PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Jaunty Tip: Install Adept or Synaptic instead of KPackageKit

skullmunky
May 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
If you're having trouble installing software using KPackageKit, the Software Management tool in Kubuntu 9.04, install synaptic or adept and use that instead.

After running into a bunch of problems - random failures and timeouts, inability to install standard packages like Java, etc., I filed some bugs; according to the author of KPackageKit, it's not really ready for primetime on Debian systems yet in the first place so we should probably be using something else.

I can see why it was optimistically included in Jaunty, the interface is very streamlined and user friendly, but it's not quite ready yet. So, save yourself unnecessary headaches and use a different graphical package manager in the meantime.

3rag0n
June 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
If you're having trouble installing software using KPackageKit, the Software Management tool in Kubuntu 9.04, install synaptic or adept and use that instead.

After running into a bunch of problems - random failures and timeouts, inability to install standard packages like Java, etc., I filed some bugs; according to the author of KPackageKit, it's not really ready for primetime on Debian systems yet in the first place so we should probably be using something else.

I can see why it was optimistically included in Jaunty, the interface is very streamlined and user friendly, but it's not quite ready yet. So, save yourself unnecessary headaches and use a different graphical package manager in the meantime.

"I can see why it was optimistically included in Jaunty, the interface is very streamlined and user friendly, but it's not quite ready yet"

You're right... well, not exactly about the 'user-friendly' part... but yeah, it does integrate well with the KDE desktop in terms of design philosophy... but right now i'd just call it alpha software... with a serious lack of customizability. But i sure do hope the kubuntu team will think twice in the future before including such stuff with a widely-used, popular distro and not even shipping an alternative like adept - which was so good.... its like, if it works, break it.

Honestly, we KDE4 users have had enough beta/alpha software experience, havent we?;)

teogin
March 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
So, how can I install adept or synaptic instead of kpackagekit, as the message I take is "Package cache could not be opened"?