PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading drives with a software RAID configuration

mboisson
May 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hello,
I am using Ubuntu Hardy with 3 500GB drives and the following RAID configuration :

/boot is on a 100MB RAID1
/ is on a 30GB RAID0
/home is on a 906GB RAID5

I want to replace the 3 drives by 3 1TB drives.

Here is how I planned to do it :
0- Backup my /home on some external disk.
1- backup / with something like :
sudo tar cvpzf /backup.tgz --exclude=/media --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home /
mv /backup.tgz $1
2- Replace 1 disk
3- Boot and let the RAID1 and RAID5 reconstruct
4- Replace 1 other disk
5- Boot and let the RAID1 and RAID5 reconstruct again
6- Replace the last disk
7- Boot and let the RAID1 and RAID5 reconstruct one last time
8- Boot and restore the backup on the RAID0 / partition.
9- Resize the /home partition to 1 TB.

I suspect there will be a problem replacing the primary disk, but I guessed that I could solve this simply by changing which is the primary disk in the BIOS.

Is there any other problem that will or could happen ?

For example, I am not sure if the raid manager is on the /boot partition or on the /. I guess if it is on /, it won't work at all since the raid manager itself won't be able to run ?
Also, is it possible to boot and access a command line to restore the backup with a failed / partition ?

I am also unsure about how I should proceed to resize the /home partition. Is this done through mdadm ?

Please enlight me on any problems that I will have.

Thanks

whoop
June 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I recently created a software raid1 array for my home partition. I came to the conclusion that the md0 partition was to small for my needs. I was able to enlarge it.
This thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1165328
contains everything I did, including resizing of the array. Maybe there's something useful in this thread for you