PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multi-Boot Question

invenit
May 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'm new to multi-booting, but I have no problems getting WinXP, Ubuntu 9.04 and CrunchBang to work OK on a 250 GB drive. Here's the problem: PCLinuxOS 2009. When I install just PCLinuxOS & WinXP then all is well. OTOH, if I try to keep Ubuntu or CrunchBang + WinXP + PCLinuxOS, then grub does not work for the Ubuntu distros. ](*,)

To get around this, maybe I should look at a payware solution like BootIT? Anybody comment on this, or maybe suggest a better alternative?

Mark Phelps
May 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
To get around this, maybe I should look at a payware solution like BootIT? Anybody comment on this, or maybe suggest a better alternative?

If GRUB isn't working now, I seriously doubt that a payware solution is going to fix that.

Need to post more details about GRUB not working, like, what are you seeing and what error messages are you getting?

Bucky Ball
May 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
You might like to try LILO:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p4.html

That could be of some help. Might work.

ashmew2
May 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
I think PCLinuxOS uses GRub (?) , you just need to install grub separately to each OS's root and then install Grub to MBR as a whole. After that just use chainloading.

Maybe taking a look here will help : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724817

Bucky Ball
May 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
It is not up to the OS. Grub bootloads Windows or Ubuntu or whatever, not the other way around. Some say LILO is more efficient. PCLinuxOS does not require a particular bootloader, it requires the right commands from a bootloader. :)

invenit
May 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, folks.

I just reinstalled PCLinuxOS (in place of CrunchBang). Grub works fine for WinXP & PCLinuxOS, but I get this error message when I select Ubuntu: root (hd0,5) filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 chainloader +1 Error 13: invalid or unsupported format.

I use ext4 for Ubuntu. No matter, however, since grub didn't work for Ubuntu when I used a different format.

I'm exploring some of your suggestions now. Let me know if you need more information.

P.S. On one of my previous installs, I did try Lilo (it's an option with PCLinuxOS), but it also did not allow me to start Ubuntu.

Bucky Ball
May 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
root (hd0,5) filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 chainloader +1 Error 13: invalid or unsupported format.

Run:

sudo blkid

in a terminal and post. I think your Grub is just finding the wrong drive perhaps ... that can be fixed.

invenit
May 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks! Here's the output:

/dev/hda1: UUID="FE7886ED7886A3CD" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/hda5: UUID="9a48f4f7-0fe9-41d8-a621-a066cbdc70e0" TYPE="ext3" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
/dev/hda6: UUID="f8d3de95-7815-4435-87de-ddf338debca5" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/hda7: TYPE="swap" UUID="0af97ed5-d1a3-4bed-9f63-2abdc47c4ec0"

ashmew2
May 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
It is not up to the OS. Grub bootloads Windows or Ubuntu or whatever, not the other way around. Some say LILO is more efficient. PCLinuxOS does not require a particular bootloader, it requires the right commands from a bootloader. :)

Sorry for not phrasing myself clearly there but I meant that "Does it install Grub when it installs itself to the hard disk or does it install LILo or some other boot loader ? Like Ubuntu/Fedora install Grub to the MBR or the partition you specify."
:D