PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Mice and Keyboards

andras artois
May 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Do new wireless mice and keyboards work with linux, specifically Ubuntu yet?
Do they type or move slower than regular wired mice and keyboards?
I'm looking at the regular wireless ones NOT bluetooth ones.

Thanks.

lordyosch
May 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm writing this from my wireless logitech keyboard. When I'm done i'll submit it with a click of my wireless logitech mouse.

No problems I've found

(I also own the 'Ubuntu' branded wireless mouse (oo get me...))

Jay

Keithhed
May 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm using Microsoft brand wireless keyboard and mouse. Most of the time it works well, but occasionally the mouse will "freeze". I can move the physical mouse and nothing will happen onscreen. Reboot has been my only recourse as I have not found a solution yet (not for lack of trying).

Keithhed
May 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
lol, maybe since I am using Microsoft branded hardware. HMMMM......

Therion
May 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
MS Wireless KB and (an overpriced) Logitech mouse here. Both are non-bluetooth wireless, mouse is laser. Never a problem with either.
Connections are always picked up and response time on the mouse is good enough for even the twitchiest FPS.

bhishan
May 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
logitec wireless combo working perfect

andras artois
May 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Brilliant! I won't be stuck with just using windows when I get my new computer :D The keyboard and mouse I'll be getting are both Logitech.

Just under a month until I can order my new PC :D

Thanks for the fast responses!

Firestem4
May 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
I just bought one of the new Logictech Lx7 wireless mice. Works perfectly. And as an added bonus my battery-monitory automatically detects the battery-life in the mouse too!

(default KDE battery widget)

Corelogik
May 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
I don't like wireless keyboards or mice. I don't like having my ability to use the computer, dependent on whether or not I have spare batteries laying around.

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Using a wireless mouse here, works perfectly fine.

bhishan
May 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I don't like wireless keyboards or mice. I don't like having my ability to use the computer, dependent on whether or not I have spare batteries laying around.

Thats why I bought some rechargeable batteries (one extra pair should be charged while using others). They last pretty long. I think it is better than having ur desk jumbled up with wires. Even with the cordless mouse and keyboard my desk is pretty messy with wires.

bob-linux-user
May 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ubuntu 9.04
Using a Labtec Media wireless desktop 800 on 1 pc (mouse and keyboard)
and
Using a Logitech Lx710 (mouse and keyboard) on my other PC.

Both no problems.
Minor word of caution though. If you have added USB ports using a spare PCI card at the back of the PC, DONT use them for the wireless receiver. Plug the receiver straight into the port(s) that came with the PC. (It won't do any harm but it probably wont pick up a signal at grub loading time either)

ad_267
May 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'm using Microsoft brand wireless keyboard and mouse. Most of the time it works well, but occasionally the mouse will "freeze". I can move the physical mouse and nothing will happen onscreen. Reboot has been my only recourse as I have not found a solution yet (not for lack of trying).

Have you tried hitting the connect button on the mouse and usb thingy? I haven't had any problems with a Microsoft wireless mouse.

Magneto
May 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Microsoft Wireless keyb+mouse 6000 here working perfectly in winblows, ubuntu and osx

kc3
May 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I'd imagine how the computer reads a wireless device would be the same, meh, I had issues with a PS2 mouse. I guess it doesn't realy matter though since a USB mouse is so cheap

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I use this:

http://www.logitech.com/repository/417/jpg/3038.1.0.jpg (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/2987&cl=us,en)

DougieFresh4U
May 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Using Logitech 5 button wireless mouse. Forward and back buttons work great and all works great on all 3 partitions I have set up, with Win 7 and Jaunty and Karmic.

kc3
May 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I use this:

http://www.logitech.com/repository/417/jpg/3038.1.0.jpg (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/2987&cl=us,en)

I used to have that mouse, GREAT mouse, pricy for a mouse but until I actualy had one I didn't know how much worth it it was :D *I bought it originaly out of real curiosity lol*

Corelogik
May 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I only use logitech mice and keyboards, love their stuff. I just dont like wireless. To each his own, YMMV

etnlIcarus
May 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Using Logitech Cordless Wave KB + LX8 mouse combo.

Does it work, you say?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3916/screenshot2x.png

My, "unknown button" (otherwise known as a mouse) almost works properly.

- As it's not properly detected as a mouse, it does not appear in the mouse config dialogs of the major DEs. This means you can't change any of it's settings (acceleration, left/right click, etc).

- The LX8's tilt-wheel works but whoever wrote the driver did a bit of a hack-job of it: rather than it working like a proper horizontal scroll input device, it instead emulates a left/right arrow click on the keyboard. This makes it focus-sensitive and means it's useless in, lets say, text editors: all the tilt wheel does is move the cursor back and forwards.

As for the keyboard, I haven't checked since upgrading to jaunty but Intrepid didn't list the Wave, so most of the media keys won't work.

goku
May 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
thats cool

fbugnon
June 30th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I have a mouse & keyboard from Labtec named "Ultra-flat Wireless Desktop USB" (IR), but couldn't make them work. The lights from the receiver come on (all of 3 if I do a hot-plug-in or just if the computer boots when already pluged), but no movement is detected; "connect" buttons do no better.

BTW, Suggestions are welcome... ;)

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1020:0106 Labtec

RiceMonster
June 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I had a logitech wireless mouse. It worked perfectly, no setup required (it didn't have any special buttons, mind you) but I had to change the batteries every 2-3 months, so I bought a wired.

cariboo
June 30th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I use a MS Arc wireless mouse on my desktop, and A Logitech EX110 keyboard/mouse combo on my media center pc. All three were plug n' play.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Bluetooth mice and keyboards also work seamlessly, although I can never find any.

With the USB ones, you really don't need to worry about compatibility. The USB receiver abstracts the complexity to the point that your computer just sees a mouse as if it were wired ;)

mamamia88
June 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM
everyone i've used have been plug and play no reason it shouldn't work

steveneddy
June 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Own and use two Logitech Bluetooth mice which work perfectly.

Own and use a Logitech non-Bluetooth mouse (LX-7 I think) and it works great.

Have a non-brand (or maybe it's a Logitech or Microsoft, I don't remember) mouse and keyboard set and they also work extremely well.

All including the Bluetooth mice were all plug and play. It was just like plugging in a USB powered mouse or keyboard. Instant on with no interruptions.

I do suggest the LX-7 Logitech mouse. It's a laser mouse but you don't actually see the laser, so it saves your batteries. The mice with the little red laser seem to really suck up the batteries.

I am on the road CONSTANTLY and must rely on my hardware daily or don't make any money. I have used all of these mice on the road with me and currently have the Logitech V470 Laser Bluetooth Mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/mice/devices/3287&cl=us,en) with my Ubuntu laptop and it works flawlessly daily to help me work and relax after hours.

I highly recommend all Logitech products as they are very Linux friendly.