PDA

View Full Version : UK Estate Agents live in alternate universe, again!

fatality_uk
May 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I am currently looking to buy another property closer to work. Now a very simple way to check the previous ceiling price for a property in any area in using sites like www.houseprices.co.uk.

I have just viewed a property which is £30,000 more than the highest price EVER paid for a property in that cul-de-sac, I didn't have time to check prior to leaving at lunch time so didn't know.

Dispite the recession, house price deflation for the last 18 months, these jokers are ONE AGAIN trying to create a UK housing bubble.

This is the 7th house I have seen like this in the last 3 weeks. The problem is that house owners are suckered in by the patter and the promise of being able to beat the recession.

It's time for the UK estate agency "profession" to be regultaed to the max.

I am really concerned that once again, 1st times buyers, will start to be priced out and UK house prices will reach a bubble a lot quicker than before.

gn2
May 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
A house is only worth what the market will pay.
Valuations are just a guide.
Offer the price you want to pay, if the vendor wants more they may well have a long wait....

fatality_uk
May 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
A house is only worth what the market will pay.
Valuations are just a guide.
Offer the price you want to pay, if the vendor wants more they may well have a long wait....

Wrong, wrong and right.

Agents often drive local markets way beyond "true" worth as they are doing right now. Why do you think the UK housing market has crashes in 12-15 year cycles. History repeating itself and lessons never learned.

Vendors often don't have a "true" value of a properties worth. Especially in today's market. They rely on agents "working" out the value to market a property. Agents talk ****s**t!!!!

gn2
May 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
It's true, true and true in the bit of the UK where I live ;)

We have different (and strange) ways up here.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I love those shows where people have their house valued, and then do a tiny bit of painting and throw a rug or two down on the floor, and they have it valued again and it's worth thousands more.

I hope you have better luck finding a place to live. I've been struggling to do the same for a while, too. Here's a translation from estate agent English to English for future reference:

cosy; small
quaint; small
compact; small
spacious; small
cosy yet modern; small, undecorated
charming; small, hasn't been decorated since 1945
airy; has a really bad draught
scenic; you can see a tree outside the window
quirky; the previous tenants had no taste
pleasant; boring
a study; a box room
whimsical; stinks of cats
country living; no high speed internet
peaceful; you will get mugged in this neighbourhood

fatality_uk
May 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Ahh just checked your info panel :)
The "Offers above" system. I feel your pain :S

sydbat
May 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
It's true, true and true in the bit of the UK where I live ;)

We have different (and strange) ways up here.It's true, true, true in the rest of the world too. Of course the Brits have always been a bit strange...:tongue:

All joking aside, I think that the only way a home will sell is if the person buying is willing to pay what the asking price is. You should be able to negotiate, and if the vendor is unwilling to budge then they lose, not you. This is different in a sellers market, however.

gn2
May 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Ahh just checked your info panel :)
The "Offers above" system. I feel your pain :S

It's only painful when there are more buyers than houses.
The house I'm in now, when bought was the seventh one I had bid on and I had to purchase surveys on all of them prior to bidding.
Total spend on surveys was over £1000. Eek!
At the time I paid 20% over the asking price and I was lucky to get it.

nothingspecial
May 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
£30,000 sounds way too expensive to live in Liverpool.;

Just packing my bags for Rome):P

MikeTheC
May 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
I'd mention the simple little 2/2 apartment I'm selling in S.W. Florida, but there just isn't time...

amitabhishek
May 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sharks everywhere!!!

fatality_uk
May 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM

Leeds actually :D

Rome? Permanent move?

lisati
May 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
but there just isn't time...

Tardis broken?

nothingspecial
May 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Leeds actually :D

That`s even worse!!!

Sorry as a staunch Manchester United fan my father indoctrinated me from an early age and I couldn`t resist after seeing your avatar.

Still completely off topic my 5 year old son said to me a few days ago (about football not the city itself)

"We hate Liverpool the most don`t we Daddy"

"Yep"

"And then City?"

"Nope, they`re third, We hate Leeds second"

"Leeds? .........

.... who are they?"

I thought that was brilliant in a kind of Accrington Stanley milk advert kind of a way.

No offence meant. :D

Rome? Permanent move?

Not a bad idea ....... It wouldn`t rain so much.

Bölvağur
May 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I saw very cheap houses in berlin... but I guess that's a little too far drive from your work

gn2
May 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Rome? Permanent move?

Many of Ally's Tartan Army never came back from Argentina, so there's always hope :)

fatality_uk
May 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
That`s even worse!!!

Sorry as a staunch Manchester United fan my father indoctrinated me from an early age and I couldn`t resist after seeing your avatar.

Still completely off topic my 5 year old son said to me a few days ago (about football not the city itself)

"We hate Liverpool the most don`t we Daddy"

"Yep"

"And then City?"

"Nope, they`re third, We hate Leeds second"

"Leeds? .........

.... who are they?"

I thought that was brilliant in a kind of Accrington Stanley milk advert kind of a way.

No offence meant. :D

Not a bad idea ....... It wouldn`t rain so much.

Non taken. I am a part time LFC fan, really an F1 junkie, however, there wasn't a TuxG2 with an F1 theme :)

As for Leeds, it funds my extravagant lifestyle :lol: so I have to come here everyday :) 160 miles round trip daily so hence the need for a close base.

And that was SUCH a good advert :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieK7b4KLL4

fatality_uk
May 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Many of Ally's Tartan Army never came back from Argentina, so there's always hope :)

Has any of the Wembley pitch or goal posts ever resurfaced after the lucky win :D

suitedaces
May 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM

:lolflag: