a nerd? Although, depending on how you go about building one, I guess it can range between painfully easy and insanely difficult. Even so, I never liked the term nerd, I have always thought of myself as a geek.

ahuh, they did :D...Yeah, 13...I started basic programing when I was about 9/10 I think...anyways, 10 at least..."Geek" seems to be more of a "harmless" word but "nerd" seems kinda crude, doesn't it? Nevertheless, I promote myself as a "nerd/geek" :D

Dark Aspect
May 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
ahuh, they did :D...Yeah, 13...I started basic programing when I was about 9/10 I think...anyways, 10 at least..."Geek" seems to be more of a "harmless" word but "nerd" seems kinda crude, doesn't it? Nevertheless, I promote myself as a "nerd/geek" :D

Programming at 10? Well I am getting there if your referring to C/C++. I have already done some basic if else statements and played around with compiling/linkers. I am taking a C/C++ computer programing class in college next semester so hopefully I'll know more about that. It would be nice to write something for the open source community.

Aside from programming, I don't think there is anything else missing from my knowledge of computers.

gymophett
May 31st, 2009, 12:06 AM
I think I'm the only guy that's not a geek here. Hmm, I'm black, trendy, and popular at school. I just have an interest in computers I guess.

Lmao. I'm not a nerd either. I'm white, trendy, and very popular at school also. I just dig computers.

Tipped OuT
May 31st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Lmao. I'm not a nerd either. I'm white, trendy, and very popular at school also. I just dig computers.

My brother from another mother! :D

gymophett
May 31st, 2009, 01:49 AM
My brother from another mother! :D

Pshh. I don't even know you! SECURITY!
:D

WatchingThePain
May 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM

Lol,

I'm tall, white trendy and cool.

That's right...I'm a fridge freezer.

b@sh_n3rd
June 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM

Just a thought, why'd you wanna shoot Tux? Angry with Linux? :lolflag: (at your avatar)

And do you have to be "white" to be, not a nerd?? :D I'm white...OK, not the ghostly white...but the reddish white :D (when my brain's not getting so hot that I start sweating)

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just a thought, why'd you wanna shoot Tux? Angry with Linux? :lolflag: (at your avatar)

And do you have to be "white" to be, not a nerd?? :D I'm white...OK, not the ghostly white...but the reddish white :D (when my brain's not getting so hot that I start sweating)

Actually most geeks in general are "white". So no... being a geek or a nerd doesn't have anything to do with your race.

b@sh_n3rd
June 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Actually most geeks in general are "white". So no...
ahuh...yeah...many...

doesn't even have nothing to do with race either
duh! Did I say something to that effect? :D

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
duh! Did I say something to that effect? :D

Good night, I'm sleepy. :P

b@sh_n3rd
June 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Good night, I'm sleepy. :P

You didn't get what I meant...I quoted something else BEFORE I said the "duh" thing :D
My previous post was composed of two different replies, quoting two segments of one post...:D

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
I had curly huge hair (known as a Jewfro colloquially) when I was at school. I was not popular with girls. Girls were like kryptonite to me. I became a gibbering moron every time they approached. No no, I was all about the computers and the books. I couldn't give an aerial copulation about popular culture, and I think all sports are pointless. Still that was nine years ago. I have a girlfriend now. She's a real life girl with long hair and ***** and everything, and she fell for me before I made loads of money. I also discovered that once you leave school, no one cares about school or the opinions of the people who go to them. Seriously, wait till you're in your twenties and someone starts talking about teenagers or schooling. See how you resolutely fail to to care about either subjects. Trust me, you'll see.

praveesh
June 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Iam a new in this forum . So please tell me the exact meanings of geek and hacker

b@sh_n3rd
June 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I had curly huge hair (known as a Jewfro colloquially) when I was at school. I was not popular with girls. Girls were like kryptonite to me. I became a gibbering moron every time they approached. No no, I was all about the computers and the books. I couldn't give an aerial copulation about popular culture, and I think all sports are pointless. Still that was nine years ago. I have a girlfriend now. She's a real life girl with long hair and ***** and everything, and she fell for me before I made loads of money. I also discovered that once you leave school, no one cares about school or the opinions of the people who go to them. Seriously, wait till you're in your twenties and someone starts talking about teenagers or schooling. See how you resolutely fail to to care about either subjects. Trust me, you'll see.
Many of us "geeks" are quite similar aren't we? :D...like, even I say "pooh" to sports. Well, I do like to stay healthy and excercise a bit and stuff...like, I've walked 2km's at least twice a week :D And I laugh at your, "real life girl" statement :D...but, why'd you say that? what are the "non-real" ones??? :D...

