PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no graphic screen

Ampi
May 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Two days ago I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a 6-year-old Toshiba Satellite L10 and it installed slowly but fine. Once installed Ubuntu seems to boot well, I have been able to use it, installing programs and such and also restarting the laptop a couple of times.

But since yesterday when I try to boot the laptop I get the ubuntu logo and then the screen becomes black (as normally just before the beginning of the graphical part) and then it stays black with a red a blue vertical line.
If I go where the "Applications" menu should be I get some kind of an unfolding menu, text, lines or any other useful graphical property.

I only have a working screen in verbose mode and when I try to open a program I get the more often seen gconf error:

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information.

I guess this being due to the same issue why graphics doesn't start to begin with.

Any idea what went wrong and how to solve this? Or at least what should I be posting of output...?