PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I go back from 9.04 to 8.10?

dormant
May 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 Ubuntu on three machines.

I have had numerous problems since the upgrade on two of those machines and don't have the patience to debug them or even to list them.

Is there a simple way to downgrade to 8.10?

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
nope, can't downgrade (but maybe there ought to be a way)...Your only alternative is to backup and reinstall of 8.10.

dormant
May 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
A downgrade option would be a great boon.

I seem to have fixed my problems, on the laptop at least, by booting with the previous kernel.

I always wondered why GRUB gave me a choice of kernels and now I seem to have found out.

My problems seem to have been mainly associated with the mouse in Nautilus - sometimes it lost focus, sometimes it didn't respond until I used alt-F to access the menu, and sometimes it appeared to be on a totally different menu than the one I selected.

Just to explain that last one, there were several occasions when I right-clicked on a closed window in the bar at the bottom of the page and it gave me a response from the fast-switcher applet!

Fingers crossed it works on the other machines. Maybe I scared Ubuntu into fixing itelf - I was downloading Debian 5.01 to install in its place.