Iam a new in this forum . So please tell me the exact meanings of geek and hacker

well, "geek" would be just an expression for people that are all about science, studying, computers, math, etc. Just check out this article if you wanna: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

a hacker on the other hand, is a person against my ideals..I do not like hackers :D..these are mostly the guys that would literally "break into" someones PC.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
a hacker on the other hand, is a person against my ideals..I do not like hackers :D..these are mostly the guys that would literally "break into" someones PC.

No, no, no! Don't fall into that trap. A hacker is just a programmer. Someone who is good at hacking stuff together. Someone who doesn't necessarily perform programming for a specific goal but for the sheer joy to be had in doing it. Don't make me lecture you on traditional hacker ethics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_ethic) [wikipedia.org]! The media took the word "hacker" and made into something morally suspect. The chaps of whom you speak who break into (not literally!) other people's computers are better known as crackers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hat). Or at least script kiddies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_kiddie). Hacking was originally defined as a noble pursuit. A hacker of the old school is dedicated to sharing, openness, decentralization, free access to computers, and world improvement. Don't let the world take that definition away from you! Take pride in being a hacker, yo.

mofrikaantje
June 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I wasn't one of the popular kids in school, but also not one of the nerds... I didn't excel in ICT class, nor in math and certainly not in physics. I sucked in long-distance running in PE, but I was good in baseball. Now I'm head of a political students' union at my Uni, but when I have some spare time, I'm mostly stuck at my computer I have to admit. So I guess I'm an average geek.
(Although I quite recognize myself in the video of "White and nerdy" from Weird Al Yankovic :D Oh, and I'm also the only one I know to talk about Linux and it's advantages all the time)

b@sh_n3rd
June 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
No, no, no! Don't fall into that trap. A hacker is just a programmer. Someone who is good at hacking stuff together. Someone who doesn't necessarily perform programming for a specific goal but for the sheer joy to be had in doing it. Don't make me lecture you on traditional hacker ethics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_ethic) [wikipedia.org]! The media took the word "hacker" and made into something morally suspect. The chaps of whom you speak who break into (not literally!) other people's computers are better known as crackers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hat). Or at least script kiddies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_kiddie). Hacking was originally defined as a noble pursuit. A hacker of the old school is dedicated to sharing, openness, decentralization, free access to computers, and world improvement. Don't let the world take that definition away from you! Take pride in being a hacker, yo.

Hey coo..thanks for straightening that out for me :D...I thought there was a different meaning to that but wasn't quite sure...all I knew was what I'd mentioned..:D

b@sh_n3rd
July 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hmm...well, I feel awfully bored now after I had to stay away from UF for a week some time ago. I even lost track of this thread. So since I'm bored, how about we spice things up and resurrect this thread? It was quite spicy anyways...and nothing but 4 weeks old... :D

stwschool
July 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm so nerdy that when I was about 11 or 12 I programmed on my Atari ST in GFA basic and then STOS. I made art packages, music programs, platform games, shoot-em-ups. They weren't commercial standard obviously but worryingly close considering my age.
I've been known to own 3 computers at a time.
For a while I began to de-nerd. Then I discovered Linux. It's been all down-hill from there.

b@sh_n3rd
July 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I'm so nerdy that when I was about 11 or 12 I programmed on my Atari ST in GFA basic and then STOS. I made art packages, music programs, platform games, shoot-em-ups. They weren't commercial standard obviously but worryingly close considering my age.
I've been known to own 3 computers at a time.
For a while I began to de-nerd. Then I discovered Linux. It's been all down-hill from there.

Alright I'm back in business! :D, hey cool, I started programming about 10 or so and own 3 working* PC's. And I work on 2 at a time when the situation demands it :D (i.e: compiling Gentoo on one PC while chatting, listening to music and messing around on UF on Ubuntu)

*one additional PC was accidentally killed which is currently scavenged :D. It works, but not without probs...

steveneddy
July 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Going by the attached scale I believe that I am an "Established Nerd"