PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Ubunta work straight away with wifi?

ironman357
May 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hello I am new to linux. I would like to know if I can install ubunta on my laptop and it will work straight away or will I need to download additional drivers to get wifi. If so were can i get these drivers ? My laptop is a fuju-siemans.
I have tried using the live CD but it just crashed all the time, when I could get on I couldn’t get wifi.Forgive my ignorance as I am new to linux.

Mark Phelps
May 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
If the LiveCD just "crashes all the time", you have a lot worse problems than getting WiFi working.

Minor problems like screen resolution and WiFi driver installation can be fixed post-installation by checking these forums for fixes. But general "crashing" indicates something much more serious.

You can go ahead an force an install (if you can get the installer to run without crashing), but don't be surprised if you end up with an unusable machine.

You would need to address the crashing issue before you do an installation.

Suggest you open a new thread with that topic and post whatever error messages or other indications you're getting.

ironman357
May 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
If the LiveCD just "crashes all the time", you have a lot worse problems than getting WiFi working.

Minor problems like screen resolution and WiFi driver installation can be fixed post-installation by checking these forums for fixes. But general "crashing" indicates something much more serious.

Suggest you open a new thread with that topic and post whatever error messages or other indications you're getting.

The system freezes then crashes, sometimes it fails to boot. I was led to believe that this was because it was booting from the CD. From what you say it seems to indicate this is not the case ?

donkyhotay
May 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
liveCD's have some disadvantages in terms of speed and getting less standard hardware working (such as wifi) but isn't anymore unstable then a regular install. They can actually be even *more* stable, especially a liveCD thats designed to help repair a broken system.